Romania 2019

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Pingu, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Pingu

Pingu Never thought I'd work again

The Romania selection kicks off this month with two semi-finals in January and a final on February 17. The songs have all been released today.

Not the most inspiring bunch but there are a few of interest...

Laura Bretan - Dear Father
    Laura was born in 2003 or something absolutely sickening like that, and has already won Romania's Got Talent and been a finalist on America's Got Talent (I don't know exactly whether "finalist" means she reached the final or is the usual overhyping by Eurofans when somebody gets some real world attention). As such she is apparently the overwhelming favourite with this popera ballad. Sounds a bit dirgey to these ears but maybe it will come to life when it's performed live.

Mihai - Baya (Speechless)
    This is exactly the kind of trash that we'd all love for Romania to return to if it were being sent by a 22 year-old tone-deaf slapper - unfortunately it's actually the vehicle for yet another attempt by 2006 representative and 2010s desperado Mihai. It's an enjoyable throwback though. Incidentally, anybody unfamiliar with Mihai should be made aware that he never has looked like the picture in this YouTube video.

Nicola - Weight of the World
    Another former Eurovision entrant, this time from 2003, Nicola is back with some Sigala-pop with the Eurovision dial cranked up a couple of notches. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) she's lost a good bit of her nasal delivery and neutralised her accent a bit in the intervening 16 years, and it may be generic and about 3 years late but I fucking love this.

Xandra - Independent
    Xandra has entered the selection every year since 2016 and has build up a bit of a fan following thanks to a good voice and some solid ballads. Anyway some hype was building about this (among the 40-strong Romanian fan echo chamber) following the news she's going uptempo (OOOWWWW). Anyway the song's out and it's a fucking MESS. She's got about as much stage presence as a potato in drag as Rebecca Ferguson so god knows how she's going to perform this!

Another piece of potential news is that the first artist ever to represent Romania, Dan Bittman, was due to compete but has pulled out in the last few days. There's a rumour swirling around that he's to be replaced by Bella Santiago, who came close last year and has since won their version of X Factor. If she's being parachuted in then she must be the frontrunner. Here are a couple of her performances:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. Pingu

All 23 songs can be found here.

3. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Too bad Inna is a REAL ARTISTÉ now which means no hope for her entering anytime soon.:( COME THROUGH ALEXANDRA IN 2020 THOUGH.

4. Haiku

Haiku User

TVR have announced, in addition to the current selected acts, there will be 2 or so wildcards added.

If it's true Bella Santiago applied for it (and I doubt TVR would turn her down), I think she has a good chance of winning.

Altho...

Funny you mentioned Inna cause there is a rumor circulating in a Romanian Facebook group that Inna applied for a wildcard as well. :D

It sounds too good to be true but one can dream she will bring a STOMPER. :disco:

OutSynk likes this.
  5. OutSynk

OutSynk User

OH MY GOD. If true this thread to be THE loon asylum of the Eurovision season.:disco:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Haiku likes this.
  6. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

LOON LOUNGE LOVE :disco:

God knows we need at least ONE!

Haiku, OutSynk and Kalabaliken like this.
  7. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Inna actually has her own app (yes!) with a chat lounge (yes!!!) where most of the time she responds to fans with emojis but sometimes gives out some information as well so the next time she's online I'll be sure to ask her about this.:)

Haiku likes this.
  8. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I liked a couple of her ditties back in 2008 or whenever it was, but I must admit I’m a little baffled by the Inna looning. Has she had a glittering career in the Balkans that I’ve missed out on?

9. OutSynk

OutSynk User

I don't know about glittering but yes she's still making music and there are people somewhere (where it's a bit sunnier) still listening to her.

300+ million views for this:

and almost 200 million for this:

10. Pingu

As much as I’d love that to be true I can’t imagine why she would apply now if she didn’t a month ago.

The same applies to Bella really so I’m going to guess that she’s been chosen as a wildcard already and this is all to make it look above board so the other contestants don’t get arsey.

11. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I can confirm that Inna is Big in Japan

12. OutSynk

OutSynk User

She said no.:( Obviously I couldn't hear her but it sounded like a "What the fuck is wrong with you?!" no.:(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  13. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

But did you get an emoji?

Alla likes this.
  14. OutSynk

OutSynk User

No, for that you have to say "I love you so much kweeen xoxoxxxx" or "why dont you ever respond to my messages im so sad cutting myself right now :cry:".

Zu-Klara and Haiku like this.
  15. Haiku

Haiku User

16. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

It’s probably just as well Inna said no as she wouldn’t be able to beat Bella Santiago anyway. If she’s in that is.

17. Kalabaliken

The two wildcards have just been announced. Bella Santiago as we all thought and Linda Teodosiu, who is German-Romanian and was on German Pop Idol about ten years ago.

Hmmmm...Bella's sounds way to much like a demo right now, I am a bit disappointed. She sounds amazing though so it might be better live, but it needs a total revamp. Linda's song is nice actually, and much more a proper song, if nothing amazing.

18. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Ooh, Army of Love would do very nicely thank you. Yes it could do with a spruce up but it's already a bit of a banger.

Renegades, meh. Fine but utterly generic.

19. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Army of Love is just a mega watered down Fuego - I'm surprised at how blatant it is.

OutSynk likes this.
  20. Kalabaliken

Is every female uptempo ethnopop song going to be compared to Fuego from now on? Fuego was hardly original to begin with!

21. Alla

Alla ®

True, but it was so successful that it's inevitable.

22. OutSynk

OutSynk User

What does even this mean now that I've heard the song.:D Do you mean that Bella is so popular right now because of X Factor?

23. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Yes but the section from 1:02 is just taking the piss.

24. Pingu

Well that worked well. Mihai’s just withdrawn.

25. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Omg is that 'Fly like you do it like you fly' girl? :D

26. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

The very same :disco:

I might do it at karaoke tomorrow

Fly like you do it like you fly like you do it like you fly like you do it like a WOMAN

Are those the words? :D

27. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I THINK they are. You kept singing them to annoy me when you came once! :D

Diddy likes this.
  28. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I would NEVER :angel:

29. OutSynk

OutSynk User

It's actually (according to the internet):

Fly like you do it
    Like you're high
    Like you do it
    Like you fly
    Like you do it
    Like a women

Fly like you do it
    Like you're high
    Like you do it
    Like you try
    Like you do it
    Like a women

Diddy likes this.
  30. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I don’t know if that makes less sense or not :D

Like a women?!

31. Pingu

Army of Love has been given a slight revamp already - more ethno-whistling business going on now.

As for the Fuego comparisons, I think the "rip-off" accusations are a bit distracting from the question of whether it would be here if Fuego hadn't happened.

Is it plagiarism? No.
    Did Fuego reinvent the wheel? No.
    Is she trying to "do a Fuego?" Well PROBABLY.

Whether it's a direct copy or not, the comparisons are going to be constant and UNFAVOURABLE.