Romanian dance retrospective

Discussion in 'Dance & Electronica' started by Mugatu, Apr 3, 2016.

?

FLY LIKE I DO IT LIKE I FLY LIKE A WOMAN (or something)

1. Alexandra Stan - Get Back (ASAP)

20.0%
  2. Alexandra Stan - Lollipop

20.0%
  3. Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat

60.0%
  4. Edward Maya / Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love

90.0%
  5. Inna - Amazing

40.0%
  6. Inna - Hot

40.0%
  7. Inna - Sun Is Up

30.0%
  8. The Wanted - Glad You Came

20.0%
  9. You've forgotten one, you dozy twat

30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mugatu

Mugatu Administrator

[​IMG]

In the early years of the 2010s, a sudden, swarthy influx of Rumanians made their way into our shores, demanding OUR taxpayers' money. A troop of loose women with loose morals and a loose grasp of basic saxophone chords swarmed their way into Britain and our low-grade nightclubs, climbing to the top of our waiting lists (to be the next song on after fucking Cascada or LMAO or whatever).

So what are your favourites of this fleeting but occasionally fabulous craze?

Alexandra Stan - Get Back (ASAP)
    Alexandra Stan - Lollipop
    Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat
    Edward Maya / Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love
    Inna - Amazing
    Inna - Hot
    Inna - Sun Is Up
    The Wanted - Glad You Came

(I'll fix the poll if I've missed out some obvious stuff, I was going off what I could remember)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

A fabulous phenomenon.

3. Marilyn

Marilyn User

09 Alexandra Stan - Get Back (ASAP)
    09 Alexandra Stan - Lollipop
    10 Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat
    08 Edward Maya / Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love
    06 Inna - Amazing
    07 Inna - Hot
    08 Inna - Sun Is Up
    07 The Wanted - Glad You Came

Alexandra Stan was/is amazing. Her first album was $1 WELL SPENT.

4. Marilyn

Marilyn User

HMM
    I like de candy
    I like de choklit
    UMMMM
    De ice cream is very good but
    I JUST LOVE MY LOLLIPOP

:horny:

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Administrator

06 Alexandra Stan - Get Back (ASAP)
    08 Alexandra Stan - Lollipop
    07 Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat
    10 Edward Maya / Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love - This is definitely the summit of this whole thing, mournful and atmospheric and quite a lot more sparse-sounding than the others but still an absolute banger.
    07 Inna - Amazing
    09 Inna - Hot
    09 Inna - Sun Is Up - I love the SEXY video where Inna FROLICS in a pool NAKED. It makes me want to be a lad on tour.
    09 The Wanted - Glad You Came - Probably the best boyband single in ages, I'm glad they went down the route of ripping this trend off instead of 1D's Sheeranite bollocks (I really think Little Things is a modern cultural nadir)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

My favourite was the era's swansong Lemonade, where the genre accidentally crossbred with Swedish reggae.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4eWfRjyp2Nc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Mugatu

Mugatu Administrator

A lot of people don't realise that there is a very powerful and intricately-woven story that connects Alexandra Stan's videos.

In Lollipop, Alexandra is a woman on the edge, in fair Timisoara where we lay our scene. Joined by a fierce girl gang of two anonymous dancers, she is forced to earn a living by performing in food-based webcam shows wearing a kilt.

Arrested for outraging public decency following a Chupa Chups insertion incident, Mr Saxobeat is the next chapter in her journey. Hauled in for questioning, she declines to answer, instead singing a sloppily Google Translated limerick about going up and down or something. She is summarily detained without trial, in one of the series' most emphatic pieces of social commentary. Guarded by just one officer, she charms him by stroking her own boob, robs his gun and holds her white male captors hostage, freeing herself.

Get Back (ASAP) sees a woman firmly in charge of her own destiny. Alexandra has escaped to a bordello on the Moldovan border, performing suspiciously similar songs for publicans in her sexy red dress. It is a deprived but spirited place and the drinkers take to her. The officers arrive in pursuit but a brutal bar brawl ensues, the vicious attacks of the police calling to mind the tyranny of Ceausescu. She strides out unnoticed with a wedge of banknotes, above their toxic masculinity.

Confident, free and with slightly nicer hair, Lemonade is a wider meditation on the corruption of the police force, possibly influenced by The Wire. There is a clear drug allegory to this piece. Alexandra has rose to the top of the narcotics industry, the police in her thrall, mere photographs on the cooling unit in her kitchen. The officers' arrival is not one of hot pursuit, but one of a needy calf, nuzzling the milky teat of crystal meth. She struts down the street. The world is hers, "sipping her lemonade".

8. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

What a topic! :disco:

Edward and Maya and Mr Saxobeat remain early 10's summer favourites! Not really familiar with the rest.

9. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Oh and this doesn't feel complete without Sofi's Love Unlimited.

10. Ag

Ag User

Stererolove and Amazing were SHITTING AWESOME.

11. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Some KEY cuts to add