Obama vs McCain - the 2008 US presidential election campaign

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Madison, Jun 4, 2008.

?

Who do you WANT to be the next US president

Poll closed Nov 3, 2008.
  1. John McCain (Republican, Arizona)

15.3%
  2. Barack Obama (Democrat, Illinois)

75.0%
  3. Third-party candidate

1.4%
  4. I don't really care

8.3%
  1. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

Was it the last election or the one before where the exit polls picked a democrat win when it was actually Bush? Can't remember whether it was his election or re-election

2. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

He was pretty much the favourite this time last year though. Him and Mitt, no?

When was it McCain had to fire all his staff? August-ish. God, whatever happened to Fred Thompson?

3. POP!

POP! Not unhinged or unhappy

I don't want to sound really awful or anything and I obviously hope it doesn't happen, but I can totally see the assassination happening. There are obviously a fair few far right wingers that would be happy to see him dead, it's just whether any of them would actually act upon it or attempt it. Let's face it though, there's only so much a secret service team can do.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. jonhawk

jonhawk Bluffin' with my muffin

Are you thinking of when the TV networks called Florida for Gore in 2000 then changed their minds later in the evening? I don't think that was much to do with the exit polling, rather the fact they had made an assumption on the partial result, when in fact it was still too close to call. Some people have said it was because the TV networks were in a race to announce it "first".

5. POP!

It was his first election. Gore ended up winning the popular vote by a considerable amount, but Bush won the electoral college, so therefore he won the election. It's about time they eliminate the electoral college, it's useless.

6. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock one of those "they/thems"

As i've mentioned before on Moopy, I had a dream where he did get assassinated that was horribly realistic. I certainly haven't ruled out the possibility.

...It was Mrs Palin, with the air rifle, from the helicopter.

7. POP!

In hindsight the Kerry nomination was an awful decision. In the past couple decades the Republicans have been far more aggressive than the Dems and Kerry just wouldn't defend himself properly.

8. jonhawk

Yes he was an early front-runner, but I think only because of his media fame. But that was all about hype - Mitt Romney was more of the surprise, huge funds, well connected but a flop at the polls.

9. JERG

JERG User

As tragic as that would be it would probably backfire on the Republican party. Making a martyr out of Obama would clearly glorify "diversity" and shun republican ideals. The whole party would need a massive makeover should that occur.

10. Madison

I disagree that it's useless - it's not perfect, but a direct election wouldn't be either.

When chosing a leader of a federal government, it makes sense to give the votes to States.

11. Madison

I couldn't believe it a the time, that the Democrats would chose a Senator from the North East.

John Edwards would have made a more interesting candidate IMO.

12. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

It's not much different from ours, really... just on a wider, grander scale.

Having said that, proportional representation in the UK wouldn't work as it'd just lead to an Italian style series of impossible coalitions, but it would work better in America's two-horse race...

13. POP!

I'm really against it, it was originally created out of distrust of the general public to make an informed decision, with news media and a more aware public I think it's certainly time for it to be erased. What exactly is the benefit of having an 'all or nothing' electoral college where a state like Pennsylvania has a 48/52 split and ALL the electoral votes go to one ticket? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's an outdated system and do you really think Gore getting 543895 more votes than Bush, yet losing in the election is logical?

14. JERG

JERG User

Don't remind me. I get so furious to think that some EC voters actually believed that a moron like Bush could ever be a better president than the proven Commander in Chief that is Al Gore. The only thing Bush had going for him was his constant pandering to the religious right. The EC is supposed to be protecting voters from that type of "brainwashing" politics. The irony.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  15. funky

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4901b4ed09a7795e/490161650136ff59/b56d1651/-cpid/5c604c875d31de97/clipID/783981/video_title/Saturday+Night+Live+-+Update+Thursday%3a+Bush+Endorsement/video_imgurl/http%3a%2f%2fvideo.nbc.com%2fplayer%2fmezzanine%2fimage.php%3fw%3d350%26h%3d196%26path%3dnbc2%2f2cde5682032c0421001c2da21944138d_mezzn.jpg%26hash%3d1467ecb80b049c2baf8282c961bc2714/video_url/http%3a%2f%2fwww.nbc.com%2fSaturday_Night_Live%2fvideo%2fclips%2fupdate-thursday-bush-endorsement%2f783981%2f/video_description/Pres.+Bush+endorses+McCain+and+Palin?storeInPid=true" id="W4727a250e66f97234901b4ed09a7795e" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4901b4ed09a7795e/490161650136ff59/b56d1651/-cpid/5c604c875d31de97/clipID/783981/video_title/Saturday+Night+Live+-+Update+Thursday%3a+Bush+Endorsement/video_imgurl/http%3a%2f%2fvideo.nbc.com%2fplayer%2fmezzanine%2fimage.php%3fw%3d350%26h%3d196%26path%3dnbc2%2f2cde5682032c0421001c2da21944138d_mezzn.jpg%26hash%3d1467ecb80b049c2baf8282c961bc2714/video_url/http%3a%2f%2fwww.nbc.com%2fSaturday_Night_Live%2fvideo%2fclips%2fupdate-thursday-bush-endorsement%2f783981%2f/video_description/Pres.+Bush+endorses+McCain+and+Palin?storeInPid=true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>

not as funny as the last ones but 'Palin' still gets all the best lines

"been goin around this great country of ours, doin a bit of shoppin..."

16. Madison

Anyway...

POLLS:

[​IMG]

Obama 375
    McCain 157
    Ties 6

BETTING MARKETS:

<object width="500" height="500">

<embed src="http://content.intrade.com/flash/us08/partner/loader.swf" base="http://content.intrade.com/flash/us08/partner/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="500"></object>

Obama 347
    McCain 191

17. funky

I don't think I've seen so much blue on an electoral map...

look at them, all the way down to North Carolina and Florida... imagine if it ends up that way

18. Madison

[​IMG]

19. funky

IN THE LAST FIFTY YEARS :Oi:

20. POP!

That's not the case though. The state's population votes and whoever happens to win that state gets ALL of the electoral college votes either Democrat or Republican. So if Bush won a state the Republicans in the electoral college for that state were sent in to vote, and REQUIRED to vote Bush. That's why it doesn't make sense to me, if you're basing the decision on the public's vote, why not make it direct? It's just a silly system to me.

21. POP!

And Obama will be HEAVILY campaigning in the west in states like Nevada and Colorado this weekend, hopefully he will secure those areas.

22. Madison

Because the great states of Maryland and Rhode Island gave up their sovereignty - in return, the federal government gave them representation in the electoral college greater than their numbers so that they wouldn't be overrun by the other colonies.

If you don't like it - amend your constitution. Or get your state to sign up to the interstate voting compact.

23. POP!

There are PLENTY of people who are against it. It's just I think there will need to be a greater uproar a la 2000 for it to finally be eliminated, which unfortunately I don't think is anytime soon.

And according to my US President Rate research, a few presidents have been against it as well, but nothing has ever been done.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  24. Madison

25. POP!

Nope and thanks for the link, I hope the rest of the states will follow suit, it's about time. And this is my new favorite picture:

[​IMG]

26. funky

Maybe the McCain campaign will find one solitary person useful to them before this thing goes to the polls... talk about being surrounded by the best and the brightest!

27. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I am wearing a big round VOTE OBAMA sticker.

I can also reveal the results of my exit polls from the Americans I know, who did their postal votes this week.

Obama-Biden: 3
    McCain-Palin: 0

28. Madison

My exit poll shows a similar pattern:

Obama-Biden: 1
    McCain-Palin: 0

29. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Ooh, a landslide.

We should collate the results of these polls and sell to CNN.

30. jonhawk

That's absolutely appauling! What a CUNT.

31. POP!

It's getting A LOT of attention in the US media, GOOD. What a freak.

32. jonhawk

The stench of desperation is overpowering. What the hell was she thinking!? Nice way to turn it around for McCain!

33. funky

My favourite part is that Fox News were covering as their lead story ON LOOP for 2 days before it was emerged to be fake. They are now a laughing stock (again)

Surely you research a story like that first before you cover it ad finitum?

34. POP!

No funky, Fox News maintains that it's fair and balanced. Which is probably the biggest lie ever told :zombie:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  35. jonhawk

"The most trusted news in America"

36. Barack Osama

Barack Osama User

McCain will win the election

Remember the Bradley effect, lots of people to look all PC will say to the pollsters that they will vote for Obama and then in the ballot box vote McCain

He has to answer serious questions yet as to whether he is a muslim and whether he was even born in America, one of his team even has taken court action over it, Obama is a fraud, a tax and spend liberal with no experience who's whole campaign is about linking McCain with Bush

McCain will win the presidency by a narrow margin

37. jonhawk

:manson:

What are you on about you utter TWAT.

38. Barack Osama

Barack Osama User

Nice greeting

You are obviously a Obama fanboy, your perogative either that or you are a :black: yourself and are just in favour of your fellow "brother" either way is irrelevant as he is not fit to be President

The guy has hardly any political experience, has dodgy friends like Ayers and Wright, is suspected of being a muslim himself (not a crime but not appropriate in this day and age with Islam being at war with the West and America) and is very lied about his birth certificate to get into the presidency

He will be exposed before election day, people will vote for McCain through the "bradley effect" and McCain will get the presidency and you fanboys will be crying your eyes out while us GOP celebrate

God bless America, god bless John McCain

39. funky

ooh have we got an American Nazi on moopy? FABULOUS

Guess what mate - you're about to be owned by a black man. GET USED TO IT

40. Barack Osama

Barack Osama User

The only black man in the White House come next January will be the chef, the servant, the cleaner, the janitor and other menial staff certainly NOT the President