Project Catwalk & Project Runway

Discussion in 'Reality Bites' started by Mr Betty Draper, Feb 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. tcamen

tcamen User

Just watched the 3 eps so far -- all the dresses I like the best keep being the runner up and I was a little disappointed with the 2nd elimination but overall it's really strong so far.

Did anyone check out the Australian version last year? I enjoyed it a lot!

2. David

David Misanthropic Old Bastard

I'm glad the person who went in Ep4 went, they were beginning to piss me off.

It's been a little drama-light so far, apart from anything involving Ping (I miss you), I hope that resolves itself.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oh yeah Jesus was pretty horrible, the lack of originality was obvious.

I'm really liking Milla so far, she reminds me of Laura from season 3 without the 500 babies and more out there.

4. David

I've been thinking the same about Milla actually, right down to similar 'big' features.

5. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I'm still pissed about Ping. I think she was BRILLIANT, obviously had a lot to learn in the finer details - but her aesthetic was comparable to the likes of Junya Watanabe, Commes des Garcon, Issy Miyake. I think it was ridiculous that the designers couldn't get board with her last piece when I thought it was stunning - quite like a sari.

I mean why include the avant-garde designers if they don't have a fair chance of going very far?

6. David

To be fair, they do, but the point is that you have to mould your own aesthetic to the challenge, Christian Siriano was probably one of the best examples of how to do this, but even he made the odd misfire.

7. funky

funky INCAPABLE

sorry guys but I got over Ping very quickly

she was the very definition of USELESS in episode 3

I also agree that being avant garde is not an excuse to say you are at a disadvantage. They purposely pick designers with a wide variety of asthetics including AG, and the idea is to combine the task objective with your own vision - they say every bloody week that the strongest designs are the ones who meet this criteria

it baffles and frustrates me when they flounce off week after week in their own world of cloud cuckoo. Do they even LISTEN when they're being told the rules? :|

8. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

:evil: I'm not happy that Ben didn't win the cover challenge, it was miles ahead any of the other dresses.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I don't understand how Emilio was not in the bottom this week, the dress was a horrible walking cliche.

10. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I'm just downloading this series on torrents. I can't seem to get episode 1 for some reason though. :evil: Was it a proper episode with a challenge? There's loads of torrents for every other episode...

11. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Yeah there should be a torrent for it, try www.eztv.it they should have it.

12. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Thanks, but it's not on there either.

Hrrrmph.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  14. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Thanks Phoenix

15. David

I only got it today, very happy they got rid of the person they did, as opposed to the other person in the bottom two.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oh this week was frustrating I really don't understand how Emilio keeps winning, his designs are so simple and he doesn't put any effort into his work. I really thought that Seth and Maya were far more superior, I mean miles ahead.

On the other hand the technology they are using makes me want to cry, it's so beautiful and creative.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

So what do we think of the winner??

I'm just happy it wasn't Emilio even though he had some really great stuff in his collection, but him as a person is very unlikeable. Seth Aaron and Milla were both great, I think this was prbably one of the strongest shows they ever had.

18. The Politics Of Dancing

The Politics Of Dancing PACIFICA

Nobody's catching up with Season Eight? :o

I was very surprised to see Gretchen already win two challenges in the first two episodes. :o:o Even though I thought Mondo & Valerie's looks were better, but whatever.

I was sad to see Nicholas go because I geniunely thought he had alot of potential developing over the season, but his second look just wasn't executed that well. Glad to see Jason go too in the double elimination though. :D

The Puerto Rican Casanova's going to be a tricky one, eh? I think he's going to use that "can't speak English" trick to the best of his advantage throughout the season.

And to mention one name, Mondo is definitely this season's Ping. I wonder how far Casanova can go. :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  19. David

Give me a chance, E2 only aired in the US last night :o

Obviously I'm watching albeit at a slower pace.

20. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I didn't even know it was back

I fucking hate the way SKY show this, it's on all the time but always repeats of old seasons in random order. ANd they never promote when the new season is on. Where are they up to in the cycle? Is it worth waiting for S8 to come to TV? :bad:

21. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oh I hate that I'm missing this but since I'm in the land of slow internet I have no choice :(.

22. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I'm finally catching up with the new season, it takes a day to download an episode but it's so worth it.

I love how much time they are spending on the dresses themselves and the discussion between the judges given almost half an hour. I still don't have any favorites but they seem promising.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  23. David

Is anyone else still persevering with this? I found this week's episode quite moving. I'm sure it was manufactured to a point, but not totally.

24. The Politics Of Dancing

Go Mondo FTW. Beautiful print, totally outshone everyone else including Gretchen's mess of a feathery frock that she called a garment.

There is also speculation that some cheating has occured throughout the show and that someone will leave early. :o This is already better than the past two seasons combined. :D

25. David

I kind of love Gretchen, in a manic passive-aggressive way. But the concept of most women wearing stuff she makes is beyond me.

26. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Awww I love Mondo and even though i'm sick of yellow, pink and black I have to admit he is probably the most original of all the designers. The other one i like is Andy because you know that if he goes to the end the collection will be intresting.

I think Mondo and Gretchen are probably a shoe in for the final three and the place left is a toss up between April (the black collection), Michael C (the cocktail dress collection) and Andy.

27. The Politics Of Dancing

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but I will say this:

WORST WINNER OF ALL TIME

Even Irina who I didn't like was clearly way more talented than this bitch.

28. David

I think that does constitute a spoiler :evil:

29. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Well I thought the winner made sense, I love Mondo but the head bands were awful and he suffered because he had won so many times and it all looked like we've seen it before. I wasn't crazy about Gretchen's collection but it's a bit different from the usual winners which is something they pointed out (Mondo's had the same spirit as Seth from last season and that awful man from season 3) so yeah variation in the winners is a must as well.

30. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I've just finished Season 8. The winner wasn't my favourite, but I do think it was probably the right winner because her collection really was different to most of the winning collections you see. I definitely think more women would want to wear Gretchen's clothes than Mondo's too.

It was a great Season all in. THAT episode was truly moving.

Not really loving Heidi in Mondo's dress though. :zombie:

[​IMG]

31. David

For a second I thought there was a new season I didn't know about.

RobotBoy I hate you for teasing me

32. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

There's a new series on the way AND an all stars series! :disco:

33. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Season 9 premiers July 28th and they are sticking with the 90 minutes format.

34. David

Only five weeks, OMG YAY... seems like they'll do what they did in S2 and eliminate four designers before the proper challenges start.

35. The Politics Of Dancing

And with more twists and tricks, courtesy of the ever crazy Heidi Klum.

And just thinking of the last one off All Stars challenge annoys me... poor Korto. :( Being second place twice would annoy anyone!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  36. David

It was a no win, given that Daniel Vosovic also came in second.

37. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

[​IMG]

[From L to R: Danielle Everine, Rafael Cox, David Chum, Serena da Conceicao, Gunnar Deatherage, Anya Ayoung-Chee, Bryce Black, Fallene Wells, Julie Tierney, Laura Kathleen, Olivier Green, Becky Ross, Cecilia Motwani, Kimberly Goldson (Bottom Row) Bert Keeter, Amanda Perna, Joshua Christensen, Joshua Mckinley, Viktor Luna, Anthony Ryan Auld]

Bert Keeter, 57, Los Angeles
    Pros: He’s a graduate of New York’s Parsons design school
    Cons: Did you see his age? Sad to say, but his grueling competition seems to run on young and hungry.
    Fun Fact: His nephews call him Uncle Tightass. Because he can be difficult. At least we’re hoping that’s the reason they call him Uncle Tightass. I mean, this is a family show.
    Verdict: Top six. We love that he’s from Parsons, but his self-admitted rigidity (which, when it also defines design, gives us stuck-in-a-rut work a la Peach Carr). But we're hoping with age comes insight and, maybe, experience.

Danielle Everine, 26, Minneapolis
    Pros: She’s an intimates designer for Target
    Cons: Have you seen the underwear department at Target?
    Fun Fact: She hates it when people wear sweatpants out of the house. We agree, but on behalf of beleaguered new moms and tired people everywhere we hate her already.
    Verdict: Final four. Usually the more we hate a contestant, the longer they last.

Rafael Cox, 27, Atlanta
    Pros: His celebrity style icons are Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
    Cons: Yes, we know they’re fashion designers now, but they still tend to dress like homeless people.
    Verdict: Middle of the pack. While the Olsen twins are perfectly valid choices for fashion muses (Vogue and Louis Vuitton certainly love them), they’ve made too many frumpy choices for public appearances to really qualify as icons.

David Chum, 29, Boston
    Pros: He runs his own fashion line, Selahdor
    Cons: If he’s not designing, he’s at the beach tanning or swimming. We’re having flashbacks to tanning addict Blane. This is not a good thing.
    Verdict: Top two. The fact he has his own fashion line bodes well for him, and of course we had to look. While he seems to live in mortal fear of prints, his dresses feature strong lines, subtle detailing and are very wearable. We hope what he brings to “PR” has a little more punch, but he has a strong base to work from.

Serena Da Conceicao, 31, New York City
    Pros: She’d love to dress Marion Cotillard for the Cannes Film Festival.
    Cons: Her big plan for the red carpet? A draped dress. Maybe she’s not spilling secrets, but boring much?
    Verdict: Middle of the pack. I appreciate the Marion Cotillard reference (we’re thinking she might know foreign film, which can be a great resource for a designer) but that blah draped dress suggestion has me worried.

Amanda Perna, 24, New York City
    Pros: Ummmm…
    Cons: Her style icon is Carrie Bradshaw (sigh). Her greatest fear is having to make a tailored shirt on the show. We’re guessing there’s an early exit in her future.
    Verdict: Third auf'ed. Maybe she just hates tailored dress shirts – or maybe she’s lousy at putting them together (it is an art). The fact that she still thinks of Carrie Bradshaw (and not Sarah Jessica Parker) as an icon screams designer slave.

Gunnar Deatherage, 21, Louisville, Ky.
    Pros: He’d kill to dress Nicole Kidman. It’s not a big pro, but we’re reaching here.
    Cons: He’s a hair stylist for Aveda and, as a designer, he’s entirely self taught. Though some self-taught designers have done well (Christopher Staub comes to mind), most tend to get tripped up by the intricacies of evening gown construction.
    Verdict: Second auf’ed. He might be too young to have created a truly unique identity as a designer, and it seems that very young contestants tend to find one design element that work, then beat it do death.

Joshua Christensen, 29, Los Angeles
    Pros: He says he has years of pent up creativity waiting to be unleashed.
    Cons: He also says ‘Runway’ is not about being on TV, it’s about being a designer.
    Verdict: Final four. While we appreciate his focus, he should keep in mind that producers play a hand in the decision making process. Designers who make good TV often survive those off weeks when their design just doesn’t sing. C’mon, Joshua, have some fun!

Fallene Wells, 29, Denver
    Pros: She can get along with anyone.
    Cons: She’s all about keeping things drama free. While we agree not stressing out is important, we’re wondering if this is a sign that she lacks passion.
    Verdict: Middle of the pack. Being nutty-granola laid back often means you get run over by more aggressive, hysterical types on this show, though we suspect we’d much prefer hanging out with Wells than some of the screamers.

Viktor Luna, 30, New York City
    Pros: He’d like to design a futuristic, voluminous gown for Bjork. Plus, he’s the youngest of seven kids. He probably knows how to deal with lots of personalities.
    Cons: He’s also the baby of the family, and sometimes (we’re just going on those birth order studies, don’t take it personally) babies can be laid back dreamers instead of go-getters who will fight to the death for the last roll of cherry-colored gauze at Mood.
    Verdict: Top two. Who thinks about Bjork anymore? We love that he wants to make something crazy for her (really, the only option) and isn’t scared off by the fact she once wore a swan dress. With an egg purse.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  38. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oliver Green, 22, New York City
    Pros: He designed a men’s suit jacket that was featured on Italian Vogue’s Web site.
    Cons: It was a men’s suit jacket.
    Verdict: Top six. While he might primarily be a menswear designer, he’s apparently a very chic one. While this challenge is (almost never) about designing for guys, he clearly knows color, cut and how to sew well if he got the nod from Vogue.

Becky Ross, 38, based in Portland, Ore.
    Pros: She’s a designer. She has a pulse.
    Cons: She’s from Portland (we haven’t gotten over the nightmare that was Gwetchen). Her first clothing designs were for her Barbie at age 8.
    Verdict: Fifth auf'ed. At 38, she still goes by Becky instead of Rebecca, which makes me think that she might be just too cutesy cut-and-sew to have real vision.

Cecilia Motwani, 34, New York City
    Pros: Hmmm…
    Cons: She’s self taught. And who would she like to create an outfit for? Ellen DeGeneres. Yes, she’d make her silk jeans, but come on. That’s not even trying.
    Verdict: Seventh auf'ed. I’m getting flashbacks to Stella and the leather pants she made week after week after week after week…

Kimberly Goldson, 36, White Plains, Md.
    Pros: She’d like to put actress-singer Jennifer Hudson in a long sleeved, backless minidress. Not too original, but I kinda like that she wants to dress Hudson.
    Cons: The first thing she ever made that was “wearable” was a dress for her sister’s wedding rehearsal. That was just four years ago, people!
    Verdict: Fourth auf'ed. Unless she somehow ended up interning for Marc Jacobs shortly after that wedding, she lacks any kind of real world experience. And as much as I like Hudson, she’s not exactly a cutting edge style icon.

Anya Ayoung-Chee, 29, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
    Pros: She wore a slouchy gray jumpsuit she designed when she competed in the 2008 Miss Universe Pageant. Plus, she’s clearly a woman of the world.
    Cons: Pageant queens are tough as nails, but does she have the design experience?
    Verdict: Top six. I’m just going to take a chance on Ayoung-Chee being as interesting a designer as her background would suggest.

Bryce Black, 26, Portland, Ore.
    Pros: His style icon is Lady Gaga. Good answer, but also an easy one.
    Cons: He also seems to be obsessed with her (Internet stalking was mentioned). We’re also leery of his Portland roots. If he’s not the Northwestern Alexander McQueen, we’re worried.
    Verdict: Final four. While his Lady Gaga obsession could be good or bad (hoof shoes are only cute once or twice), he has a great name for a label. We'll try to overlook the Portland problem... this time.

Joshua McKinley, 25, New York City
    Pros: In his spare time, he’s a thrifter and a runner. While athletic pursuits rarely pay off on this show, at least this indicates he has stamina.
    Cons: He doesn’t own a TV set. Does he have any idea what he’s getting into?
    Verdict: Middle of the pack. While I dig that he scours thrift stores (a good source for ideas and it suggests he has a deep understanding of retro fashion trends), if he doesn’t know the show he’s not going to be prepared for some of the weirder challenges and twists. Let's hope he watches TV on the Internet.

Julie Tierney, 35, Grand Junction, Colo.
    Pros: Welllll…
    Cons: She used to be a pastry chef at a restaurant owned by Heidi Montag’s parents. This is not something I’d tell people about.
    Verdict: Sixth auf'ed. While big kudos to her for changing career paths after age 30 (and God knows chefs can handle screaming, drama and tight deadlines), she sounds like she’s more committed to outdoorsy pursuits (she’s a devoted skier) than the drudgery that can sometimes be design.

Laura Kathleen, 26, St. Louis
    Pros: She’s a fashion design teacher who’s been auditioning since season five. That’s determination.
    Cons: Her one true love is her toy poodle, Oliver. We love dogs, but a toy poodle? Isn’t she seventy years too young for one of those?
    Verdict: Final four. The fact that she’s been so determined to get on the show suggests she’ll fight to stay, but I also wonder if her designs didn’t pop enough prior to season nine to get any of the “PR” staff’s attention.

Anthony Ryan Auld, 28, Baton Rouge, La.
    Pros: Yeah….
    Cons: He’s COLOR BLIND :D (red-green and blue-yellow color blind, a double whammy). This isn’t usually a big deal if you’re, say, an accountant or a garbage collector. But if you’re an airline pilot or a fashion designer? Big, big problem.
    Verdict: First auf’ed. Sorry, but I simply cannot get past color blindness. Call me crazy, but I see some very, very confusing visits for him at Mood.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  39. David

Yay, only two weeks AND the Aussie Series (with a new team of Megan Gale and Alex Perry) has just started too *feels spoiled*

40. David

Especially as the second episode which I just watched was a Project D challenge.