S11 E08: Snatch Game at Sea

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Phoenix, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

That lip sync fucked me up. Good song + good performance.

Poor Nina was robbed again.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Also worst snatch game since season 7.

Alex likes this.
  3. jyxz

jyxz User

WHAT. A. LIP. SYNC!

4. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

The snatch game was terrible. Only Silky was vaguely amusing- and definitely deserving of the win.

How the fuck was Vanjie not bottom two? Brooke Lynn was terrible but surely she deserved to stay with that ru-veal. Having said that, I think it was predestined to be a “Chantay, you both stay” from the start. Thankfully the performance more than lived up to it. Would have been interesting if Brooke Lynn kept that ru-veal for the lip sync, though...

5. Suedey

Suedey I'm not gonna be IGNORED

Just watching it now

WORST SNATCHGAME EVER

6. wurst

wurst User

Who on earth was Nina’s second character? :D They don’t even appear to be google-able no matter how i vary the name. She wrote down Juann Walley (?) NO IDEA

I was legitimately gagged when i discovered BUSTER from Arrested Development was the :horny: handsome male guest judge :o

7. wurst

wurst User

Also A’Keria is my winner although i don’t think she’s stood out enough to take the title.

Brooke would be the obvious and deserved one, but she just doesn’t INSPIRE or EXCITE me.

Oh and HOW IS SHUGA CAIN STILL THERE

8. jyxz

jyxz User

Jo Anne Worley

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Anne_Worley

9. Ag

Ag User

Has anyone ever reached such a low and a peak within a single episode like Brooke managed?

10. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

I think she’s being totally slept on, I think she’s great. Totally underrated.

ButterTart, SDF and Ag like this.
  11. Suedey

I actually stopped the episode halfway to CHANGE LIGHTBULBS.

Haven't been compelled to watch the rest of it yet.

12. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Silky was good but my God, she's so fucking graceless. Not a good edit for her this week.

I think Shuga had a good week. Her Charo was strong and that dress was stunning. She's still just weirdly getting wiped out of the edit though. Was she the only one not to get a RuPaul workroom walkaround?

SDF likes this.
  13. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

They read Vanjie for just being Vanjie in the snatch game but Silky was just herself too?

I thought Nina and Shuga at least tried to perform as characters rather than just larger than life version of themselves

Thought the lip sync was amazing and one of the best ever. I definitely don’t think Brooke deserved to be there after that runway which was amazing but glad we got to see her and Yvie slay

ameraal likes this.
  14. cwej

cwej User

This was my first thought. But for me, that Ruveal should have been enough to balance out her dreadful Celine. She definitely is better than Vanjie. It definitely seems that Michelle is the only one who is offended by those bloody outfits that she wears week in, week out.

Sorry but Silky absolutely slayed. She was great in Snatch, she was even brilliant in the mini-challenge. And yes, she got a bad edit, but some of it seems really intentional - they kept flashing to her face every time anyone else got a compliment and it just seemed to be building her up for a fall later.

Shuga Cain is so much more blah than anyone else there. I do get that objectively she was probably 3rd place this week - and maybe even 2nd if you take runway looks into account - but she is so unmemorable in every way for some reason. She's actually getting a similar edit to Naomi Smalls in All Stars 4 though, so maybe she'll surprise and sneak through to the final four?

Overall rankings (based on a combination of how good I think they are and how much I like them)

1. Brooke Lynn
    2. Silky
    3. Yvie
    4. Nina
    5. Vanjie
    6. A'keria
    7. Plastique
    8. Shuga Cain

15. Suedey

The MINUTE Ru said "Vanjie, you're safe" I knew it was going to be a double save.

It's almost X-Factor level of predictability at this point.

Dark Carnival likes this.
  16. Suedey

Saving Vanjie was clearly engineered to create a moment with that lipsync.

17. cwej

cwej User

Yeah - I mean by a mile I'd say the 2 favourites for the title are Brooke Lynn and Yvie, so it makes for great drama... except it doesn't, because it's so predictable.

18. Suedey

1. Brooke Lynn
    2. A'Keria
    3. Shuga
    4. Yvie
    5. Nina
    6. Plastique
    7. Vanjie
    8. Silky

19. cwej

cwej User

Yes - but in the entire 8 episodes, only Michelle has ever mentioned Vanjie's frankly lazy runway looks. She's like a broken record, but it's really taking the piss.

Suedey likes this.
  20. Suedey

Absolutely. She's the only one that's actually saying what we are all thinking. She should have been eliminated 3 episodes ago. Then again this is such a weak series I've been thinking to myself that they need to forward to the inevitable Yvie/Brooke Lyn/Silky + 1 wildcard Top 4 already....

21. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I don't agree with that at all, I'm loving this series. Everyone left has something to give and all have received a mixture of praise and criticism so it's a lot more exciting than having an obvious frontrunner. But equally it's frustrating for the same reasons, because every single one of them has now been exposed for something or other. We're going to end up with a flawed winner for sure but I don't mind as we've had worse and I like most of them left.

22. Raining On Me

The favourites bombings in snatch game bothers me though because that always feels like the challenge where any potential winner needs to step the fuck up.

Poor Brooke :( We actually had it on mute for awhile after being rudely interrupted and her Celine look and mannerisms were quite on point when you watch that way. Just a shame about everything coming out of her mouth.

I felt for Yvie too but she just painted Whoopi in such a negative light it was never going to work.

Naturally I barely knew half the celebrities but Shuga made me laugh and Silky killed it. Absolutely still being herself but better that than taking a risk and fucking up entirely. A bit weird that Plastique is being read for playing the same thing but nothing is aimed at Silky. Anyway Silky made me laugh in both challenges and the jokes where there so at least she's playing to her strengths.

What a lip sync though :disco: Brooke was unbelievable looking. Still the most obvious double save in the show's history.

23. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

I lived for Brooke doing backwards splits and checking her nails

24. cwej

cwej User

I was going to say this. I struggle with a Drag Race winner that does a shit Snatch Game - for me, it's an essential.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  25. Suedey

Who else has done a shit Snatch Game apart from Trixie in AS3 and Violet in hers?

26. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Shit snatch game. I see why Silky won but she's still trash. The lipsync was an obvious double shantay, but a deserved one. At this point I find it really really hard to picture anyone other than Brooke as the winner.

SDF and Suedey like this.
  27. Treacle

Treacle User

Silky winning for being herself was a choice but as annoying as she may be, I wonder where the energy would come from in the work room/talking heads if she were gone. That’s got to be why Vanjie is still around, too.

I assume Nina was competent in doing whatever those characters were but she always looks like hell on the main stage. I guess that never stopped Jinx but she had that Rolaskatox story arc, too.

Someone should have gone, really. Being extra bad at Snatch Game is unforgivable. It’s worse than taking your wig off during a lip sync.

28. VoR

Yeah, as good as the lip sync was it would've really shaken things up to lose a front runner now. The show is becoming too risk averse.

29. VoR

Makes me wonder, what's the worst Snatch Game performance by an ultimate season winner?

I guess it'd be Tyra's Beyonce, which was very poor. Violet's Alyssa was pretty boring too.

30. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

But you don’t want to lose the good queens now, remember when we lost Monique last year and the show just deflated.

Beryl and Chlammy like this.
  31. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Not remotely :D

32. Suedey

No. Not really.

*shade rattle noise*

33. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I thought we did all start whingeing about how Season 10 lost steam towards the end with the biggest characters gone in the middle of its run?

34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Season 10 lost its steam for me when they had the double save, then cracker going out in that awwwwful self help saboteur episode, THEN a week off

Chlammy likes this.
  35. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

Phoenix is completely right. Most seasons lose steam in the end when the conflict dies down but Season 10 was something else. The first half was great, the second half was dull dull dull. I don't know if there have been worse Drag Race episodes than the Breast World and inner saboteur ones, outside of AS1.

This season has sort of been the opposite. The start was good too, but they've filtered out a lot of the less charismatic ones and it's getting more exciting. It's reminding me of the S456 glory days when we lost the LeShauns and Alisas and Jade Jolies and were left with a bunch of really strong queens.

36. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh I haven’t done my long post this one yet

37. VoR

Shuga Cain's micro-feud with Aquaria is making me chuckle today. It's quite a feat of humourlessness on Aquaria's part. (Read down the thread for responses - basically Aquaria takes this obvious joke super seriously and continues to double down after being roundly mocked).

38. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ok crap snatch game, but I think these days it’s hard to get really gagged unless it’s someone really funny.

Silky is hardly the first to get through on playing herself (Eureka, Shangela etc), but her talking heads were very déclassé. At least the villain edit is in full force, when are we expecting that to bear fruit? Her runways are alright, but I’m just sick of her and her tiddiezz now.

Yvie turned it in the lip sync, and I liked her wigs. But she’s half good half vile. I hate her “I’m just being honest” justification for her tone deaf comments, and her sob story bits of “everyone hates me because I’m different”. They probably hate you because you’re such hard work

Brooke was crap but what a comeback! I like her a lot. That reveal and blonde wig... it was like Pandora Box v4.0

Vanjie was lucky to escape, I guess they wanted to keep her from inevitable death against either of the other two.

Plastique was funny, I don’t get the no personality comments, she’s made me laugh almost every episode, more than I can say for Nina West. I guess we will conveniently get more “one silhouette” comments forgetting this week (or other weeks) with the legging thing. She’s never not looked great

Nina was better this week (not hard) but she’s a bit of a hotchpotch... I guess she will be better in All Stars

Akeria got a bit lost, but I like her world weary taking heads

Shuga was funny this week, and I didn’t particularly gag over the dress but I’m glad people did. I wonder why the producers hate her.

39. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh and yes of course, most obvious double save ever but as Darkie said, totally deserved too.

That said, both of them in the bottom 3 was totally justified, so the mercy to Vanjie was the only real tomfoolery at work I think

40. Raining On Me

IS it? It's kind of a timeless sort of comedy doing caricature impersonations but I'm forever stunned at how many fuck it up. Especially now, you've had YEARS to study this show and know what's expected but you still can barely fathom who to do right before the event? How is that even possible? Someone like Brooke who seems intelligent, even if admitting comedy isn't her strength, could surely have practised somebody over the years to a passable level? It's bizarre.

To be fair I don't think snatch game is any worse these days, as awful as that one was. There are plenty of dire examples from every season.