Podcasts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Phoenix, May 30, 2015.

1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Anyone listen to Broad Appeal? It's my current favourite. Two gays talking about famous actresses. Very Moopy humour in places. Their Good/Bad/Crazy season is great.

2. VoR

Kevin, lolly, Suomi and 3 others like this.
  3. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Ive been listening to the WTF podcast by US comedian and actor Marc Maron (from GLOW) lately.

It’s quite famous and he gives really in depth interviews with celebrities. The conversations really are excellent listening and they talk about things you’ve never heard them asked before. Heather Graham and Sharon Stone were so interesting.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

They are good interviews but whenever I used to listen I had to skip the solo bit at the start cause that was unbearable.

5. Ellie

Yes I definitely do that too. He rambles a lot about nothing and reels off all the promotions, so I usually start from about 10 minutes in.

6. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Is anyone listening to Sibling Rivalry with Bob the Drag queen and Monet X Change? I like them both, but the podcast (up to Ep3) is a bit hmmm.
    I’ve no doubt that they are good friends, but they don’t really have podcast chemistry. Usually one of them has some broad, sweeping and extreme opinion about something, and then they just take turns to shut each other’s opinions down.

And their phone call to Vanjie is basically unlistenable in sound quality, she sounds like she’s on Neptune, Monet is relaying the signal from Mars, and Bob is deepthroating the mic, totally impossible to listen to on headphones!

7. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I want to have a Maths Club meeting about the latest More or Less podcast, about whether there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. Shameful!

@Madison to advise

8. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

How have I not heard of this podcast before?!

9. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

It’s usually pretty good, just not the most recent one

10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Does anyone else listen to 99% Invisible? I thought it was about design, but these days it just seems to be about any old topic. Did I misunderstand?

11. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'm subscribed to it so see it in my feed, but imagine I probably only listen to about 10% of the shows now.

12. lolly

Has anyone else tried the BBC 'Unpopped' podcast? It's a Pop Culture podcast that has been going since early this year, and each week they look at various things that have hit big in that respect, some current, some historic. Topics covered so far include Drag Race, Spice Girls (specifically an interview they did with US feminist Kathy Acker) , Chris Morris, One Direction (particularly with regard to conspiracy theories), the Now That's What I Call Music series, and this week Eurotrash.

13. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ooh that sounds good

Case in point about 99% Invisible, I’m listening through the archive and I got one about baseball strategies. You could use the word design if you were determined but COME ON

14. lolly

It's a shame really, as Roman Mars has an amazing voice.

15. Ellie

16. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

He does, I like him a lot.
    It’s a great podcast, mission creep notwithstanding

17. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

I would really recommend a very Moopy podcast called Unflopped - the premise is that each of the two presenters chose a flop single to discuss, and then a music expert decides which is his favourite. This week was Nicola Roberts vs Siobhan Donaghy.

DogsDinner and monsta like this.
  18. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I love Unflopped!

Was screaming at their humourless telling off from Roisin Murphy on Twitter on the latest!

Suomi likes this.
  19. VoR

Did anyone check out 'We Need To Talk About Britney'?

Promising concept but I found the host way too self-absorbed and not particularly eloquent. My old fave Mandy Moore was a great get as a first guest, and the few times she was asked a question with more substance than "so, like, OMG, was touring with *N'sync just amazing?!" she had some really interesting insights into the industry at the time, but the host never really seemed interested in pursuing it.

Shame because I'm so here for a better version of that show.

20. lolly

The Allusionist is recording live shows in London, Glasgow, Bristol and Dublin in September, now that Helen Zaltzman is out of her coma.

I bet I won't be able to find anyone to go with me, but think it will be the sort of thing I won't feel TOO out of place on my own.

21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ooh do it!

She was in a coma?! I know she was sick a few podcasts ago but :o

22. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Is anyone having a few issues with the iTunes podcast app unsubscribing them randomly?

A few podcasts I regularly listened to (including What’s the Tee) were unsubscribed.

I still hate the latest version of the app too, there’s no distinction between your subscribed podcasts and other ones you listened to once

23. lolly

I use acast on android, but for some reason What's The Tee unsubscribed me a while back. I was in post season 10 overload, or else I may have realised.

I've only picked up with the one covering the Cher Abba album since, which was worth it to hear Ru talk about first hearing Abba in 1973 when heard SOS, staying in 'one of the Bennys' hotels' in Stockholm, and how Benny Rice wrote Chess.

monsta likes this.
  24. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

It’s your inner saboteur unsubscribing to the podcast.

dUb likes this.
  25. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I had that a while ago; in the end I just gave up on the app and switched to Overcast.

26. VoR

Some podcasters I know called 'Think Outside The Box Set' have recently kicked off a season on ABBA if anyone's interested.

So far they've covered Ring Ring and Waterloo, and they'll be dedicating an episode to each of the albums over the coming weeks. Trigger warning - they're straights. But they actually enjoyed both albums, and its quite interesting hearing a non-fan perspective on the music (they literally approach with a vague knowledge of a few big hits and nothing more). The Nina Pretty Ballerina discussion in episode one definitely had me chuckling.

27. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

This had oscar buzz is a good one about movies that had hopes of being oscar bait.

28. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I started Doctor Death and keep having to stop because the surgery details make me want to pass out. :D It’s wild though, I’m only two episodes in and it’s incredibly :o

29. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I wish Freakonomics would give it up and just become a sports podcast, because that’s clearly what they want to do.

30. lolly

I've recently started listening to Help I Sexted My Boss. It's like a cross between Answer Me This and an agony aunt podcast, with a focus on etiquette in the loosest sense.

http://www.sextedmyboss.com

31. Crash

Crash Thank You

I do love this, mainly as I find Jordan North INCREDIBLY attractive...and his laugh is so infectious. Plus, his and William's friendship is actually really lovely.

32. lolly

I had a google image search a week or two ago. I don't think I've ever seen someone whose attractiveness varies so much, largely depending on his hair.

33. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Has anyone listened to the teachers pet?

There was an article about it on the BBC today which alerted me to it

I’m on episode 3 and it’s really gripping me in a way that only serial managed to do

34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Mmm how many podcasts can I start listening to, enjoy and try to listen to all of them from the beginning, only to be cut short after about a month when it goes behind a paywall and they hide most of them?

It’s definitely happened more times than it hasn’t, put it that way.

35. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Actually I wonder how many Moopers use a premium podcast thing or support podcasts via patreon or similar?

I’d imagine it’s a hard switch to go from something that has traditionally been freely available to suddenly be charged for.

A bit like mp3 piracy, except where the mp3s were offered by the makers for free

36. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Are you sure it’s paywall? Sometimes they just don’t keep them available on iTunes cause that costs them money but they are available at the podcast’s website.

37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh really? To be fair I haven’t checked the latest one, but normally they start mentioning Stitcher or various payment options every episode after that.

It’s weird that a handful of older episodes are still there, literally 1-2 per year. Oh well

It’s even deleted the ones off my phone that I had lined up so I don’t eat my data outside

38. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Stitcher do have a premium service so maybe???

39. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I support one podcast on patreon. I used to do more but I’m unemployed.

40. lolly

I use the acast app. I subscribe to about a dozen different podcasts and have never had one go behind a paywall.

I don't do the patreon thing, but I have given one off donations a couple of times, bought merchandise and premium episodes.