S11E10: Dragracadabra

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by VoR, May 2, 2019.

1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

This one looks like it might be fun!

Why on earth would you be given a magic/performance challenge and *not* pick the best entertainer (Nina) or the most physically agile performer (Brooklyn)? If Vanjie goes down this week she'll deserve it, sadly.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I really enjoyed the episode, the mini challenge was fun, the main challenge was a hoot and a good lip sync song even if they started it halfway through and it felt wonky.

So glad that Nina managed to grab a win, she’s such a great performer.

3. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Nina West was PHENOMENAL. She's such a comedy PRO. And I love that she's a sweetheart too. The best 'big girl' that's ever been on the show. Even better than Ginger Minj.

My favorite is still A'keria though. Poor week for her but I love her attitude.

I mean we all knew Suga was gonna go. She became forgettable about 3 weeks ago.

Vanjie seriously needs to go. She's a one trick pony and it's getting annoying. Even if she is likeable.

4. Superstylin'

Superstylin' User

What the actual fuck at that elimination! .. she may not have shone in comparison to Nina or Brooke but she was much better than any of them on other team.

5. VoR

Yeah, Shuga's exit felt very forced. I mean fair enough, she hasn't shone as bright as the rest, but on this challenge she was clearly superior to anyone on the other team.

6. Alla

Alla ®

Nina was FANTASTIC.

7. VoR

Yeah, she's back in contention for sure. That was a GREAT performance.

8. Alla

Alla ®

Because it was her only chance to stand out, they judge them individually. She's basically shit.

9. jyxz

jyxz User

A’keria was safe....? While not wearing a kaftan

10. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

It was weird- I don’t even think Vanjie should have been bottom two. A’keria for sure and either Shuga or Silky.

Anyhoo, the right person overall left. So glad Nina won- she was properly good. The second magic show wasn’t actually terrible, it just packed into insignificance to the first, which surely was Nina’s doing. Absolutely top work. She’s right back in the game now.

Interestingly, the lip-sync was the first time Vanjie has properly shone.

11. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

Nina was so good.

I agree that it was them forcing Shuga out in the name of good television. Vanjie and Yvie were blatantly the worst. But if it means a more compelling final few episodes then I don't mind.

Nina in the finale would be lovely. I'd love it if each had to present a show based around their own talents and production in the finale instead of the standard lip sync knockout.

Nina vs Akeria vs Brook Lynn vs Silky or Yvie would be great.

12. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Wish we’d seen Silky doing that song in the lip sync

cwej likes this.
  13. jyxz

jyxz User

I got SO much more from Shuga on 15 minutes of Whatcha Packin than from the whole of the regular series.

14. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Shuga was absolutely not one of the worst two this episode. But in the context of the season you can see why it was her time to go this episode or the next one anyway. Nina was easily the best, the whole team was actually good.

15. Dark Carnival

The challenge was indeed one of the best we've had this season. But I still don't care about who makes it to the final four. If it came down to it, Brooke has the most star quality like the judges have said.

16. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Yay for Nina

I loved her performance so much and was really glad she got to shine

MAGIC is the new Club 96 :disco:

Brooke was also brilliant. She is one of the best they’ve ever had on the runway. She just knows how to sell it.

17. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I agree with Shee in that the lip sync was the first time I felt Vanjie shone. But I disagree in that I felt she absolutely deserved to be there. And I'm really beginning to resent her continued presence. It feels to me that she really has shown so little beyond a personality.

She's the obvious candidate to leave next week, but I agree with whoever it was last week who said that she's likely to have a moment of rudemption before getting the boot.

18. Ag

Ag User

Vanjie lip sync was very good.

Nina deserved to win.

Shuga's interview with Michelle was lovely.

19. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

What I want to know is why Vanjie gets critiqued for only being Vanjie, but Silky never gets critiqued for only being Silky?

Diddy, Alla, Alex and 2 others like this.
  20. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

Silky seems confident in all the challenges and makes it work. Vanjie has had moments but just looked uncomfortable this week and during snatch game.

21. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

There's a website goldderby.com which has betting (I think only points, not cash), and it has these odds now

16/5 Brooke Lynn
    9/2 Akeria, Yvie
    5/1 Silky
    6/1 Nina
    12/1 Vanjie

Yvie really feels like she's drifted the last few episodes for me. I think she'd be the most likely 'shock' exit next week.

22. Dark Carnival

Yvie has definitely lost the momentum he had, I'd probably even place her behind Silky now.

23. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Silky is still my least favourite overall but even I couldn’t find fault in her runway look this week

24. wurst

wurst User

I love that they could barely even be bothered to give a reason for Shuga's random elimination other than it seemed like they'd forgotten to eliminate her weeks previously :D

I've seen a few fans outraged about it online, but in my opinion she didn't bring ANYTHING to the competition aside from expensive bought-in runways, happy to see the back of her tbh.

Struggling to care about any of them left aside from A'Keria (who still needs to bring it harder). Brooke FTW I guess. I'm sure they'd want Yvie and Silky back on the same All Stars season for the drama, so it's Brooke's to lose now really.

25. cwej

cwej User

Wow that was a brilliant episode. I thought both magic shows were actually great, but the first one was astonishingly good - so slick, the jokes were actually there and every time Nina said 'magic' I was laughing out loud. Nina's performance was one of the singular best I've seen in 11 seasons of Drag Race and I've not really been her biggest fan before this episode.

Shuga absolutely shouldn't have been bottom 2 - in fact, I genuinely thought she was better than Brook in that challenge and should have been second place overall in the rankings, though both were a long way off Nina's masterful performance.

As for the other team - I thought they actually weren't bad, but I thought Yvie and Vanjie were the rightful bottom 2. Not sure Yvie did anything notable at all.

On the: 'Why does Vanjie get told off for being Vanjie but Silky doesn't for being Silky'... I think there is a huge gulf between the level of wit and charisma that Silky brings to the stage compared to what Vanjie brings. I can see why people think of Silky as a one trick pony, but I honestly don't mind a one trick pony if they're great at what they do, which Silky really is. They need to stop using the 'Vanjie is being Vanjie' card and just be honest and say it's 'Vanjie really isn't that talented at anything: runway looks, acting, comedy on stage, lip syncing (though she brought it this time for the first time really) etc... She IS however, brilliant as a talking head. I'm unsure why she's unable to bring that humour in her talking heads to the stage and her performances.

ON THIS EPISODE:

1. Nina
    2. Shuga
    3. Brook
    4. Silky
    5. A'keria
    6. Vanjie
    7. Yvie

ON OVERALL PERFORMANCE:

1. Silky
    2. Brook
    3. Nina
    4. A'keria
    5. Yvie
    6. Vanjie

Yes yes I know, I'm sorry that I like Silky before you all moan again.

26. Ag

Ag User

God I love Jinkx

SDF likes this.
  27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

That was quite fun until the second magic show!

Poor Shuga thrown under the bus of narrative convenience. She lost that lip sync - Vanjie was surprisingly great, nipple aside - but she shouldn’t have been in the bottom 2 anyway. I guess they just didn’t want to lose any of the garbage team so couldn’t put 2 of them at the bottom. Weak!

Brooke should win, even though I don’t particularly love her, it just seems like the sensible choice. I’m glad Nina won, and that her runway was really nice (except that mug).

I like Shuga, but I guess there was no way for her to win and the producers really did her dirty in this and every episode, just edited to irrelevance.

The other team were all shit, but Silky’s been very sparing with her charisma, she’s a rotten cunt most of the other time, but the challenges were good. Akeria’s deadpab reaction to the sword swallowing :D Yvie can’t even get the alpha villain edit anymore, as someone said, she’s lost her momentum, she been pretty absent since the lip sync.

I miss Plastique, I hope she gets to come back next week FOR REAL.

1. Brooke I guess
    2. Nina, foof really?
    3. Akeria
    4. Vanjie
    5. Yvie
    6. Silky

Shit, these are who we have left? I pray that we get some good perfs next week to justify this situation

ameraal likes this.
  28. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I got a glimpse of Eyvie on the weekend at a meet and greet and she’s very tall. Her set was also interesting, she did Beyonce’s Haunted and Circle of Life.