S11 E09: L.A.D.P.

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by VoR, Apr 25, 2019.

1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

The (increasingly mediocre) library is OPEN

Actual screen time + getting paired with Silky in an improv challenge makes me fear the end is nigh for Shuga Cain.

2. wurst

wurst User

Talking of mediocre: THANK GOD FOR THAT!

3. VoR

Shuga truly has the survival skills of the Borg. I hope she wins now. :D She is killing the runway consistently, aside from that one notable blip, and I think she did as well as she was realistically going to when competing for airtime with Hurricane Silky.

Silky was great in the challenge, if domineering. Her best and worst qualities really are the same thing - her utter self belief. In the acting challenges it makes her appear very natural and relaxed because she seems to have no self doubt whatsoever. However in the workroom it's reading as terribly arrogant. Even Ru seemed pissed off at her this week when she steamrolled the Library mini-challenge.

A'keria was very good but I can't say she really made me laugh. I think Silky's incredibly lazy runway game is the main reason A'keria was picked to win this week.

Poor Nina was robbed of a place in the top 3, and I know I'm in the minority but I'd much rather have seen her naked than Brooke. :evil:

Vanjie and Platique's improv was a complete embarrassment. I was convinced when they announced they were judging individually that it was another way to spare Vanjie yet again and kick Shuga out, but it was the only realistic bottom 2 with everything taken into account. The moment for Vanjie to emerge as a competitor really seems to have passed at this point - she's a delightful presence but a huge letdown as a competitor. I didn't even like the runway much - I'm sure I've seen something very similar on another queen quite recently.

Yvie was... there, I guess. A rare low profile week for her. I liked Nina's little pep talk to her in Untucked, it felt very gracious and sincere, and thankfully Yvie took it well.

Penelope likes this.
  4. ameraal

ameraal trash

bank holiday today which totally made me forget this was on. watching now. that library needs to be closed for good. if those are the reads that made the cut...

i had to write halfway through cause i love how rupaul just said "so another improv storyline" to brooke.

ps i can't stand silky drag queen equivalent of a fart joke ganache.

5. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Plastique should have stayed.

6. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I mean actually they should have had a triple elimination of the bottom 3 ...

cwej likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Plastique has run her course, how many times do we need to hear her “real” accent or see another safe runway?

8. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

It was another good episode.

Plastique was good but she still has a way to go. I kind of buy the accent thing too. If she moved over when she was 12 or 13 or whatever I can completely see that she might have adapted a western accent to fit in.

9. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Vanjie has exit just before the final written all over her. She's followed Miz Cracker's trajectory (strong start, never quite getting the win despite peaking early, not winning becoming a thing, getting caught up in her own head, doubling down on her strength but the cracks start showing and it becomes off-putting) almost to the beat. She's going to get a consolation victory to tie up her narrative and be out the week after.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Diddy and cwej like this.
  10. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

Akeria was really standout good - and not just good because she’s otherwise very flat. She was good good.

The bottom two were so far below it’s saying something because I’ll be honest not one of those queens raised a smile from me never mind a laugh.

The actual actors there weren’t even funny so it was just a bust to be honest.

Chlammy likes this.
  11. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I was really happy to see Akeria get the win over Brook. It was a well deserved win. Nina totally deserved to be in the top 3 as well. Her performance wasn’t as show stealing but she played a great supporting role (something Silky could learn a thing or two about). I’m glad Michelle called out Nina in Brook’s comments.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  12. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Oh and I was with Michelle on Vanjie’s runway. It was terribly ill fitting.

13. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

The lack of chest didn't bother me. But fucking stirrup pants?

14. lolly

And I'm sorry, but can someone correct the thread title? It's irritating me.

15. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

1. Akeria
    2. Nina
    3. Brook Lynn
    4. Silky
    5. Yvie
    6. Vanjie
    7. Shuga

16. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I think Nina was unlucky not to be top 3- that runway was amazing, I thought. Shuga “won” the runway for me again for the second week in a row, though, and was by far the obvious top of the bottom three. Definitely the right bottom two and glad Plastique has gone, who I was bored of.

First week I didn’t notice Yvie at all, interestingly...

17. lolly

Yes, I was disappointed Nina was safe, because that runway deserved a critique.

18. Treacle

Treacle User

I don’t understand how the reading challenge can go so poorly. Even if you’re not great at off the cuff reading, you have weeks to get the measure of people around you and come up with something.

Silky’s made me feel tired. I wish Vanjie and Plastique had been better as then at least Ru could have taken the opportunity to knock Silky down a peg or two. There wasn’t the chance to do that when she was so obviously safe.

Beverley likes this.
  19. cwej

cwej User

A very odd episode for me.

Agreed with Treacle on the reading challenge. It was really really poor from all 8 of them to be honest considering the time they have to be getting reads ready. Other seasons have been much stronger.

For the main challenge, I thought Silky and A'keria were the top 2 by a considerable distance. Both of them owned their scenes, both of them gave 100% and they were the only two to make me laugh at all. In both cases, it wasn't wit, it was physical comedy that got the laughs, but they completely went for it. I agree with A'keria getting the win because Silky's runway was one of the worst I've ever seen.

I think at this point I'm absolutely convinced that Brook Lynn has the win under her belt, because if they are going to praise THAT mediocre performance, then they're trying to make us feel like she really is an all-rounder. They really did miss a trick with the roles that way round. Brook Lynn was definitely being a bit shady trying to get that role as it would have been much more interesting with Nina in it - Brook wasn't scared of the other role, she just wanted the showier part.

Nina and Yvie fairly forgettable.

As for the other 3: just dreadful. A triple elimination would have been great. At least Shuga had a good runway (and Plastique to an extent). But in the challenge she was so useless, and Plastique and Vanjie's felt made up by a 5 year old. Vanjie getting praise for not doing a swimsuit, when... er.... the whole runway needed to be covered head to toe, so she was effectively forced out of a swimsuit anyway? Ridiculous.

I actually wish Plastique had just gone for the Asian accent again. To me it's perfectly acceptable to keep going for similar characters (hello Silky) as long as you fucking own them - and that is when Plastique has performed at her best. As for Michelle preaching 'Asian Pride and Asian stereotype' are different things - it's not her fucking place to say that. If Plastique wants to do it she can - she's Asian, that's part of what you get as a right when you're a minority.

And the lipsync was DREADFUL from both. I'd say that Plastique actually beat Vanjie who just twirled that stupid thing around a bit and that's it. But it was obvious they'd keep Vanjie over her.

EPISODE RANKING:
    1. A'keria
    2. Silky
    3. Nina
    4. Yvie
    5. Brook Lynn
    6. Shuga
    7. Plastique
    8. Vanjie

OVERALL RANKING OF REMAINING CONTESTANTS:
    1. Silky - she genuinely makes me laugh every week. I know she's a huge hate figure and I can see why, but I enjoy almost every moment she's on screen.
    2. Brook Lynn
    3. A'keria
    4. Yvie
    5. Nina
    6. Vanjie

7. Shuga

20. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

@cwej going against the grain again

Nina forgettable indeed :angry:

21. cwej

cwej User

Well that's why she was ranked 'safe'. She should have had the other part cos she's by far the better actress over Brook Lynn.

22. COB

COB Pissbaby

I agree that Michelle explaining what is and isn't appropriate conduct for an Asian queen to Plastique felt... uncomfortable. It mainly made me wish Plastique had a streak of Gia Gunn cuntiness in her to snap back with something on stage. What privilege!

Diddy likes this.
  23. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I genuinely think this was one of the worst episodes ever.

24. Sheena

Both the Snatch Game and reading challenges have been properly rubbish- which says a lot about a lot of these queens...

25. lolly

I agree with cwej in terms of how Brooke Lynn has be presented in a way to justify a win. And I think Silky has now moved above Yvie as the realistic second favourite.

26. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I think the challenges have actually been a lot better than some of the ones we’ve seen recently.

I also think a lot of these girls are turning it out on the runway. Brook and Shuga in particular have had some memorable looks.

27. Sheena

Thing is, the last All Stars shows even RU doesn't know who is going to win- it also goes along with fan reaction. Monet was only made joint winner because the whole world noted it was an all black top whatever it was bar Trinity and a Trinity win would have looked a bit, well, WRONG...

28. Ag

Ag User

According to my points based ranking:

=1 Brooke Lynn Hytes
    =1 Silky Nutmeg Ganache
    3 Yvie Oddly
    4 A'Keria C. Davenport
    5 Nina West
    6 Shuga Cain
    7 Vanessa Vanjie Mateo

29. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Silky is getting a villain edit, so she’s probably in the top 4 but I would place her third after Brook and Eyvie. Akeria 4th.

30. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Villain edit or not, Silky is trash.

Alex and SDF like this.
  31. lolly

Seeing Silky plonked on that couch in Untucked this week is all the proof I need that she isn't a winner.

I've not seen lack of poise like it since Phi Phi and that stool.

32. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Silky IS funny but it's all very much the SAME character she plays, and she is so unlikeable.

Poor Vanjie. I LOVE her but I think she's still not polished enough yet for this, but she is endearing. It's a shame that she can't bring what she does to the talking heads to the challenges.

The top 5 is pretty clear I think - Vanjie and Shuga will likely go next, and I think Nina will miss out on the top 4, leaving us with Brooke, Silky, Akeria and Yvie. At this point I'd say the crown is Brooke's which would be deserved, I guess.

33. VoR

One thing that annoys me (not this week) is that they keep showing Michelle critiquing Vanjie for the same old same old swimsuit silhouette, and they obviously cut her response. They just show her making the same startled haddock face but not saying anything. There's obviously a reason for it - A'keria alluded to the fact that Vanjie was limited by her pre-selected wardrobe due to the fact she can't sew. So why did she ONLY bring swimsuits? I'd love to hear her justifying it, or at least explaining it. She's obviously not in denial about it.

34. Treacle

Treacle User

The best thing about the challenge was probably Ru as the call handler.

35. cwej

cwej User

I agree. Though right back in Season 2 I'd never have called a Tyra win with the edit she was getting, so I'd love a shock victory for Silky tbh. :D

36. lolly

Part of me wants Silky to win, because at least that way I won't have to endure her on AS5 or 6.

Suedey and Iguana like this.
  37. Alla

Alla ®

It would be impossible to give Tyra another edit, given how awful and lazy that bitch was.

Am I the only one who loves Nina and think that she deserves a place in the F4?

38. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I like her and she’s the most articulate but she really hasn’t proven herself. The snatch game was alright and the reading was a disaster.

You can’t be a comedy queen and fail at the library.

Diddy likes this.
  39. cwej

cwej User

I have an issue with Nina's face and strange voice.

40. Alla

Alla ®

Not worse than Vanjie"s voice, which I find so annoying.