Podcasts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Phoenix, May 30, 2015.

1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I’ve been catching up on some Beyond The Box Set episodes this week. @VoR your friends on the Burlesque episode were brilliant. Loved how progressively drunk Louise got throughout.

VoR likes this.
  2. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Oh God that one was a nightmare to edit. :D She kept getting up mid-conversation to loudly raid my fridge for more drinks.

Suomi likes this.
  3. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh I like The Immaculate Podcast that dear sister @Christian hooked me up with

If Louis Vertel were Captain Planet, these two are like his best two Planeteers

Christian likes this.
  4. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I'm terms of deep nerd takes I'm absolutely loving This Podcast Will Kill You, and have greatly enjoyed the three episodes of Ologies I've listed to wherein experts in obscure areas are interviewed at length.

5. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've had a big podcast cull recently, as I had dozens of unlistned to episodes that seemed interesting enough, but not enough to ever actually put on.

6. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

@Christian @Suedey i don’t know how else to tag, but I was listening to the True Blue episode of The Immaculate Podcast, and was gagged to hear an offhand comment about the Dotmusic forums, and in particular a poster called Pudwhacker ... I feel like I’ve seen that name before. Small world though, innit?

Suedey likes this.
  7. Suedey

Suedey [Women yelling in background]

Yes, he migrated to MadonnaNation where he was a member for years and then got banned over some questionnable comments circa Donald Trump's presidential campaign. He runs the very successful madonnascrapbook instagram account.

Diddy likes this.
  8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

OMG I finally got to the Music episode of the Immaculate Podcast, and just as they talk about WIFLFAG, it started playing in the restaurant I was sitting in. STUNNED

I never hear it anywhere, but I guess this Burger King is a likely place, they always play random stuff from the early 00s, I had a Geru song “the strength of a woman” that I’d never heard of playing a few minutes earlier

9. David 5000

David 5000 I'll dance alone

I remember being very confused hearing that in a Costa at some point.

10. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

And this week Nadine's Insatiable vs MKS's Flatline.

Suomi likes this.
  11. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Looks like the Immaculate Podcast is done, I’m sort of ready for that now, the main gay is a compulsive interrupter, that’s quite annoying in the end.

I’ve started Buffering The Vampire Slayer, an all-lesbian Buffy recap show. It’s pretty good so far.

12. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think I've raved about You Must Remember This before, but they're doing a six-part season on the making of notorious racist Disney movie Song of the South right now, which I'm finding really fascinating.

13. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

Does anyone listen to Las Culturistas?

I went through a period of obsessing, then went off because Matt Rogers can be quite annoying, but I've started to find myself listening to it again.

I Don't Think So Honey is inspired.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Get Well Soon

I like them separately and as a flavor but I can’t listen to a full episode of screeching.

Barnacle likes this.
  15. Barnacle

I do have to say that listening almost exclusively to LC, four drag race podcasts and Why Won't You Date Me has made me almost borderline podcasts presented by straight men.

Not including Behind the Bastards.

16. Suomi

Suomi User

I really like RED HANDED, which is a true crime podcast by two charming British women. I am a Patreon even! Listen out for my name at the end of one of the episodes

17. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Any 90s gamer nerds here? Does @COB listen to podcasts?

I was tipped off to a GamesMaster recap show called Under Consoletation. Not perfect, I don’t know how they can talk for an hour about a 20 minute episode, but there’s good extra content, even the unedited adbreak from the 90s

18. dUb

dUb WENT TO WAR FOR U

Has lockdown affected our podcast listening? It definitely has mine, so I only have room for a few. On current rotation are:

- Legends Only (chat about pop culture stuff and divas etc.)
    - Two Gay Matts (as above :D)
    - The Mariah Report (:disco:)

Waiting to be resumed at some point:

- Kermode & Mayo's Film Review
    - Alright Mary
    - Casefile
    - The Adam Buxton Podcast
    - The Weekly Planet
    - My Favorite Murder
    - Petty Little Things

as well as the clutch of Eurovision-based ones: Aussievision, The Euro-What and ESCInsight

19. Barnacle

Drag Race podcasts:
    Race Chaser (I think this is the only actual podcast now, and I don't bother with Hot Goss, but sometimes in bed I flip over my phone and listen to IMHO and Movie Bitches on YouTube.)

Also:
    Why Won't You Date Me with Nicole Byer (though not as frequently as I did in Italy because it got a little repetitive)
    Behind the Bastards
    Desert Island Discs
    Real Life Ghost Stories
    House of Legends Podcast

dUb likes this.
  20. dUb

dUb WENT TO WAR FOR U

IMHO :disco::disco::disco:

21. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

The Bugle is currently the greatest thing (never mind "podcast") in the world and I'm gutted I didn't discover it sooner.

22. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Let me wash your back for you.

Ooh, I haven't listened to this since John Oliver made a success of himself in the States. I couldn't deal with Andy Zaltzman on his own. Is it better again?

23. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

Oh, I love Andy Zaltzman so I'm pretty much in clover! The guests have certainly been high calibre since I;ve been listening, sometimes surprisingly so - I did not expect to be laughing at Al Murray any time before the apocalypse. Nish Kumar is always a delight, as is Nato Green and Alice Fraser too, although I'm less convinced by her offshoot podcast, "The Last Post".

24. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Quite a lot now I write them all down :D no wonder I don’t listen to that much music

Throwing Shade - seriously wonderful gay & women’s issues and totally hilarious

Race chaser (and grudgingly Hot Goss now)

Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men - Queer slanted X-men comic recap show

99% Invisible - gorgeously produced design show

Radio 4’s More or Less - stats fact checking done in the most BBC way

The Allusionist - etymology & language from the wonderfully droll Helen Zaltzmann or however you spell her name

The Sewers of Paris - coming out stories with Matt Baume (definitely check his YouTube series Culture Cruise)

Under Consoletation - GamesMaster recap show, a bit overlong but well researched

Ghibliotheque - studio Ghibli movie review show with such a relaxing energy

Buffering the Vampire Slayer - all lesbian Buffy recap show with original songs for each episode

Imaginary Worlds - Sci Fi podcast for non-experts

This is Love - Stories about different kinds of love with honey-voiced Phoebe Judge

Japan Top 10 - Japanese music podcast with top 10s and artist/genre spotlight episodes

This day in esoteric political history - from the 99% Invisible stable, bite-sized chunks of significant historical commentary

25. Debbie Jellinsky

Debbie Jellinsky User

I tried the Immaculate Pocast, but the guy who was always singing got on my nerves.

I listen to a lot of horror film podcasts from a queer/feminist point of view these days. My favourites are Gaylords of Darkness, Attack of the Queerwolf and Horror Queers. They're quite insightful and often hilarious. Girls Guts and Giallos and The Faculty of Horror are also very good

26. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I don't always find the content of 99% Invisible massively interesting, but Roman Mars has the perfect voice. I could listen to him talk about anything, pretty much.

Diddy likes this.
  27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

they’ve all got listenable voices, so it gets me into the topics. I quite like the variety, and it’s well researched so i feel like I’m not wasting time

28. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Actually compare that to Freakonomics, also fairly well researched, but even fairly interesting topics are delivered in a bit of a sneery tone. Plus they’re always doing repeats or pushing that shitty gameshow. I got rid

29. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Current favourites:

- Today In Focus from the Guardian - if it's a topic I'm interested in, it's a very good
    - Beyond The Groove - is this some queen from Popjustice? Anyway, it's quite excellent and his voice is like BUTTAH
    - In Vogue - The 1990s - Dame Ahnna brings it to you every time. You can hear the coke being chopped up in every line.
    - The official Prince podcast - flogging whatever reissue they've got going but the interviewees are top notch
    - You're Dead To Me - Greg Jenner gets an historian and a comedian on to talk about a topic from history, and, if the comedian is good, it's top notch stuff
    - Little Gold Me - endless awards show droning on from Vanity Fair that I find weirdly compelling
    - Americast - When "Sopes" and "Maitless" drop the naff laddy banter, this is fabulous stuff. Plus it doesn't feature Kuensberg or the dreaded Chris Mason.
    - Time Rice Podcast - He's a Brexit loving loon but each week's insider talk on one of his show's is very witty and he's not afraid to dish the dirt in a shady English kind of a way
    - Great Lives - I love Matthew Parris
    - Fall Of Civilizations - English chap delivers very long (4 hour plus) dissections of a fallen civilisation and it's quite compelling stuff. My long drive go to.

I'm over all the Drag Race ones, though I do drop into Race Chaser for a whizz through Hot Goss now and then. I miss the Ru and Michelle one and have no idea what the universe is trying to tell me now.

Diddy, Logic? and dUb like this.
  30. Logic?

Logic? User

Love Today In Focus and You're Dead To Me too! Will check out the rest.

I discovered Evil Genius recently. Talking about famous dead people and discussing whether they were good or bad people basically. Thatcher, Disney, Mother Theresa, Winehouse, Dahl, and Joan Rivers all good episodes.

31. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I’ve been drowning in podcasts lately; it’s a bit stressful because I feel that I need to listen to all episodes.

I’m following Swedish political and political satire podcasts and Race Chasers.

Are there any ”funny” political English/American podcasts, that anyone could recommend?

Diddy likes this.
  32. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

I’m listening to Right Back At Ya which is basically two guys talking about a different pop artist every week

I’m sure someone on here will have listened to it?

dUb likes this.
  33. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

The only podcasts I listen to are The Mariah Report and Behind The Groove(Madge).

34. dUb

dUb WENT TO WAR FOR U

HIYA

Love that one, and The Mariah Report too.

SDF likes this.
  35. dUb

dUb WENT TO WAR FOR U

What can I say, sometimes you’re just in the mood for an S Club 8 DEEP DIVE

36. dUb

dUb WENT TO WAR FOR U

That felt wrong

Diddy likes this.
  37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I absolutely know what you mean about drowning in podcasts, especially when they fling bonus episodes that are 90 minutes long.

anyway I’ll never stop recommending “Throwing Shade” for a funny politically minded podcast. It’s not all politics, that’s just one part, but more fundamental than in “Hot Goss” at least.

just search for it soon, they’re changing their name soon and I don’t know what the new one is

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  38. Phoenix

Phoenix Get Well Soon

The EW drag race podcast really set things back for me. I have like 10 episodes of that to listen to.

I skip Throwing Shade more than I listen to it these days. I have been listening to them for like 10 years now and they need a refresh.

Latest addition is Cerebro which discusses an X-men character every week.

39. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh PhoePhoe way ahead of me then :D
    Presumably I don’t have to mention Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, I probably heard about it from you! That might have been when I started listening to podcasts properly, so you’re my Podcast drag mother

Phoenix likes this.
  40. Phoenix

Phoenix Get Well Soon

I haven’t listened to Jay and Miles in over a year (or two) it just fragmented too, which is not their fault but I just don’t care for all the secondary books that popped up in the late 80s-90s