Out Of Control - New Album

Discussion in 'Girls Aloud' started by Strawberry Jam, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I can't believe that is the real cover...where did we get it from?

I mean, I like the "Girls Aloud" behind them on the picture but that would render a second title pointless...

I don't believe it !

2. dUb

dUb IFFY

Well here's the single(/picture disc) cover from the official site

[​IMG]

and the album cover is on play.com.

:gross:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

[​IMG]

Someone do some photoshop magic.

4. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Someone pinch me and tell me again they're on the SAME FUCKING LABEL.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  5. Mikey

Mikey User

Oh yes its time for the annual Girls Aloud album review by Popjustice:

The Promise

Well! It's like an elegant, sophisticated 70s disco song inexplicably missed off the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. It's the first single and you've already heard it. You might not feel moved to play it very often, but when you hear it you enjoy it. It is the Girls' least brilliant (ie worst) comeback single to date, but it's still 'a pop treat'.

Best lyric: "Giving up just looking into windows"
    Is it amazing? Fairly
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? Sort of. Yes on a good day

The Loving Kind
    Well! Like 'Call The Shots' and Kylie's 'The One' this is essentially a hi-NRG ballad. Rhymes the word 'kind' with 'disinclined'.

Best lyric: "The issue's never mentioned, with all the best intentions" - CLASSIC TENNO*
    Is it amazing? Yes. Really properly amazing
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud PLUS Xenomania PLUS Pet Shop Boys standards? Let's be honest - no

* It's probably Miranda having said that

Rolling Back The Rivers

Well! Sonically it sounds like Girls Aloud doing 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. The chorus has a great "ah-ooh" bit but the track's a bit nothingy - do we really come to Girls Aloud albums for lyrics like "there's a feeling in my soul that sets my heart alight"? WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OUR MINDS ON THIS (seeing as it's Track 3, a traditional 'single position' on an album).

Best lyric: "Ah-ooh"
    Is it amazing? Yes
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? No

Love Is The Key

Well! It's like a Girls Aloud album track mixed with one of the upbeat (good) songs on the Gabriella Cilmi album. Lyrically it's basically Paula Abdul's 'Opposites Attract' or A*Teens' 'Perfect Match' with various "you save all your money, I get into debt" type business.

Best lyric: "The life and soul of the party it's safe to say you're not"
    Is it amazing? Yes
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? Yes

Turn 2 Stone

Well! It's like a mid-tempo piece of electronic incredibleness based around an ethereal "don't turn away, or you'll see it turn to stone" refrain. There is an amazing zoomy whoosh noise in the middle eight.

Best lyric: "Say you want to be certain, certain that this feeling will never fade"
    Is it amazing? Yes

Untouchable

Well! Let's start off by saying that this runs to over six and a half minutes. It's fast, electronic and fantastic. The build-up to the chorus is immense: there's a great bridge ("I know a heart shouldn't beat so hard and sometimes you're swimming with the sharks"), a brilliant bit where it all drops out, and then a massive chorus - "in my dreams it feels like we are forty storeys tall, when you're around we're untouchable". The second time the chorus comes around there's a second part which includes the line "we're beautiful robots dancing alone".

Best lyric: The robots one
    Is it amazing? Yes
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? YES

Fix Me Up

Well! This is down tempo but it is not a ballad. We are aware that certain people might in fact refer to this as 'low slung'. The intro and middle eight have a vocodered, pitched-down (or sung by A Bloke) "oh sex me up cos I'm feeling like I want you" line. It's basically a song about fucking.

Best lyric: "Fix me up in the middle of the morningevening"
    Is it amazing? It's better than anything by The Enemy
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? No

Love Is Pain

Well! It starts off pretending to be 808 State, then decides to be 'Break 4 Love' for a short while, and then ends up thundering into an early-90s electronic sort of affair. There are some brilliant "oh-oh-oh" bits at the end. That is a picture of a whip by the way, we know it doesn't look anything like one but it is.

Best lyric: "It don't matter to me, just be faithful to me"
    Is it amazing? Yes

Miss You Bow Wow

Well! The intro kicks off with "everybody love love loves everybody everybody love love loves everybody everybody love love loves everybody everybody loves good loving". VERY GOOD. It might not actually be "good loving". It might be something else. The important bit, though, is the "everybody love love loves everybody everybody love love loves" portion - a lot of the song's based on a lyrical repetition but what's most amazing about this is how the song shoots off in a series of unexpected directions as it progresses - a trick which continues right into the last forty seconds. This might have the best chorus, melodically, and lyrically, on the album.

Best lyric: It's the chorus - "I remember living that dream, twenty minutes in a hotel bar, then I slip into your girlfriend's jeans, and I remember saying baby hold tight, twenty hours in the Twilight Zone, the only lovers in the world that night"
    Is it amazing? Yes
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? VERY YES

Revolution In The Head

Well! It has a very agreeable "hey hey hey, oh oh oh" bit, which is a real bass-from-the-speakers-running-through-your-sneakers sort of pop moment. It's mid-tempo. It's alright.

Best lyric: "Revolution in the head don't count for nothing, you gotta move that ass, revolution in the head don't count for nothing, you've gotta beat the past", which is an excellent Oasis diss even if it's not meant to be
    Is it amazing? Yes
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? It is a very pleasant if functional album track

Live In The Country

Well! It's basically the sequel to 'Swinging London Town' - waking up with a hangover and wondering whether things might be better with a couple of cows mooing outside your window. There's a great naivety to the lyrics ("if I live in the country I'll find another way - get rich, live in the country, I know I'll be okay"). It should also be noted that this is a drum 'n' bass track. Basically it's completely ludicrous. Ends with the distant bleat of a sheep.

Best lyric: "I want ducks and a lake and a family portrait and a pipe and a dog at my feet, I want a stall at the fete selling strawberry shortcake"
    Is it amazing? Yes

We Wanna Party

Well! It's a lot like Lene from Aqua's 'We Wanna Party', mainly because it's a rocked-up cover of that very song. We're not exactly sure why this is on the album but nobody's getting hurt, it's only a bonus track and it sounds great in a 'What Will The Neighbours Say?' kind of way.

Best lyric: "We're so depressed we wear our shades at night"
    Is it amazing? It is above average
    Is it amazing by Girls Aloud standards? Not in 2008

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. Sheena

THE READY BANDYING AROUND OF THE WORD DISCO ANNOYS ME LOTS

I mean, how the FUCK is "The Promise" disco in the SLIGHTEST ?!

7. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Can we have someone decent to review the album and not shonky popjustice?

8. Mikey

Mikey User

I was just reading on the Popjustice messageboard (:manson: worthy I know) that the full album promos have gone out to the press today so shouldn't be too long at all before reviews start popping up everywhere.

9. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Dunno why Kimberley and Nadine were going on about it being a lot like "The Promise"

10. Slave

Slave User

I fucking hate the Popjustice reviews, particularly of Girls Aloud. I'm not saying their albums have been absolutely awful, but you'd think almost every single track they'd EVER produced is a bloody masterpiece. If you line up all their tracks side by side I'd say they miss almost as much as they hit.

11. Jake

Jake On A Mission

what kind of special edition will we be getting? :disco:

12. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Yes but it's all opinions, isn't it? I'm sure if you lined up every Girls Aloud review side by side they'd be bad almost as much as they'd be good.

The whole reviewing thing is actually really silly.

13. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

"Untouchable" sounds AMAZING.

14. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I still can't get over that album sleeve, I think it literally is the worst sleeve design I've ever seen.

15. Slave

Slave User

However I'd wager that the majority of reviews were orchestrated with a genuine opinion. PopJustice consists of: "This is AMAZING", why? "Because it IS" but what's actually good about the song? "It's by Girls Aloud!!! and it features robot noises/plink-plonk sounds/TWO CHORUSES (Amazing!!!)/A not-quite-80s-but-not-quite-00s-sound/etc.

I mean, come on, we're five albums in now, we KNOW how the general construction of Xenomania songs works, that doesn't automatically make everything "Literally the best Girls Aloud song EVER!!"

It really, really pisses me off because even the biggest Girls Aloud fan could find something to criticise in their material. With PopJustice it's like "This song is great, if you don't like it then you don't GET pop music" - well no, some songs just AREN'T the best thing EVER.

*explodes*

16. Suomi

Suomi User

to be fair, the worst Girls Aloud songs I've heard have all been covers. They've never done anything I would even class as 'bad', bar some of the weaker moments on the debut.

they are VERY consistent

17. swangali

swangali MEAN BOY

Have a go at me if you like, but I love reading Popjustice :shy:

18. Slave

Slave User

I really, HIGHLY doubt, as much as I would love to, that every song on the album is, as implied, "Amazing". I would save that analogy for 'Something Kinda Ooooh', 'Biology', etc. Not just as a generic description for everything.

Consistent...I'd perhaps agree. Consistently "AMAZING" - no way.

19. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

:D

(although they haven't been that way with The Promise or Sexy!NoNoNo, but I will keep this under my hat because I liked that post. And they were hardly openly negative about them)

I do properly love PJ again actually. Obviously I wouldn't touch the forum, but the site is definitely my favourite music website around, as samey as it may be.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  20. Slave

Slave User

I will let this go now, but I DO remember the second-by-second review of the opening to 'Sexy No No No' and it did consist of many "the vocals sound like a ball bouncing into the chorus" and "The 'woo woo's in the outro are AMAZING!!!!"

But generally I do read the site. I just think think they go totally OTT over Girls Aloud and in a way that gives casual readers the wrong impression. It took long enough for their music to get noticed by critics, it doesn't help when loons are running around heralding EVERYTHING as the second coming. It harks right back to the days when Busted fans would insist they weren't a pop group, they were a rock band and would go on and on about it all the bloody time.

21. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Well I've never seen the word "Amazing" over analysed so much in my life...

Tongue FIRMLY in cheek perhaps?

22. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

[​IMG]

23. Sheena

24. infatuation

infatuation User

Official album cover

[​IMG]

Fan edition of 'Out of Control', available from the Girls Aloud official website this coming Monday. It will have both pictures and lyrics in the booklet, rather than just lyrics. It will also come with five signed postcards and a link to a free download of the Dave Aude remix of "The Promise".

[​IMG]

Also available is another disc at Woolworth's, like last year's "Mixed Up". The disc, titled "Crowd Control: Girls Aloud Live" is available for £5 with the purchase of either "Out Of Control" or "Tangled Up - Live At The O2", or for just £3 if you buy both.

1 Intro / Sexy! No No No...
    2 Sound of the Underground
    3 Can't Speak French
    4 Biology
    5 Push It
    6 Call The Shots
    7 Jump
    8 Something Kinda Ooooh

25. Sheena

Hmm, do I actually need Girls Aloud Live ?

HMMM

26. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Oh I won't be bothering with that live disc, not for a fiver anyway. A download of Push It will do.

27. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

The full live DVD is only £10 on Amazon.co.uk

That font is still horrific. It could at least match the "Girls Aloud" going around the room.

28. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

I wonder if they toss a coin in regards to who gets to stand in the centre :D

29. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

A 'live' Girls Aloud disc? What a shoddy idea.

30. Samuel

Samuel User

All of that info on the special edition is COMPLETELY FALSE.

31. Sheena

Then what IS correct ?

32. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

SORRY! I obviously got the last one wrong:
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry about the shoddy work, I literally took 5 minutes to make that.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  33. Samuel

Samuel User

I think the live album is going ahead but the above isn't the tracklisting that's been approved, the cover for the Fan Edition is different as well.

34. Suasexed

Suasexed User

The GA website's been updated and Girls A Live is only going to £1.99 when you buy the album which is probably worth it. They've put the full tracklisting up as well, but as it's flash I can't copy and paste and can't be bothered typing it all out.

35. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

From Girlsaloud.co.uk:

Girls A Live tracklist:
    1. Something kinda ooooh (Live at the Local in Birmingham)
    2. Waiting (Chemistry Tour Live at Wembley)
    3. Call the shots (Tangled up tour live at the O2)
    4. Deadlines and Diets (What will the neighbours say? live at Hammersmith Apollo)
    5. Close to love (Tangled up tour live at the O2)
    6. Love machine (Live at the Local in Birmingham)
    7. Biology (Chemistry Tour live at Wembley)
    8. Graffitti my soul (What will the neighbours say? live at Hammersmith Apollo)

36. Sheena

Oh for £1.99 I'll get it...just for completist purposes

As long as Woolies has the album cheap enough, that is...

37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

i was thinking that, but then i'll never listen to Mixed up again, and i just sold Sound of the underground

38. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

For £1.99 I'm in

I'm getting quite excited about this album now

39. Slave

Slave User

Gah, do you have to go instore to do it? I tried to buy the two albums online and both ring through at £8.49

40. Jake

Jake On A Mission

YAY

I shall get it for that.