Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Jark, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Jark

Jark campione

That's vile, misogynistic and completely unfunny

2. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

:(

dUb likes this.
  3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

£40 is cheaper than average for an arena gig though, isnt it?

4. Jark

Jark campione

very much so

also the academy tour she did was about 32 quid if I recall and I imagine this de facto Greatest Hits tour will be quite an upgrade in terms of spectacle :disco:

5. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I'll be (mildly) interested to see how the tour and the album perform. She feels like a bit of a one-woman The Saturdays to me - capable of keeping the hits coming, but does she really inspire hardcore fandom?

That said I really really like this song.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias User

i don’t know i’m not a particular arena-artiste gig-goer

the point i’m making is that for somebody like rita ora who has been a casual nonchalant single artist to suddenly go from 6k venues to 40 quid 22k venues seems a stretch

i’m happy to be proven wrong though (i think)

7. lolly

I don't think it's a stretch really - I'm surprised she was doing the academy circuit before to be honest.

And I don't think the arenas she's doing are 22k anyway, other than the O2, if that has that capacity (I thought it was 20k). Bournemouth, Cardiff and Liverpool are significantly under half that figure, and I think Glasgow and Leeds are probably under 15k.

I think she's being optimistic, but it feels achievable to me, particularly if this album sells.

I really don't think she's reaching as much as people like Martine McCutcheon and Claire Richards with their tours of venues a fraction of the size.

8. Jark

Jark campione

She will absolutely sell out with prices that low. 5 big hits from this album = LOADS of appeal for office girls' night out or twinks who can't afford to see P!nk. I think people consistently underestimate how popular she actually is.

QUEEN!

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias User

are you comparing rita ora to martine mccutcheon in an argument about gig capacity?

i’m sure she will be fine but to go from the brixton academy to the o2 is quite a move you do have the opollo in between!

10. lolly

Yes - RELATIVELY

11. Devil

Devil I Need A House

To be honest, it's a massive turn around the past 15 months for her.

She was big, but a bit like the Saturdays as Lolly said, for album #1. Then all the stop-starting, the random singles, the X Factor, a few underperformances etc and it was kind of like she had faded out.

But I think Your Song, Lonely Together, Anywhere, For You and now Let You Love Me have proper done what seemed like a rather difficult task of turning her back into a genuine, top of the game female popstar.

12. Jark

Jark campione

I usually hate these but she did an acoustic version with a new vocal and it's absolutely brilliant

She is a fantastic singer. It always sounds SO easy with her.

13. Jark

Jark campione

back up to 5.

13-6-5-6-5-6-5 :disco:

14. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

A terrible human being with an impressively unmemorable discography. I swear I must have heard her first three singles a million times and yet I honestly have no idea what they sound like.

15. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I'm in two different straight stag do WhatsApp groups at the moment and in both, Rita Ora appears to be the woman DU JOUR for straight men be incredibly misogynistic and sexual about/ knock one out over...

16. Jark

Jark campione

Because straight men can't deal with beautiful and sexually confident women.

Penelope and COB like this.
  17. Rita

Rita User

SING IT.

18. Jark

Jark campione

Album's out. It's good, not up to the standards of the singles and not exactly laced with potential future hits but I do think this one should get the single treatment

New Look is also very lovely. The whole thing is so pop, highly unpretentious. Which is a nice way of saying basic but lovely.

19. Iguana

Iguana User

I had this on getting ready this morning and it's very listenable! I find her personality quite jarring but you can't deny the choons.

20. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

The album cover has been creepily blinking at me on Spotify all day.

21. Devil

Devil I Need A House

We've got it on in the background at work.

It's ok. I didn't expect it to be amazing, but one or two more Anywhere/Lonely Together's would have been nice.

22. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

finally gave it a SALE/STREAM whatever
    it's ok-ish kinda bland bar some of the singles which we know already are UNDENIABLE

the new tracks, not so much. like Jark mentioned, I don't see any potential singles here.

oh well, it was a nice 4-5-year wait REETS, see ya in 2023

23. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

How can you not remember what Anywhere sounds like? It's one of the best pop songs of the decade.

Pipo likes this.
  24. Halli

Halli Queen Nat - The Voice

So is poison a hidden track xoxo

25. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Took me a while to work out what New Look reminded me of... it's last year's Lithuanian Eurovision national finalist Greta Zazza. Chord progressions, whoops in the background, it's really similar.

Actually I'll edit this post to say that now I put them back to back, it's just a ripoff.

26. Jark

Jark campione

To be fair, the last song recorded for this album was Your Song in early 2017 and New Look has been around since at least 2016, so unlikely to be an intentional rip off unless the Lithuanian track had also been knocking around for some time.

27. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

That IS very similar. But nowhere near as good.

David_5000 likes this.
  28. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

So the whole album has just been sat on for 18 months? I assumed some of it was old but they had at least tinkered with the tracklisting with a few new songs. That must have been rather frustrating to say the least.

29. Slave

Slave User

If they'd had any sense, they'd have sat on it INDEFINITELY.

As others have said, it's just entirely AVERAGE and it definitely sounds like something that's been gradually pieced together over the course of several years. I really thought that after Anywhere, she'd come back with a really consistent, cohesive album with a clear direction after all the false starts.

30. Pipo

omg there's one song that sounds like Anywhere but with different lyrics and it even includes some MARIACHI cameo I think it was Hell Of A Life??

it must be a single!!!!!!!1

31. Jark

Jark campione

Yes. It was initially meant to launch with Anywhere but for completely unknown reasons the label thought "three huge hits is not enough, we'll wait for Girls to smash" and then that... didn't happen. She's already been back in the studio though so I imagine there'll be new singles at least next year.

32. Rita

Rita User

How is this doing in the midweeks?

33. Slave

Slave User

#6 in the official chart update. I’m not sure if it’s changed since.

34. Rita

Rita User

That is pretty underwhelming. From what I have heard so is the album.

35. Slave

Slave User

They should’ve released it after Anywhere. It would’ve been an easy #1 and if the label was absolutely intent on having it back on the market for Christmas, they could’ve chucked out a deluxe edition once everyone realised how shit the album was.

36. Devil

Devil I Need A House

#9 now. She did 11.5k in the first three days so should hopefully hold top 10 and around 18-19k which is okay sales, but yeah, pretty disappointing.

37. Pipo

I think top 10 is pretty much a small accomplishment considering this is RITA ORA and the album is average at best

38. Suedey

Suedey User

What's the matter what's the matter with me what's the matter with me oh I wish that I could let you love me
    NOW!

Pipo likes this.
  39. Jark

Jark campione

This performance on Jimmy Kimmel with a new arrangement is absolute perfection.

12/10

David_5000 and COB like this.
  40. COB

COB Kiss My Grits

Oh that's MARVELLOUS.