Orange is the New Black

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by POP!, Jul 21, 2013.

1. POP!

POP! Across that county line

An ex-lesbian money launderer for an international drug trade turned domestic fiance is sentenced to 14 months in prison. I'm only one episode in but fucking love it already :disco:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nryWkAaWjKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

What, is she an ex-lesbian or an ex-money launderer? :D

3. POP!

Both! Her ex-lover (who was female) was her partner in crime and ratted her out when she got caught years later. My favorite bit about all of this is that it's based on a true story, a memoir actually.

4. Halli

Halli FEAR the RETURN

That trailer looks fucking amazing. With these netflix series, do they stand a chance of making it on to teleivision in the future. I haven't even got netflix

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  5. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

How can you be an EX-LESBIAN? :D I suppose there are a lot of ex-straights out there though.

6. Halli

Halli FEAR the RETURN

Ask Jodie Marsh honey

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

Omg I just finished downloading the first season and can't wait to start this. I don't think I've ever heard anything hyped as much as this by so many people who I usually agree with.

8. Phoenix

Only in countries where they don't have Netflix but I assume they will release them on DVD after a while.

9. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

House Of Cards has gotten a DVD release so I presume this will too at some stage

10. POP!

It's the future of television shows, I think, these Netflix originals. I love how it just kind of erupted out of nowhere.

I don't personally have Netflix, I just torrented the 13 episodes.

11. Phoenix

So I've burned through six episodes today and its very enjoyable and watchable. At the same time it's a bit too sanitized and Americanized for my taste. it feels more like a camp than a prison, there's none of the darkness or grittiness of something like Bad Girls.

Still very good show just that with all the hype I was expecting a bit more than I got.

12. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

My impression is that they play it as her "experimental university phase" or something. At least at the start. She got involved with a woman who made her money through drugs, became embroiled in the money-laundering side of things and then left her when it all got too much and carved a normal life for herself.

There isn't so much hype as there was a shitload of Netflix advertising, no? They were plugging this so hard while I was watching through Parks and Rec that I eventually gave in, and i'm glad I did.

It's "Bad Girls" but American, and yes... more sanitised and with higher production values. I've watched a few episodes though and it's pretty good. There isn't one character that BORES me and the series benefits from having both strong known actors and a larger cast of talented unknowns. I like how you simply don't KNOW how to feel about the lead character throughout. You empathise but at the same time, she's definitely a bit of a cunt.

And these two are just adorable. (SORRY 4 GIF)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  13. Phoenix

Well I've finished season 1 and my opinion remains the same, lovely character, enjoyable show but it's still too glossy. All the women seem to have interesting stories (apart from the meth addict) but we get tiny tiny glimpses, other than Piper who I quite liked by the end of the season they all felt under utilized. Same for the guards although I loved what they did with Healy. I guess now that she's beaten meth addict/Jesus inmate to near death she'll be in there for quite a while.

14. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

This show is utterly brilliant.

15. supermassive

supermassive transpeople

Love it. I feel for Crazy Eyes and love the meth christian :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  16. POP!

Was kind of getting slightly bored up until the Thanksgiving episode, which is the best until that point. I finally feel like they're being able to develop the characters beyond a superficial level.

Alex is quickly becoming my favorite- and how they mess with the crazy Christian (who was in CROSSROADS, I'm pretty sure) is comedy gold

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  17. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Two time Academy Award winning Private Lesbian Jodie Foster directed episode 3, the one with the transsexual firefighter.

I'm up to episode 5 and enjoying it a lot, although Red's Russian accent is at times appalling.

18. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Finished this last night.

INCREDIBLE. I love how they could juggle such a huge cast.

Sophia is such a QoL :disco:

I cannot wait a whole year for this to come back. Apparently it's had more viewings than everything else on Netflix combined which is just insane.

OITNB TOP 5

01 Sophia
    02 Red
    03 Nicky
    04 Taystee
    05 Natalie Figueroa (for being such a fabulous cunt)

Special mention to the adorable John <3

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  19. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I finished the series this morning. It's the snippets of the back stories which give you enough hints but leave plenty to the imagination.

I loved MethChristian's abortion clinic drama and how she found god as a result. I hope Michelle Bachmann and her gay husband watched it and were appalled. Crazy Eyes has been upgraded for Season 2, and the one scene with her white parents was intriguing.

The very final scene had me shouting
    "Kick her, kick her in the cunt"
    , and then she did!

I also enjoy the two female prison officers. The boiler faced one's line "Why do men with moustaches always look like they've touched a little girl" (or similar) was my favourite I think.

20. Phoenix

So apparently Laura Prepon is leaving in season 2 and will only appear in a few episodes. Also the meth addict has been promoted to series regular which means she's not dead.

21. POP!

That's kind of disappointing. Piper annoyed me occasionally but she tied the whole thing together and was the focus of the whole premise and ultimate S1 cliffhanger. But I guess they have developed all the other characters enough to maintain the show without her as a primary focus. I kind of wanted to see how she continued to evolve within the prison and with the other inmates. She pretty much made herself universally hated by the season finale but I wanted to see her progress in that environment, with those characters.

22. Phoenix

Laura Prepon plays Alex and not Piper.

23. Tetris-Rock

They've said that they're leaving it open for Laura Prepon to return, although i'm not sure how one writes someone on a long sentence out of a prison drama without killing them off. Send her to the SHU for fucking ages?

Not sure why she is so keen to get out either. This is easily her most successful gig since "That 70s Show."

An article about Netflix on The Guardian yesterday seemed to infer that the show that only achieved a moderately positive reception compared to "House of Cards" but i'm guessing that's probably based more on the author's own taste than fact. Might also be related to the awards nominations that "House of Cards" has received. I have no doubts that this will will receive a few also when the time comes to it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  24. POP!

Oh. PHEW. But still, disappointing given that I just started to like her near the end of the season.

25. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Why didn't anyone tell me Kate Mulgrew was in this? :evil:

26. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Such a good series, the final episode was great specifically the last scene which was way overdue.

27. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I started watching this yesterday and it's amazing so far. I want to see more of the prison girls though.

28. Treacle

Treacle User

The supporting cast are fantastic but I don't like Piper OR Alex (Alex became more likable as the season when on, though) I never really rooted for Piper apart from at the end of season 1 when
    she had those two terrifying stand offs with Pensatucky
    and I find the scenes with her in tend to be the least engaging. I despise Jason Biggs' character Larry and I think that makes me dislike Piper furthermore.

I loved the flashbacks of the other inmates and I'm disappointed not to have seen Crazy Eyes'. Someone on this thread mentioned they didn't like Pensatucky's backstory but I liked the fact that her conviction was due to her being bat shit mental and not due to bad luck, sorry timing or desperation of upsetting personal circumstance. It made her feel more of a real criminal and as some have mentioned, Lichfield doesn't seem like a prison.

The stand out characters for me have been Poussey Washington and Crazy Eyes because both have made me genuinely belly laugh and cry. They are really underrated. I've really liked the storyline developing with John and Daya but I don't really see where it can go. I love all the Chicas. The Chicas and the Ghetto ladies are awesome.

Regarding the finale of season 1 and what it will lead to in the next season
    I'm pretty sure this will land with Piper on her feet. She wanted to resolve the dispute with Pensatucky in a similar way to how she won over Red and it seems pretty certain that what is left of her teeth are lying in the snow. I reckon they will end up calling it even and conspiring to bring Healy down instead which would be disappointing but we know Pensatucky isn't dead and battering someone is surely worse than what Miss Claudette did and she ended up being transferred out...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  29. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

I too wasn't rooting for Piper, I found her quite irritating at times and thought that she deserved the things that were happening to her. But overall I really enjoyed the first series and I really look forward to the second one.

30. Phoenix

June 6 :disco:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e99SkdcB2UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

31. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

32. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

Up to episode seven (and possibly ruining it for myself). Living for Queen Vee :disco:

33. Tetris-Rock

I'm not into Vee. The show is manipulating me in all the ways it intends to. This may be one of my favourite programmes EVER. So pleased that season 2 hasn't shown too much self-awareness or deteriorated markedly in quality.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  34. Loufoque

I like that Vee's arrival is repositioning the black girls as force to be reckoned with.

35. POP!

I'm only on Ep 2 so far, hopefully focus is turned back to all the S1 characters SOON. But as it was, a decent season opener

36. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Watched two episodes so far, and loving it! Having no Piper in episode two was a brilliant idea!

37. Loufoque

The first episode was by far the worst. Piper gets a lot better this season though. Although obviously the best stuff is all the blacks vs Latinas vs Red's gang shit :disco:

38. Phoenix

Also only two episodes so far, I like the Piper centric first episode and her new inmates.

39. Phoenix

And now up to seven :D it's a bit ridiculous that the prison is turning into a full fledged supermarket and no one gives a shit.

I wish we would be getting more inmate backgrounds (the flashback are a bit superficial and don't serve much this season) instead of fucking Larry....I mean what's the point of that shit?

40. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I just watched the first episode, I thought it was just ok and I probably wouldn't have bothered if it weren't for that ending!