Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

Discussion in 'REAL MUSIC' started by wurst, Jun 22, 2020.

1. wurst

wurst User

Any love for potentially 2020's album of the year..? RAVE REVIEWS all round.

[​IMG]

Whilst I liked her debut Stranger In The Alps (especially Smoke Signals and Scott Street) I vastly preferred the Julien Baker album that was out at the same sort of time (Turn Out All The Lights), however this is SUCH a step up! Really beautiful songwriting and melodies all through the album. 'Moon Song' and 'I Know The End' are my initial highlights, but the whole album is just a beautiful thing to absorb from start to finish.

Kyoto is also one of the - if not THE - songs of 2020. I'm finding it ludicrously addictive and can't stop playing it despite having already lived with it for a couple of months:

FetchFugly likes this.
  2. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I had a listen to this yesterday, having been intrigued by the excellent reviews.

Very lovely, if not rather one-paced.

"We all hate Tears In Heaven / but it's sad his baby died" is quite the lyric :D

FetchFugly and Jark like this.
  3. wurst

wurst User

Stick with it if you can, it's SUCH a grower and really reveals it's charms over several listens.

Also, the sound of the entire world imploding during the last minute of I Know The End is just :disco:

4. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

I've played the album once and enjoyed it in a background way but Chinese Satellite is GREAT. I will persevere.

5. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I totally skipped back to check that really was what she said on my first listen. What a line :D

She is a great lyricist. Kyoto is also one of my favourites this year, and I echo the love for I Know The End as well. The album definitely benefits from a more focused listen rather than being something on in the background. I played it last night and again first thing this morning.

6. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Hmm. Maybe I wasn’t giving this my full attention but it really just seemed to plod along