Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Slave, May 4, 2007.

1. Slave

Slave User

Ok ok, so we should all get over it and move on but everyone knows the proper "colour" versions of the game are still incredibly addictive (and available from CD-Wow for £20.49 free delivery).

I got Pearl this morning and thus far I can't really comment on the game itself other than as the first DS outing I'm a bit disappointed. The action predominantly takes place on the upper screen with the lower screen being utilised during battles and considering the capabilities of the system it's still barely a step up from the previous games graphics wise.

I guess it's still some way off but fully rendered Pokemon battles are what I'm wanting and the DS must be capable as such - I'd rather have the skeleton 150 Pokemon with fully rendered battles than 450+ (or whatever they're up to now) with the same old shifty battle graphics.

But complaints aside it's never been about the graphics and once I give it some more time I hope that I'll get over these minor disappointments.

2. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I've got pearl. Need to play it this weekend. I'd also like to see fully rendered battles. Golden Sun on the GBA managed amazing looking ones and that was ages a go.

3. Slave

Slave User

Once I've finished Uni I shall be digging out Pokemon Colosseum for the GC, that was a step in the right direction though I suppose no amount of rendering the battles changes the fact that by Level 100 you've seen and done it all a million times before.

4. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I really expected to, and WISHED they'd make a beautiful Zelda-esque Pokemon game for the N64. Imagine wandering around a big ole virtual world collecting Pokemon... :(

I suppose it would be too big a job for what could have been a dead fad by the time it was completed though.

5. Slave

Slave User

I think most people are holding out for that, I wonder if we'll get it for the Wii. I suspect not, it would be such an immense challenge to create something as expansive as Zelda, etc. but incorporate the tedious levelling up/catching aspects and find a balance.

6. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I read that they've always wanted to keep Pokemon in RPG form on a portable console.

7. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Some of the new generation of Pokemon look a bit shitty, especially that snow tree one and that BELL.

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I really think Pokemon would be EASY to translate to a 'proper' 3D. I mean look at something like Final Fantasy, there's easily enough room to have however many different characters.

they must run out of things to make pokemon from now? I think all the animals/plants/inanimate objects in the locale of Pokemon HQ must be exhausted now?

"ooh how about .. Coffeemachino?"

but anyway YAAAAY i just got Diamond and Pearl from the US, I'll have whichever one my nephew doesnt want

9. Slave

Slave User

One of my favourites was the monkey that had one hand on the end of its tail but no hands at the end of its arms. It actually made me laugh.

10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

:D .. oh that was a bitch, i think i had to get that from Colloseum *yawn*

well I started Pearl this afternoon .. its hardly reinventing the wheel is it? I DO like my monkey pokemon though, so cuuute!

they have changed barely ANYTHING though, even the fucking GAMEBOY noises are the same

11. Slave

Slave User

That's what I mean, whilst I guess I agree with keeping it the same in format there is no excuse for the lacklustre changes introduced when the DS should be capable of so much more than Ruby/Sapphire were to Red/Blue.

12. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

What were you expecting? Did you not see any screenshots?

13. Slave

Slave User

No. I've not really looked into it much at all. I just got an e-mail from CD-Wow saying they had it in stock and it was a no-brainer.

To be honest I rarely DO look at screenshots. I bought 'God Of War II' last week (still yet to play) simply from the way it was advertised. I have no idea what it's about or how it will play.

But that's the joy in games, sometimes you just run with your instinct.

14. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Pokemon Snap was as good as it got

Although I did rather like that :shy:

15. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

oh i knew it probably WOULD be like it is, but its just a little uninspiring considering they've had like 2 years and a new CONSOLE to put it together

16. Slave

Slave User

Pokemon Snap is a guilty pleasure! Of course it's really even more linear than any other Pokemon branded game despite the appearance but getting to the final stage with Mew and seeing the Pokemon in a natural habitat...it was a good stab at bringing it to life properly.

17. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I'm rather disappointed at how RIDICULOUSLY unchanged this game is from Leafgreen ... my efforts are a bit laclustre so far. Maybe a shiny strategy guide will help. Just got my first gym badge (yay .. *yawn*)

18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Well despite all this, I AM sort of getting into it. I just having my favourites of the new ones. I picked the monkey .. stupid thing evolved and the noise it makes now isn't NEARLY as nice.

19. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

The double battles are a pain. As if turn based battles weren't boring enough already.

20. Slave

Slave User

I'm finding the new Pokemon quite underwhelming so far. That Bidoof thing actually makes me angry just looking at it on the screen.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Well I'm sort of warming to the old Pokemon charm (good really because theres no new charm)

I did a wi-fi battle (we were in teh same room but STILL) .. standard until we realised the microphone works and you can shout abuse at your opponent :D

22. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I'm enjoying it. But the magic has kind of worn off since it really isn't any different from past games except for some new pokemon, the wi-fi and some touch-screen options which I never use.

23. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

My 'team':
    Luxio lv.28
    Staravia lv.27
    Kricketune lv.34
    Monferno lv.24
    Grotle lv.27
    Prinplup lv. 27

I'm quite liking the fact I can have all three starters in my team. I want a Bulbasaur though :(

Oh and right now i'm just at the 4th gym. Friend codes anyone?

24. Slave

Slave User

I want that thing that looks like a walking spring onion near the start. Time to get trading soon I think. Pikachu is simply a must in any game.

25. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

what?? so you can get all the starters? Are they just running around?

I haven't really got much of a team together yet. I have NO TACTICS. I'm TRYING to train up everything loosely so that I can get the pokedex filling up with evolutions. Obviously that's a waste of time if I can just catch the other evolutions later, but STILL.

Friend Code: Dave 4124 1601 8347

I'm not fighting Lee yet, i'm too WEAK. It's rather annoying that you can't really fight anyone reasonably unless you've been training for the same length of time :p
    My Team:

Lv18 Monferno called Porchy
    Lv16 Staravia
    Lv15 Luxio
    Lv8 Bidoof
    Lv5 Kricketot
    Lv4 Budew

26. Slave

Slave User

Does Bidoof make you insanely angry too? I always shoot myself in the foot because I never evolve my starter Pokemon. They go all monstery and ugly and look increasingly like Transformers these days.

27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

i miss my monkey's noise .. the evolved noise isn't NEARLY as nice.

I heard you can't transfer the Pokemon from other games until you have filled your "new pokemon" pokedex :manson: ... that can't be true can it?

28. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

^I think it is.
    As for the starter pokemon. I put 2 Ponyta's up for swap on the online trading thing wanting a Piplup and a Chimchar back and got them within a few hours. They had Japanese names (which went back to English after they evolved), but I got them!
    I find it REALLY annoying that you can only ask for Pokemon that you've already seen. I want a Bulbasaur, a Charmander and a Squirtle :(

29. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

ONLINE TRADING THING?

30. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Aw :)
    In some city (can't remember its name, not too far from the start. Maybe the 3rd city you find?) you can offer any of your pokemon to trade online or search for a pokemon you want and they state what they want back.
    Its pretty good. Although when I search all I seem to get is people wanting the starter pokemon in return.

31. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

people are MADDENINGLY always ahead of me. HOW DID EVERYONE GET THE FUCKING GAME SO FAST? I bought it like a few days after it was out in the US, Europe's not getting it for MONTHS!

32. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

OMG I want this game so BADLY. :o

Where did you get the US import from? How much is it?

33. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I've had mine coming up 2 weeks now. Been playing for 20 hours *obsessed*

34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I ... um.. got it from the US! PERSONALLY :america:

35. Bunty's Magic Vegetable

Bunty's Magic Vegetable User

I'm considering buying a Nintendo DS for the sole purpose of playing the new Pokemon game...

I'm 23 years old and I haven't played a newly released computer game for about 5 years...

Yes, it's a BAD THING.

36. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

www.importmadness.ca

37. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

38. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Oh I meant that one :)

39. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

40. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

you know .. I'm still SAYING i'm disappointed, but I've clocked up 8 hours already :D I think I'm on autopilot.

MOST REPLEASED to have an EXP share so early, I have a bunch of level 3/4/5 pokemon that I haven't been able to train because they get destroyed by wild pokemon