S11 E08: Snatch Game at Sea

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Phoenix, Apr 19, 2019.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I don't think it was THAT bad - but unfortunately it didn't have any standouts in a positive way either, so it will probably go down as one of the worst.

I really am keen to see how it goes in DRUK and we get crappy impressions of local celebs I've never heard of, rather than international ones.

2. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

God surely not. I struggle with the main one enough and feel happy when I know 3 or 4 of them, I would be furious if I didn't know at least 75% in the UK version. But then I dread to think...:zombie:

Hopefully Gemma Collins and Lorraine Kelly is as obscure as it gets.

3. lolly

I am hopeful that Snatch Game (I mean I assume we'll have it) could be fantastic on the UK version, considering it seems to play to the strengths of UK queens more.

And hopefully they won't be TOO obscure - surely the will want Ru to know who they are. Although admittedly that's probably already pushing it in the US version on some occasions.

4. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I’d hope that we’re all going to be able to recognise 100% of the DRUK Snatch Game impersonations, unless someone arty and knowing serves up Nico or some such :weed:

Actually Billie Ray Martin would be a fantastic one if obviously highly unlikely given that she’s rather niche. Constantly sitting there moaning, making endless attempts to flog the merch and getting out her begging bowl for the CATS :disco:

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yeah you’re right, I’m not sure exactly what I mean. I mean there’s plenty of edit fuckery, but there always was (watching a supercut of the roasts reminded me of some real stitch-ups)

I guess it didn’t help that the ones that did well I had no idea about. I’m sure Ts Madison is all good but it was just “black girl yelling”.

Shuga and Plastique got it for me, they took characters I don’t really know and just made it comedic with some OTT makeup and accents, which is what Ru wanted isn’t it? I guess I’m always thinking “what the hell do they want with these two?”. Any other season’s Plastique would have been some dull model and tanked.

6. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I thought it was all a bit pedestrian this week, until it got to Brook's incredible ru-veal. I replayed it three times before carrying on with the episode. I thought Ru was going to have a CORONARY :disco:

It felt like they were setting up a Vanjie - Brook lipsync (for the DRAMZ obviously) actually, so it was a bit of a surprise to see them step back from the maybe too obvious pairing. Fabulous stuff in the end of course.

I fear Vanjie is not long for this season and she clearly knows it but still clacks out there in a leotard just to trigger Visage :D

Chlammy and Zu-Klara like this.
  7. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

CLACKS :D

EXACTLY the right word to describe the Vanjie gait!

8. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

I do think you needed to play the Brooke reveal three times to let it really sink in

Christian likes this.
  9. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Speaking of gaits, Wtf did Nina learn from Alyssa? I feel like she’s doing Yvie’s T-Rex walk

10. lolly

There's a fair bit to like about Nina. But I don't get how she can have been doing drag for nearly twenty years yet still be so ropey in some areas.

Diddy likes this.
  11. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

Brooke was in a different league to Yvie, not least when the one with health problems that rarely get mentioned started copying her, but without any connection to the song. Like Michelle leaving her spinning class, I could smell the double decision a mile off.

After an insufferable start, I'm enjoying Silkie a lot, but wouldn't go as far as actually liking her. Whatever the result, a lip sync between her and the drag Dhalsim will be another iconic moment for this highly decent series.

I think I actively loathe fag hag barnicle Michelle as much as I did Santino.

12. cwej

cwej User

That's exactly why they DID go for Brooke and Yvie I think - THAT was the real maximum drama as they've probably been the two strongest contestants overall up to this point. The drama of 'lovers' Vanjie and Brooke lip syncing was never going to beat the drama of the two favourites going head to head.

ameraal likes this.
  13. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:disco: QUITE!

14. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I can't say that I feel like I'm really missing out on anything good by giving this season a wide berth...

Apart from the CLACKING perhaps

15. lolly

Plus (although I think this is probably secondary) it very much allowed them to cement Silky as a competitor for them. It's pretty much impossible to imagine the winner not coming from that group right now.

I also wonder if that's why Shuga didn't get the win, because I do think she deserved it over Silky.

16. cwej

cwej User

Nah, Silky deserved it for me. Shuga was ok, but still radiated about 10% of the personality that Silky does for me.

17. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

This. Silky may have been playing herself but she was the clear standout in the challenge. Shuga had a phenomenal runway but she didn’t come close to deserving the win...

18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

You’re not watching? i think reading the reaction thread isn’t that wide a berth :D

Just watch it you contrary sausage!

19. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Also :D at “Drag Dhalsim”

20. Ag

Ag User

I'd say it's the best season for a while!

Chlammy and lolly like this.
  21. lolly

I agree. The casting feels fresher, quite a few queens are serving it in various ways, and Mother herself seems to have stepped it up in terms of her involvement and engagement as well.

I fancy the challenges may seem a little less banal than they had slipped into being as well, but I'll have to think more about that. It may just feel like it because of the other reasons.

Chlammy likes this.
  22. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I think our dear sister @Zu-Klara is watching it all, along with Drag race Thailand.

She keeps taking extended breaks from Moopy because she gets stuck doing the jump-splits sometimes on account of her gammy leg

23. Sheena

It is the best season for a while for me too. No obvious front runner and there’s still potential for a story arc from some of the back of the field, albeit that at the moment there’s a clear top three, but who all represent very different types of drag. But then I don’t expect every Tom, DICK and Harry to get that...

Chlammy likes this.
  24. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

It is a good season due to the line up but I do feel we are starting to suffer from fatigue in the format of the show. It really hasn’t changed much in years and I don’t think it’s the must watch show it used to be.

25. Sheena

I don’t get this at all. And when they’ve tried to change it up (hello AllStars), it’s failed...

26. Sheena

And you have to remember loads of people are still finding it now- it’s more mainstream than ever. Those people won’t have fatigue yet at all...

27. Iguana

I'm not sure what they're building to with Plastique. Lots of whispers about her faking her past, but where is it leading?

28. Iguana

Definitely. A straight 24 yo guy at my work has just started watching. He asked me what day it airs because he's upset that he's got to the last episode that's aired so far.

29. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Of course the newbies won’t have fatigue. They haven’t been watching for 11 years.

It’s obvious even on here that the chat is not there as much this year as it has been previously. But most of us have been watching for a while. It’s great that it’s still getting new fans though as it will be good for the longevity of the show.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love the show but I’m no longer dying for it to come out each week. I think the fact All Stars was on just before doesn’t help. They’d be better off spacing it out more.

I’ll be interested to see how the UK show does. I expect it to be a bit more gritty than the US version. The UK version of Top Model was quite different to the US one, and the drama wasn’t as contrived.

30. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

i'm struggling to remember a single gaggy moment from this season. it really hasn't been great if the brooke reveal is it. i mean wtf was she even wearing?

i 1000% prefer all stars at this point despite its flaws competition wise.

31. Sheena

That's the reason. It's not the show's format.

32. lolly

I imagine DRUK will be starting no later than summer, as well.