Podcasts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Phoenix, May 30, 2015.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I've been very much enjoying Sofie Hagen's 'Made Of Human' podcast recently. She has some great guests, and it's really quite life affirming, amusing stuff about what it is to be human, essentially.

I appreciate that may sound like a pile of wank, but it's rather marvellous.

2. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I currently listen to the following:

The Archers
    FiveThirtyEight Politics
    The Bugle
    Polling Matters
    West Wing Weekly
    Page 94: The Private Eye Podcast
    No Such Thing As A Fish
    Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast
    BBC Friday Night Comedy
    BBC Comedy of The Week
    More or Less
    Today In Parliament
    The Taxcast
    DumTeeDum
    Good Job, Brain!
    In Our Time
    Today In Parliament
    The Westminster Hour

3. Ag

Ag User

Today In Parliament must be good.

4. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

It's especially good when the Lords are sitting but the Commons is in recess.

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

How do you manage it? I can barely keep up with my 5, and two of them are only 10 minutes long at the moment.

One is "50 inventions that made the modern economy" by the More or Less people. It's interesting, a little too short to say much, but I feel there's always a bit of a hateful undertone to it, that you don't get in the mild MOL.

So-and-so invented this, and it changed our lives forever. But at WHAT COST? Also he was a ruthless cunt.

6. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

I listen to this 50 Inventions one too. Yes, I think too that they should've made the episodes longer and meatier, but it's good anyhow.

7. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

FYI @lolly - We're on acast now.

We put out new Episodes every Friday. It's 50 First Dates today - a truly appalling movie but surprisingly easy to talk about.

Just to reiterate my shameless whoring, but reviews really help us with visibility so if any of you have 5 minutes to drop us a quick write up on whatever your preferred listening platform is, it would be much appreciated. 10s in the next Moopyrate etc.

8. lolly

Lovely I've found you, thanks. I'll probably only listen to the ones of the films I'm really interested in because it's not massively my thing, but I may download the lot and delete them after a while. I'm guessing that will help your stats.

VoR likes this.
  9. VoR

Thanks, I'll take it. :)

Although to bang the drum just one more time, if you're going to do something a bit meaningless to give us a boost (and I say that with total gratitude), a quick iTunes review is probably the best way to help improve our visibility. Needn't be more than a line or two and a star rating.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/beyond-the-box-set/id1215482070?mt=2

10. lolly

***** 'I might listen to some of them'

VoR likes this.
  11. cwej

cwej User

No-one has mentioned S-Town, effectively Serial season 3. After the shockingly shit Season 2, this is back on form. I'm only 2 episodes in and my jaw just dropped. :o

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I quite enjoyed S-Town but it hasn't stayed with me like the first Serial did. It's very much in a similar style but the tale is more odd than gripping.

13. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Sod VoR, I want to know what's happened to NICKONTHEFLICKS?

Alex likes this.
  14. VoR

So my little podcast is still trucking along, and this week we have our first Moopy guest as @Suomi joins us to discuss the frankly incredible 'The Room'. If you want to hear me have a full on hyperventilating laughing fit over poor Claudette and her breast cancer, download now.

http://beyondtheboxset.com/btbs/18-the-room-2/

If you haven't seen 'The Room' I would highly, highly recommend it. This key scene gives a flavour.

BABUUUYE!

Suomi and dUb like this.
  15. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I keep meaning to see the live show they do with Tommy Wissau at the Prince Charles, but I can't get anyone to agree to go with me!

Suomi likes this.
  16. Mugatu

Mugatu Can I be gay in the Army?

I totally endorse that choice, The Room is probably the funniest movie ever made. The ludicrous structure, never-ending, bizarre erotic scenes and dubbed lines that start about an hour after the actors close their mouths are like watching someone else's incoherent nightmare.

Suomi likes this.
  17. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Pop songwriter/artist Tom Aspaul has a new podcast called Bottle Pop which is really good. He talks to songwriter pals of his about various Moopy-friendly pop topics; the newest episode with MNEK covers MKS/Mariah vs JLo/Xenomania.

dUb-APPROVED :moira:

18. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I've only discovered Go Bayside which deconstructs every episode of Saved By The Bell.

It's amazing.

Suomi and Ellie like this.
  19. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

That just reminds me of the latest season of Orange Is The New Black with Boo's mock trial, breaking down someone's reliability by proving they had not seen the later seasons of Saved By The Bell despite saying it was their favourite show :D

monsta likes this.
  20. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I'm seeing My Favorite Murder* live in September. I would've gone for the VIP/meet and greet ticket primarily for the better seats but it was DOUBLE the price! I mean, I love them but it's just a podcast

*I can't recall if it's been mentioned on Moopy, v popular and divisive (the tone is not for everyone) true crime/comedy podcast with female hosts. Totally goes against what I said in this thread months ago about not wanting to hear a crime podcast with humour, turns out I was just waiting to find one that was actually funny

21. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Oh I love that one! I'm quite far behind, but they're both brilliant and I don't have a problem with their 'irreverent' tone, thought I can see how some would.

22. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

LOVE MFM. I do hope they'll swing by the UK at some point. It's one of the few podcasts I can repeatedly listen to old episodes.

23. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I actually stopped the last one I was listening to, to switch over to something they recommended: Someone Knows Something. Would NOT recommend that one though. :bruised:

24. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I even went back and listened to Georgia's other podcast Slumber Party, which is great if you just enjoy women from LA talking complete shit (which apparently I REALLY do)

I have less compulsion these days to listen to MFM episodes immediately so I let them stack up a bit and then go on a binge, I was a bit fatigued there for a bit but I still bought live tickets immediately

While we're here I really must recommend You Must Remember This (rightfully becoming a huge deal) and Criminal (standalone stories about law and crime, just ASTOUNDINGLY great journalism)

25. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Season one SUCKED, I loved season two though

26. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I've never been as attracted to someone just by the sound of their voice as I was to James from The Weekly Planet (slightly geeky, very funny Aussie comic book movie review thing).

Then he revealed his face and he's nice and all but it just hasn't been the same since. :vomit:

jivafox likes this.
  27. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Oh GOOD, I will check that out. I thought S1 was very well put together (especially loved the way the narrator speaks which is so important) but I realised pretty quickly where it was going ie PRECISELY NOWHERE

28. jivafox

Yes S2 of SKS is great. Actually a bit upsetting in parts.

I'm annoyed the narrator of Casefile is anonymous. In my head he's HOT and i NEED TO KNOW.

29. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Exactly my problem with it, it's really obvious what happened in the case. Also they kept using this one sound clip of ice breaking that really pissed me off

30. VoR

Oh I love You Must Remember This. The Dead Blondes series was so interesting.

31. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Another admirer of You Must Remember This here too. I have to take extended breaks from it as her delivery starts to grate after a while, but on the whole, it's really very good and so well researched.

The McCarthy trials series in particular was really good but I swerved the Manson ones. I've really heard enough about that case to last me a lifetime.

32. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I was introduced to yet another Drag Race podcast last month called Alright Mary. Basically two guys dissecting each show in microscopic detail. In parts funny, interesting and infuriating, it occasionally veers off into a level of cod-psychology that would have Ru reaching for his energy crystals, but still fun if you can't get enough Drag Race. I won't be sticking with it, but it's fun if that's what you're in the market for.

As an aside, it does suffer from what I find with lots of amateur podcasts in that there is a lot of waffle/laughing at their own jokes that could do with some judicious editing. It's like that craze in the 00s where artists felt obliged to fill every 74 minutes of a CD's length with music when a pared down 10 track album would have been infinitely better.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  33. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

Someone messaged me and said I sound like Michelle Visage

34. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Chrissy, I have enjoyed Alright Mary but I agree with your criticism and the thing in their intro about "the paradigm Rupaul has created" is the most gag-worthy thing I've heard all season long.

I've also given up because I've become irritated with the way one of them speaks. But would broadly recommend all the same; it's the most thoughtful/interesting of the Drag Race podcasts I've heard thus far.

35. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Oh and I've also been enjoying The Mariah Report. It's a little rough around the edges but fun and they're not afraid to call her out on her ridiculousness when necessary as every true lamb should.

36. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Agreed! That "paradigm" line is so, so terrible... One of them (I think the one that is based in New York) is infinitely more irritating than the other. I'd recommend it too. I won't be subscribing but I can see myself dipping in and out from time to time.

That earlier complaint about the sound levels being all over the place on "What's The Tee" I entirely agree with. It seemed like Kelly Osbourne was whispering half of her contributions, but that wasn't a bad thing given that she repeated her stories more often than Ru ("I love drag queens"/"I'm a drag queen"/"Drag U taught me how to stand on the red carpet"/"I loved Joan Rivers" etc. etc. etc. AD INFINITUM).

The most recent (and very excellent) on with Natasha Lyonne was even worse. Had Visage swallowed the mike? Her BELLOWS were DEAFENING.

37. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

The Manson series on You Must Remember This was so utterly fascinating.

Also loved the Madge one!

I don't know exactly when podcasts changed me life. I never listen to music to and from work nowadays.

jivafox likes this.
  38. jivafox

I can't fall asleep unless I'm listening to one!

Suomi likes this.
  39. lolly

Yes, I always listen to them before bed as well.

40. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

My vaginal lids would be POPPING if I listened to Belinda before bed.

jivafox likes this.