Roma

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by VoR, Feb 14, 2019.

?

Someone take that poor dog for a walk!

1. 10

25.0%
  2. 09

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 08

50.0%
  4. 07

25.0%
  5. 06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

No thread for this year's likely Best Picture winner, then?

I found it to be visually gorgeous, definitely worthy of all the acclaim it's received for the cinematography. Several of the crowd shots of Mexico City feel like they're going to be genuinely iconic.

Narrative wise, I did find it *very* slow, and almost a bit too reverent. It's an obvious love letter from Cuarón to his childhood nanny/maid - the real woman gets a dedication at the end - but she's such a completely passive character in the movie that it's difficult to get much of a handle on her.

It definitely picked up in the final act, when things actually started, y'know, happening. One scene in particular, I won't spoil, but may be one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen in a film, without being in any way gory or melodramatic.

Overall I think I admired it a little more than I loved it, but still a great achievement in filmmaking. I can definitely see why there's so much love for it.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I loved it, I’ve seen this type of woman in my life and I understood the kind of passiveness that her role required and despite her passiveness I thought Yalitza did a fantastic job making me care for her.

Ellie likes this.
  3. big ron

big ron MOD

I loved it. I enjoyed its pace, it was slow yes, but that brought out the intimacy of the film. I'm a sucker for black and white anyway.