S11 E04: Trump The Rusical

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by dUb, Mar 22, 2019.

1. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

No new episode thread at 2:37pm on this here day? The fatigue is real CLOSE THE FORUM

2. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

What the hell was Joel McHale up to? :manson:

:horny: all the same mind

3. jyxz

jyxz User

The scripted ‘hoemance’ is annoying - and we’re only two episodes in.

4. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Christ Joel McHale was insufferable. One of the worst guest judges ever.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

This was an episode that happened. Nothing terribly exciting or awful happened.

Silky reminds me of Mystique and her endless lies. She’s a PhD student, infiltrating the Republican Party and her weight fluctuates.

It feels like the show is just nosediving at the moment.

6. VoR

Silky seems to be calming down a bit now at least. I mean, relative to the nightmare of episode one.

I hope this doesn't sound snobby, but I don't understand how a PHD student can't even read a teleprompter. In fact the basic literacy skills were shocking across the board. How could so many of them not understand what the word Colonel was when it was literally preceding the word Sanders?

Suomi, cwej and Beverley like this.
  7. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Honey Davenport's Orange Alert runway was quite something. Well, relative to the look she sashayed away in, anyway.

8. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

I liked this episode and I'm liking this season. The lip sync was great despite the wig loss. I think there is perhaps a bit more dead weight compared to the last two seasons, but equally there's less chance of it fading into dullness in the way S10 did.

It's so heavy handed all the same. Did anyone not predict the entire Mercedes story arch from the jump?

Yay for a ball next week. Last season's was fun.

Ag likes this.
  9. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Silky’s Oprah made me SCREAM!

The right girl went overall, but I didn’t think she was as bad as the panel made out- I was surprised she wasn’t less rubbish in the Rusical, which I quite enjoyed overall, to be honest. Better than many recent horrors...

Chlammy likes this.
  10. Ag

Ag User

I thought it was a good episode - some strong characteristics.

Anyone get the feeling getting a whooping straight guy on and lipsyncing to a man, was a nod to the fact it was Trump episode?

11. VoR

Oh I meant to mention Silky’s Oprah. Her makeup looked genuinely beautiful. A deserved win.

12. wurst

wurst User

X a muslim going home in a Trump themed episode :D

Also I thought Nina West amazing in the challenge, clearly sunk by her runway dressed as an ugly sister from the live action remake of Cinderella

Lucille and Chlammy like this.
  13. lolly

The top 3 this episode very much feel like the three to beat on what we've seen so far. And as much as she was bottom 3 this episode, I'd add Vanjie to make the top 4.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  14. wurst

wurst User

tbh she should just dress as Oprah ALL THE TIME

15. Ag

Ag User

Silky's Oprah was a proper second take moment.

16. VoR

Mercedes sign-off line was a proper “Did she just say that?!?” moment.

I get that it’s the language barrier but GIRL

Suomi likes this.
  17. Sheena

I need Oprah to acknowledge it.

18. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Mercedes may be the worst queen of all time. Imagine coming on as a Muslim drag queen and not only refusing to bring it in any way whatsoever, but also being completely unwilling to discuss your faith. Probably good representation only in the sense that there'll be hundreds of Muslim drag queens out there auditioning now on the basis of "like fuck is THAT my representation!". DREADFUL

On the other hand Tiffany Pollard was one of the very BEST guest judges they've ever had! :disco:

19. Ag

Ag User

Yes Mercedes was dreadful and yes Tiff is always value for money. Never forget she was central to David's Dead, the most iconic reality TV moment in the last decade, maybe ever.

Iguana, SDF and Penelope like this.
  20. lolly

NORWEGIA

Suedey, Penelope and Dark Carnival like this.
  21. VoR

It's always great when a guest judge is clearly a huge fan of the show.

Joel McHale has obviously *seen* the show, but his attitude sucked. He obviously felt he was there to make fun of it rather than to engage.

Suomi likes this.
  22. Ag

Ag User

So quick faves so far...

Yvie
    Nina
    Brooke
    Vanjie
    --------
    Silky
    --------
    Aerial
    Scarlet
    --------
    A'Keira
    Shuga
    Plastique
    Ra'Jah

23. cwej

cwej User

I honestly don’t think that was his intention, though I can see why it might have come across like that. Tiffany on the other hand, had some great lines when they came out on the runway. She was surprisingly witty.

Ariel is like a slightly less bitter Phiphi to me.

I feel like Rajah’s lip sync might be the making of her. She was great, especially next to Mercedes.

Silky was good but I thought Brooke was better.

On the autocue: they were totally doing some of that on purpose. It was that ridiculous ‘look how funny I am because I am unintelligent and can’t read something’ Jade Goody thing. Does my nut.

24. Sheena

I didn’t have a particular issue with Joel at all. The editing obviously played up to it. He seemed to be enjoying himself entirely and I don’t really get the issue. He wasn’t mocking it, was he?

Tiffany was great, though. I was surprised how good...

cwej and Chlammy like this.
  25. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Evie Oddly was the best of the lot I thought. Is it kinda obvious that she'll win?

How did Mercedes even make it this far? She's so cringe.

26. lolly

Yvie is an obvious frontrunner, but I don't necessarily think she's clear of the others. The fact that she was singled out for praise for her drag despite not winning surely stands her in good stead, though.

27. Ag

Ag User

Based on a points system I used last year, Yvie is in the lead:

1. Yvie Oddly (3)
    2. Brooke Lynn Hytes (2)
    3. Silky Nutmeg Ganache (2)
    =4. Nina West (1)
    -4. Scarlet Envy (1)
    =6.Plastique Tiara (1)
    =6.Vanessa Vanjie Mateo (1)
    =8. A'Keria C. Davenport (0)
    =8. Ariel Versace (0)
    =8. Shuga Cain (0)
    11. Ra'Jah O'Hara (-4)

28. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I loved Nina West in the Rusical

Every time she was on screen she had me gagged at her facial expressions

Silky was great as Oprah, I preferred Brooke and Yvie on the runway though

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  29. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

this is really good, they talk very candidly about the show (AS4 is discussed on the beginning and end)

30. Treacle

Treacle User

This is the 2nd week in a row where I felt a more obvious winner missed out. I get that snatching a lot of attention despite having a comparatively small role is a) a job well done and b) indicative of a queen’s ability to take her chances, but Silky’s runway was a jewelled gown. Big whoop.

31. cwej

cwej User

I'd say that top 5 all have a shot at the moment. They've all stood out at various points.

32. wurst

wurst User

I want A’Keria to bring it more in challenges. Her runway this week was amazing in a COMPLETELY different way to the others, I’m also loving her completely bemused general stance on life. She just needs a stand out moment - I’d be very happy with her finally making it as the pageant winner.

Following initial problems with this season i’m really enjoying it - it’s very old school and it helps. Looking back over season 10’s episode list on netflix most of those episodes i would never want to watch again :D yet I’d happily re-watch ep 2-4 from s11.

Brooke seems to be the early front runner, but would they REALLY crown a queen so similar to other recent winners? I get a whole lot of Trinity and a whiff of Aqueria in her.

33. wurst

wurst User

Also whilst Mercedes’ demise was a long time coming, this iconic moment will never not be amazing (now with a SHIT GAY REMIX :disco:)

I’ve not been as obsessed with anything since the rubbish dance remix of Big Brother’s Nikki saying “WHO IS SHE” :disco:

Suedey likes this.
  34. cwej

cwej User

Brooke Lynn doesn't come across as even remotely Aquaria or Trinity to me. I can't see a single similarity actually.

Ag likes this.
  35. cwej

cwej User

Brooke Lynn doesn't come across as even remotely Aquaria or Trinity to me. I can't see a single similarity actually.

36. wurst

wurst User

REALLY? Both Trinity and Brooke are national drag pageant title holders with a strong grasp of the runway. I see a lot more similarities with Brooke and Trinity/Aquaria than Brooke and Monet or Eureka/Asia

37. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

I mean, yeah, if you were doing a forced comparison of the ones she was most similar to across those five queens specifically. I doubt anyone would otherwise though.

cwej likes this.
  38. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I hate always being a week behind... I’m determined not to find spoilers, but I knew Silky won. I don’t mind, Oprah was a gag and her gown had a nice shape. Brooklyn probably should’ve snatched it.

Yvie makes me feel a bit gross in a way Sharon never did, not so much the visuals but the mannerisms - is her jaw unhinged too?

Sugar Cain (or whatever) was the biggest hoot in the runway, and her Hillary was funny too.

Scarlet I just don’t like. Is this was everyone felt with Trinity? I can see she’s good at stuff, but she’s got such an unlikeable attitude.

See also Rajah, who is constantly pissed off (thought granted that choreographer was a right cunt, even compared to Todrick)

Nina was good but her facial expressions just in normal life are so weird, like a goblin.

Ariel is just treading water, she did ok today but it’s real Farrah vibes for me at the moment, only less pretty and beady little bird eyes.

Mercedes was roadkill, I did :D at the comments about this episode from you lot. “I’m here to show everyone that Muslims aren’t terrorists!” If that wasn’t a total mess, it kind of skirts over how she wasn’t going to say anything until the last 20 minutes of her last episode!

Vanjie, come on... the Showgirl was great but Rosie... and I want Plastique to get her moment soon too.

I’ve definitely forgotten someone haven’t I...

39. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Zero interest in this season apart from Yvie - who does have a definite air of GRUBBY, although I’m quite intrigued by the loose skin - and Vanjie, who was totally tremendous in the Britney thing. Oh for the days of queens with brains rather than needy Insta bores and slags who can’t even pronounce Colonel

40. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’m glad to find out what Yvie’s deal is, I feel bad for thinking she looked like a Machop. A bit. She still acts weird

I’m SURE there was some tomfoolery in that autocue challenge, they bloody know how to read at least (it’s fundamental).

And the NERVE of them to be like YAAAAASSS we all know that choreographer from that Celina Dion video, when they don’t know anything about Mariah :D