S10 E13: Reunited

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by dUb, Jun 21, 2018.

1. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

2. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

That was a good reunion.

Dusty Ray's and Monique's bits were particularly painful, but rewarding to watch.

I've had enough of Asia turning Vixen into a victim. I don't buy the "she's just crying for help" rubbish. She was confronted with the fact that she ran her mouth when she could've just said nothing, she didn't like it so she did the cowardly thing and left.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Oh look when you bring back the interesting queens you end up with a good episode, who knew?

I loved how confrontational Asia was with Ru. Also Kameron getting called out was great (what was she wearing?).

I’m excited for Vanjie on next season.

Penelope likes this.
  4. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

Asia has just cemented herself as a Queen for Life and a Queen of Life. I am totally here for her being the only one to not just sit there and let shit happen. I applaud.

She has a light and morality that she didn't just abandon because it's TV. Do I agree with Vixen? No. The way that Ru was coming at it was so against her and pro Eureka though. It was like Ru expected a redemption moment from the Vixen to be all apologetic and repenting and when she didn't get it she was mad.

Good for the Vixen pulling a Bendela Creme and refusing to play the game and declaring herself out.

Kameron I felt for, I can relate a lot. It's like why I don't speak up in team meetings - she thinks she is a fraud and doesn't belong there, the girls opinion of her cements that feeling and it's like she's managed to avoid Ru discovering she's an imposter so she stays quiet to not draw attention to herself. It's the classic inner saboteur telling her she's not good enough.

The whole episode was so strange, up until like the last 20 minutes.

Penelope likes this.
  5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I don't necessarily agree with all Asia's protestations about The Vixen, but I do admire at least that she wouldn't let it be portrayed in the simplistic way that the script clearly wanted it to be ahead of Vixen's departure, and then challenging the set narrative after.

Penelope likes this.
  6. lolly

Poor old rubbish Kalorie, though. About 0.5% of the airtime of that show. And that felt too much.

And I'd quite forgotten Yuhua was ever there.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Their issue with Kameron wasn't that she was quite, it's that she doesn't engage with the others and she's a bit stuck up. I don't think that's imposter syndrome.

8. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Often shyness can be misconstrued as being stuck up though...

Kalorie's desperate "I just think you're fabulous and I wanna be your friend" bit made me cringe so hard. As did her attempted read on Vanje.

9. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

What VoR said... And there probably is a bit of cuntyness there if, as Monet said herself in this episode, she'd been written off by everyone by day 2.

It repeatedly came up in a 'jokey' way that Kam wasn't deserving of being there and I'd fully expect myself to be disconnected in the same way. Why try when they clearly don't send a message that they care... Why engage with that?

But it comes back to my point that she doesn't engage in the first place because she feels like she's not entitled to be there any way.

10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

What an uncomfortable episode! All the top 4 had some moments of being dragged or dragging, I guess Asia and Aquaria came out of it slightly better. Asia not letting it go was so good, but made it even worse when Ru just shut it all down.

Ru is really testing me (I said testing) with this whole season. She wrote off Vixen because of her own fucking daddy issues, haven’t we heard this a million times on the podcast? Jesus. Then he was all sweet as pie after digging for Emmys in Dusty, Monique and Blaire’s personal traumas, fuck you.

I was sobbing my heart out for Dusty and Monique though :( why not Blair though? I’m not sure. I mean I’ve never been raped but I’ve never been exorcised either so...

It felt like a really negative aura around the whole thing, I can’t imagine anyone felt any better after airing any of that laundry (voluntarily or otherwise). Ru going on about how real this all was, but it wasn’t reality, just reality TV.

I’m not sure how I feel about this show now. I liked the cast a lot, but the original format is creaking under the weight of its own hype and Ru’s agenda and hubris I think... am I crazy?

Alla likes this.
  11. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

These episodes are always going to feel really negative since the talent excuse is non-existent and the sole purpose is the reality tv and drama potential.

Diddy and Alla like this.
  12. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh of course
    But I didn’t feel like this in S9

I guess this format suits the need for drama better than the on-stage reunions

13. Alla

Alla ®

Nobody expecting Kameron to win made the episode for me.

14. Dark Carnival

Oh I too do not agree with the victim narrative for The Vixen, everyone and Ru coming for her was clearly not the right way to deal with it and it probably fed what she already believed i.e. everyone's always attacking her. But a victim she is NOT. She clearly instigated the drama between Aquaria and Cracker and had nothing to say when Ru confronted her with that.

When you clearly have so many deep rooted issues reality tv is the worst place for you. Ru obviously thinks otherwise.

15. Dark Carnival

I know right.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

You must have forgotten when they all ganged up on Valentina.

17. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

If it's like last year, this was filmed after the finale so they already know who's in the final two.

18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

But what does that mean? I think three of them got about the same, and Kameron nothing. But could it be because she out-lipped someone and they thought it was undeserved, or they just don’t like her?

19. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I suppose that’s true

Maybe I just believed them :D

20. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I'm just saying it's odd that they had to go through the rigmarole of saying who they want to win when they most likely know which pair it's between. From what happened,

Asia was thrown a few token votes, having already been knocked out, and nobody bothered with Kameron because she's gone too and wasn't particularly liked. I reckon it's between Eureka and Aquaria

21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh I wasn’t digging, I just wondered how that could play out. I hope this was before the reunion anyway, maybe there’s nothing in it

22. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I think it's unlikely that The Vixen would show up all smiles the next day/week for the finale after what happened here.

23. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

MEANWHILE this horror exists

24. lolly

I hate Eureka's voice.

Well, it's part of the list.

25. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Oh my god :D Oh my GOD

26. Alla

Alla ®

Oh dear the DESPERATION.

27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ugh!

Can’t she just win because she’s good at being a drag queen, or does she need to make it into a big queen Obama moment? Where’s the charisma? She’s just UNT

28. Alla

Alla ®

I cringe with that "I need to win because it would be a win for every fat girl" shit.

29. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Almost everyone who voted for eureka in the reunion did so for reasons OTHER the her being a good drag queen. It was either because she's a bit queen or because she's "supportive" or blah blah.

30. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

There's a significant backlash against Ru on Reddit for how she dealt with The Vixen,

31. Alla

Alla ®

Well there's a backlash against Ru every time she farts these days.

32. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Well, I think the Reunion was pretty fucking disgusting. Less reunion, more exploitation. Let's exploit the traumas of four queens as entertainment and focus less on the actual DRAG. Ru's hideous meglomaniacal personality had totally jumped the shark for me, and I'm glad that somebody like Asia could challenge that narrative that Ru pedals of how alternate choices are so easy to make.

Penelope, Diddy, Suedey and 1 other person like this.
  33. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Blair’s face while watching herself relive being raped really said it all- completely uncomfortable and unnecessary. The reunion should be pretty much exclusively about what happened on the season itself, there was just no need for any of the stuff with Blair, Monet, Monique or Yuhua.

I’m shocked we didn’t get a fifteen minute psychological deconstruction of how Kalorie is dealing with that time she was hit by a bottle full of piss

Beverley likes this.
  34. Suedey

Suedey PROUD MADAME X FAN

Repugnant

35. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Have we seen Asia’s fabulous look at VH1 trailblazer party

Kameron looking like a drunk soccer mom.

36. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I have mixed feelings about Ru vs Vixen. I kind of feel like painting Vixen as a tragic victim who just needs help is more patronising than expecting her to take responsibility for her own behaviour? At what point is she asking for help? At what point can she be realistically expected to accept it?

I hugely respect Asia for having the balls to stand up to Ru, but I've never seen any indication that Vixen is interested in the possibility of personal growth. Yes, a lot of what she's raised RE racial tropes and stereotypes on the show are valid. But it really feels like she's much more comfortable using those issues as a crutch to avoid doing any kind of introspection or work on herself.

No, she doesn't owe it to anybody to change who she is. But then does the world necessarily owe her more of a favour than it does the other black queens from this season, all of whom just seem a lot more mature and easy to get along with?

37. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Also she flat out lied about Monet talking shit about Cracker in episode one.

I’m glad there’s been some blow back between the reunion and the evil twin episode, Ru was out of control.

38. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Which is half of drag these days tbh

39. lolly

40. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

For the good it’ll do... but that’s good.

Ru: Other people’s opinions are none of your damn business
    Also Ru: I’m convinced your misery is deeper than you’re showing but also you are obliged to show it. And MAKE. IT. FUNNY