Robyn - Dancing On My Own

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by VoR, Jan 28, 2012.

?

I'm just gonna dance all night...

1. 10

69.6%
  2. 09

5.4%
  3. 08

16.1%
  4. 07

5.4%
  5. 06

3.6%
  6. 05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

It's oh-so-cool to be snarky about Robyn on Moopy these days, but what do you actually think about this 2010 top ten hit?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Jark

Jark User

My favourite song of 2010. Unspeakably gorgeous.

3. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

My favourite of the year also. Heartbreaking, danceable, and ALL TOO OFTEN relatable :(

I love both versions but I think I prefer the original one with the more imposing, longer synth opening. The bit where the drums kick back in after the middle eight still gets me every time.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

*ellie waltzes in and ruins vote*

5. Mugatu

Mugatu a marginalized clown

I'm LOATHE to ruin the poll but I'd give it a nine - I prefer the production on Hang with Me, it's a little more delicate and she's got that extra bit of LONGING in the vocal.

6. Penelope

7. VoR

It's OK, someone with NO SOUL is going to properly ruin it soon anyway.

8. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I still LOVE IT but the subsequent single releases have cought up with this at the very least!

Plus the plinky-plonky radio edit almost RUINS the song.

9. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

HIYA VOR

No i really like it, there's nice lyrics, but it's all a bit too STANDARD ROBYN FORMULA for my liking.

I do think she's grand (though more and more IN THEORY), but last time around i did get a bit bored of her whinnying on about heartbreak and the like to a bleepy background, as she does on all of her best songs (imo). I'm sure this would feel much more special without heartbeat/be mine/girlfriend/time machine having also made trips to the same creative well. MIX IT UP A BIT ROBYN (and make it AS STRONG / STRONGER - the attempts she has made to think outside the box in recent times have mostly fallen flat for me).

10. Penelope

The comment thread when The Guardian announced this as their song of the year was RIDICULOUSLY real music mansonable. Choice 'highlights':

THAT SAID the following few managed to pull it back a bit.

11. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Love it, won't ever be her best song as long as "With Every Heartbeat" is around but it comes pretty damn close...

12. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Not bothered about this bitch but the maximality of this max track is UNDENIABLE!

13. Jark

Jark User

Now THAT is an overrated bore if ever I heard one

14. POP!

I think you're talking about "Be Mine!"

15. Jark

Jark User

THAT TOO!

My Robyn favourites pre-DOMO are Who's That Girl and Handle Me

16. Penelope

Who's That Girl and Handle Me (+ Keep This Fire Burning and Show Me Love) are all tremendous but you're downright WRONG on With Every Heartbeat Jark :hitler:

17. Mugatu

Mugatu a marginalized clown

With Every Heartbeat is a fucking TRIUMPH. The template for what was to come.

18. POP!

Yeah I'm not sure how somebody could love one and despise the other, both are Robyn doing what she does best.

19. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

11 With Every Heartbeat

20. VoR

I genuinely judge people who do not like With Every Heartbeat, Be Mine or Dancing On My Own.

Not loving any of them betrays a fundamentally flawed character.

21. Steptacular

Steptacular User

I do love a bit of Robyn and would say this song is her ultimate best. With Every Heartbeat is a close second but this is just a bit more gorgeous. The first time I heard it when Radio 1 premièred it I was convinced it would give her another #1. Every time I'm led in to that chorus it gives me chills.

22. Slave

Slave User

8/10 - I don't LOVE IT but it's better than anything from the previous album (besides 'Handle Me' which I still love, weirdly)

23. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I'm with TurnerPrize on this one. I do absolutely love it and if I compare it to most other artists it's still in a different stratosphere but I actually don't think it was quite good ENOUGH. Too much of a retread for me. Oh, and I much prefer the radio edit to the original. It's tougher and I find the album version plods a bit.

24. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

A 10/10 for me too, though good thing you didn't include a '13/10' option, cause I probably wouldn't have gone as far as ticking THAT one. The acoustic version by frumpy Flemish Pop Idol also-ran Kato (pictured performing live from a shop in my hometown in the YouTube vid below :D) is quite lovely as well, but the fact it outperformed the original by far in our sales charts is of course an abomination :Oi:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jg2hNx-hRLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

25. Slave

Slave User

I always got the impression that she never REALLY stood a chance anyway. Nothing about the 'Robyn' campaign felt like a genuine breakthrough (even 'With Every Heartbeat' was far from one of the most remembered #1 hits of that year), it was just like all the internet loons got together and actually managed to get her into the charts in the hope that the general public would bite, which they didn't. Plus she left it far too long to follow-up the album bearing in mind the small dent it made on the chart.

26. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

You're right, The Proclaimers featuring Brian Potter & Andy Pipkin, Sean Kingston and Eva Cassidy & Katie Melua provided the true soundtrack to Oh Seven :(

27. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

It's ok I guess. But it's got absolutely nothing on Indestructible.

28. Slave

Slave User

It's not far BEHIND!

I never hear 'With Every Heartbeat' anywhere these days, except occasionally as part of a generic dance compilation.

29. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I still hear With Every Heartbeat and Be Mine all the time in shops and so on. I do agree though - I don't think any of her songs are particularly well remembered generally.

30. VoR

She doesn't have the idiot-on-the-street appeal of Katy Perry and Gaga, true. But she's definitely well regarded in other circles, and I think she'll still be having a visible and occasionally chart bothering career for years after the current wave of pop icons have faded out, even if she never has another #1 single or platinum album.

The success or lack thereof of the Body Talk era is hard to really guage anyway, because the release schedule was SO fucked up and ill-conceived. But she made major inroads in America and Europe, toured for two years and kept Radio 1 on board throughout. What she does next will be the big determining factor.

31. Slave

Slave User

I think she'll continue to be a critical darling, but a visible chart career? I just don't see that happening. The whole 'Body Talk' thing was so ill-planned, it was hardly a surprise that it didn't work here so it is hard to gauge. But I'd put hefty money on her never having another top 20 hit

32. Penelope

Then again, you could've easily said that after Dream On flopped so much! I don't think many people at all expected Dancing On my Own to go top ten...

33. VoR

I don't think Dream On really did her career any harm. It was just a single too far really.

34. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

DITTO.

it's just SO GOOD

35. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

She's like the Pink of electro-pop. All sound the same, quality rarely drops, but my god it's dull. Cry When You Get Older came on at work today, which was nice, but it's hard to take more than 2-3 of her songs in the one sitting.

36. Steptacular

Steptacular User

One thing I remember about With Every Heartbeat which I believe contributed to its success is that it was the soundtrack to the 'Radio 1 in Ibiza' adverts that played frequently through the summer of 2007 on BBC1. The same thing happened in 2008 with Pjanoo by Eric Prydz though that had to settle for #2.

37. straightorbroken

I wish the same had happened for both Longing For Lullabies and Lay Me Down.

38. VoR

I can see the With Every Heartbeat/Dancing On My Own similarities, but Be Mine doesn't sound remotely similar beyond it being a pop record by the same singer. Same with Hang With Me, Indestructible and Call Your Girlfriend.

Plus her albums are ANYTHING but samey. Body Talk is all over the place!

39. straightorbroken

Call Your Girlfriend is absolutely lovely. But it's hardly distinct from her other similar songs.

40. VoR

It's not a massive departure, but I fail to see how it's any more similar to anything else she's released than, say, two singles from a Katy Perry album. Or indeed any pop singer who has a recognisable "sound".