Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license

Discussion in 'Pop' started by RJN, Jan 10, 2021.

1. RJN

RJN User

Number 1 on Spotify and Apple Music US and UK :o

I have personally never heard of her but apparently she is the new Disney star. The song is pretty good, in a Lorde-lite kind of way. Between this and SZA blowing up, 2021 is off to a good start for the charts.

The middle 8 is the best part (and the part that sounds most like Lorde)

@Jark @POP! @VoR @Gangsta Nancy Lam @Devil @BoysForSeles (based on who posted in the Lorde Green Light thread)

POP! and Jark like this.
  2. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

That artwork just looks like Ariana doesn’t it :o

3. RJN

RJN User

I can kind of see it but its just hard to imagine Ariana with her hair like that

4. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Yeah I saw this came out of nowhere so gave it a spin. Don’t love it but it’s decent enough and it’s refreshing to have a brand new ‘pop’ act clean up so quickly on streaming with something much different to the normal streaming hits.

5. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I do quite like it but wish she didn't periodically slip into that affected voice - it is very standard Spotify pop girl.

6. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Its quite an interestingly crafted song actually. I don't love it, but good for her getting a hit with something a bit different.

Jark likes this.
  7. Jark

Jark I... know... how bad you want this

I really like this, a lot on first impression. however to say it's heavily indebted to Lorde would be an understatement. it's basically COSPLAY!

no objections to it blowing up though.

Pipo likes this.
  8. Jark

did we know she comes from something called High School Musical: The Musical: The Series? :D

Gangsta Nancy Lam and VoR like this.
  9. RJN

RJN User

I love that name so much

10. Pipo

Pipo The devil's in the details

I just was reading this, I had no idea she's a Disney Star on the rise. While I was at it I sampled some High School Musical songs and the contrast between those and what Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron did in the past is shocking, when did teens become so angsty and moody?

11. joanne

joanne u made her like that

what a debut song! the bridge is jarring. 95

12. Jark

what a rollercoaster post :D

Penelope, Ag, Pipo and 2 others like this.
  13. joanne

i meant jarring in a positive way!

it's giving me Lorde meets Alessia Cara

14. VoR

VoR Take it or leave it

It sounds more Maria Mena than Lorde to me. (I realise that's kind of a deep pull but the verses REALLY sound like her!)

Ag likes this.
  15. Devil

Devil I Need A House

It’s blowing up. Already 25k ahead of Little Mix and that’s missing some streaming :o

16. RJN

RJN User

Most streams in a day ever for a song in the us today :o

17. joanne

Day 1 — 2,029,363
    Day 2 — 6,273,988
    Day 3 — 10,068,818
    Day 4 — 15,167,905
    Day 5 — 17,009,697

50 million streams in 5 days on Spotify alone. this is absolutely insane! :o

biggest WW Spotify daily streams (minus xmas):

#1. Drivers License, 17.0M
    #2. Despacito, 11.3M
    #3. I Don't Care, 11.0M
    #4. 7 Rings, 10.4M

18. VoR

VoR Take it or leave it

What triggered it taking off so fast? It seems like it really came from nowhere.

19. joanne

she's been a bit of a mini celebrity (High School Musical) & continued to built a fanbase on social media by posting videos of her singing with a guitar/piano, they're really good! we knew her as "the biggest Swifte who could sing & write" & the Swifties kinda adopted her last year when Taylor reposted her Cruel Summer cover & started liking her insta posts. she had 300k followers 5 days ago, now they're 4 million.

i guess all that gave it its initial first day push, but the way it's been exploding is unprecedented. it's getting big on Tik Tok too but that cannot explain those numbers. perhaps the song really is just that good, a mix of nostalgia, a fresh new angsty teen debut artist who's not edgy like Billie & Gaga but veers towards a more approachable Taylor/Lorde/Adele lane

20. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Yeah it's insane how it's doing. 65k now in the UK so should end the week once streams are added on around 90k+ :o

21. Dance Witch Abortion

Dance Witch Abortion User

I can't believe this is achieving over 1m streams in a single day, in the UK alone.

22. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

And that's just Spotify streams...

Dance Witch Abortion likes this.
  23. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

It's a cute song. I guess many people just needed something new for the new year. Still the 5 day rise to acclaim and $ucce$$ is quite impressive.

24. passthatdutch

passthatdutch User

Slim pickings for new music & lack of competition has probably helped. Few artists release in December any more because of the xmas song streaming domination. January releases seem even thinner on the ground than usual this year too. There don't seem to be many established artists releasing new stuff right now.

25. dUb

dUb EXCITING WEIRD

I’d heard about this but had no idea she was NINI FROM HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL THE MUSICAL THE SERIES which I have watched in full twice :shock:

Pipo and Jark like this.
  26. Jark

of course you have :D

please don't actively support her though @dUb, we don't want her career over before it's even begun.

Pipo, ZenGiraffe, ZZ and 2 others like this.
  27. Ill Advised

Ill Advised User

I am not normally one for conspiracy theories but I did read this blind item about it

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2021

Blind Item #8

When you do the payola thing and the bot army to lift a song to the top of the charts, you try and be as subtle as possible and try and make it look realistic that it could have possibly happened organically. No one believes it did, but you are supposed to make it at least look possible. The mouse house had a miscommunication with the company that does their rigging and they have a big mess on their hands. There is no way that someone who is on a not very highly rated show and never had a single released before and had half their social media followers bought through a company, is going to break a single day download record for a song. The whole thing doesn't look good at all.

28. Jark

doesn't look good at all? :D

ok.

boomers don't understand teenagers pt. 784791000

POP!, joanne and Ill Advised like this.
  29. Ill Advised

Ill Advised User

I mean there is definitely an element of that on my part. OLD

30. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam Slut's Spaghetti

I thought this was going to be great. Its the kind of thing that's usually right up my street, right down to being released by some random Disney alum, but the song is just a bit boring for the most part.

(NO, IT'S THE CHILDREN WHO ARE WRONG.)

RJN, Tisch and Jark like this.
  31. Alla

Alla Beast in Black

Oh I totally believe there's something about it. Remember back in the day when record companies bought thousands of singles to make a song number one? Didn't A1 do that?

32. Dance Witch Abortion

Dance Witch Abortion User

Louis Walsh used to drive round with his boot full of Boyzone singles.

ZZ likes this.
  33. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Hmm, I genuinely think the song is connecting. I’m not sure how you could rig it with streaming I’m the way that you could with buying physical copies (to the extent of the streams this track is getting).

34. joanne

:D

35. COB

COB My Forever

I think it could be even easier these days, to be honest - you can probably do it with BOTS.

36. octophone

octophone WHOLE! NEW! WORLD!

Oddly plausible.

The song is decent tho'. Even my old ass found it touching in a weird way and there is bog all else out there.

We never used to be so cynical about artists/labels exploiting the January deadzone but in those days, the measurement was "a sale" rather than the arcane system we have now.

37. Alla

Alla Beast in Black

For sure, I'm not buying this, sorry.

38. Jark

for what purpose? why buy streams? as soon as you stop the streams go away. and they'll spend more money than they make with streaming profits being so miniscule.

plus this hasn't happened before so it seems unlikely they'd get it so right on the first try if they were really just BUYING A SMASH. much easier to believe it's organic.

POP! likes this.
  39. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Music Week

Inside Olivia Rodrigo's record-breaking Drivers License campaign
    by Andre Paine
    January 15th 2021 at 6:04PM
    [​IMG]

Olivia Rodrigo has started the year by breaking streaming records.

The rising star has debuted at No.1 in the UK singles chart with Drivers License (Polydor/Geffen). Billed as the singer, songwriter and actor’s debut original single, Drivers License entered the chart at the top with 94,770 chart sales, including 10,873,117 audio and video streams across the week. Just three non-festive tracks have previously beaten that weekly streaming total.

According to Official Charts Company data, the track set an all-new record as it surpassed Ed Sheeran’s Shape Of You to claim the UK’s highest number of streams ever in a single day for a non-Christmas song. Drivers License racked up almost 2.407m streams in 24 hours on Tuesday (January 12). Shape Of You previously held the 24-hour record in 2017 with 2.274m streams.

Drivers License also had the biggest opening week of overall chart sales for a No.1 debut single in nearly five years, since Zayn’s Pillowtalk in February 2016. At 17 years and 11 months, Olivia Rodrigo is the youngest solo female artist to land a No.1 hit since Lorde in 2013.

The single has set a global record for the most one-day streams on Spotify for a non-holiday song. It had over 15.17 million global streams on Janurary 11, then broke its own record with 17.01m streams the following day.

Drivers License is No.1 on the Spotify UK, US and global charts. It also made No.1 on Apple Music and iTunes in both the US and UK.

Here, Lucy Dann, Polydor Records director of marketing, takes Music Week inside the UK campaign…

Olivia Rodrigo has broken streaming records - how did you make such an impact with the single in the UK immediately upon release?

“We primed the release with our partners and had the video asset (which is excellent) before Christmas – so everyone knew it was coming the first week back. It was then the first thing we reminded everyone of post-Christmas – so it got the focus before the year really kicked in. The level of support we have had from all partners is A-plus.

“Olivia has an audience already through socials and her High School Musical success. I don’t think anyone could have predicted that the fanbase was so vast and the track would charge this quickly, but it boils down to an excellent song with an artist who knows how to talk to their audience.”

It's the first big new hit of 2021 - how can you maintain momentum on this track?

“Radio are on board – we got Radio 1 and Capital this week – it’s hard to deny a track that flies in at No.1 and breaks records as a debut. It’s also just an excellent track and perfect for UK radio – so this is just the start.”

What are the plans for her this year – and what can you do in terms of promo during the pandemic?

“There will be much more to come from Olivia this year and we are getting into the promo now, since a lot of requests have come in as you can imagine. So much can be done remotely now and even though she is in LA we can get good facetime – I think everyone is used to doing the Zoom promo now.

“The skill is going to be making sure we hold moments back and space them throughout the year, so that we keep this momentum up. It’s been a very exciting week – so we need to keep that feeling up.”

dUb likes this.
  40. VoR

VoR Take it or leave it

Whether there's a degree of rigging involved or not, if it wasn't connecting with people it'd just be money spaffed up the wall, but it obviously is so I don't think it especially matters.

RJN likes this.