S11E14 Grand Final

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Phoenix, May 31, 2019.

1. cwej

cwej User

Yes.

This is 100% how it works:

Two of them are chosen for Bootylicious, two for SOS in advance. (My only question is whether THAT is done randomly or decided by the producers).

One name is spun.

They are given no choice who their opponent is - it has to be the other person in the pair that rehearsed for their given song.

They know in advance which song is in which numbered box.

This is so obvious to me. The only thing that is genuinely random is the spin at the beginning, then everything else is pre-decided. If they wanted to make it truly random, they'd just spin the spinner twice.

2. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

They don't rehearse for just one given song - all four of them are told what all three songs are. Sasha Velour has said in interviews that she had a routine prepared for Stronger (and one which absolutely wouldn't have gone down as well as her So Emotional one :D) as well if she got that box.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. cwej

cwej User

I would be so shocked if that were really true. They have a party line to tow in interviews.

I don't believe that Silky would choose Brooke. And no-one ever seems to take the weakest lip-syncer to go up against since they've done it this way.

4. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Who would've been the weakest lip-syncer for Silky to choose?

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

The queens wouldn’t need to know which box is which, they could just put Bootylicious in both boxes

Alla likes this.
  6. Alla

Alla ®

That's what I thought.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Ooh the tinfoil hats are out

Dark Carnival likes this.
  8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

They’re still good to use, I think this is an identical conversation as last year.

I don’t know why it’s such a big deal anyway.

There are only three combinations for the first lip sync, and two of them were always going to be used at some stage. In fact Silky/Brooke seemed like the least likely for Silky or the producers to choose

9. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I think Silky would have thought Yvie was the strongest lip syncer and also wouldn’t want to lose to her. I can also entirely see that she thought Bootylicious would be least suited to poised, white woman Brooke over A’Keria.

Still, I don’t really care anyway

Beverley likes this.
  10. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Sitting through a whole series and then moaning about the finale being too manufactured seems a little futile to me.

Suedey, Diddy, Ag and 1 other person like this.
  11. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

We need Alan Deddicoat to officiate next time

12. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh no hang on, who was the guy with the gloves on the lottery?

13. Ag

Ag User

Papa Lazarou

14. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yes that’s the blighter

15. Alla

Alla ®

The song was chosen after she picked Brooke. Not that I believe anything anyway.

16. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

The idea of them not really knowing which song to perform to beforehand is too stressful for me to accept.

17. Ag

Ag User

For a second when I saw SOS I thought they were gonna drop ABBA.

ameraal likes this.
  18. Penelope

*gasp*

19. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I literally shouted ABBA. :D

I was a bit disappointed tbh

20. Sheena

They should just make it Whitney EVERY YEAR

21. Penelope

The finale lip sync choices were SO UNINSPIRED this year! Was there really not a LUDICROUS GAY REMIX from the 90s they couldn't have had in lieu of Bootylicious?

22. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

SOS as a lip sync song was laughable for a final, even Rihanna herself has about 10 better choices.

It was boring to be honest. I've enjoyed this series but I would like to actually have a proper standout winner for once. Presumably if we ever get a runaway winner of Bianca style calibre again (lol) the lip sync battles will be abolished. At the moment they feel engineered for finals where nobody cares who wins or where it could be anyone's.

I don't need to see this show again for at least 6 months but that ain't happening :gross:

23. Alla

Alla ®

Are they filming already another season?? Tell me they're not. :argh:

24. Raining On Me

Yes and what WONDERFUL additions to the drag race hall of fame that grotesque quartet is :D

I mean, Monet's alright, but I'd take Yvie over the lot of them.

If anything that proves the Snatch Game point - bombing it means you're very likely an under par Queen who doesn't deserve the win and if you do, you end up on a podium with that ensemble.

That's why I was gutted for both Yvie and Brooke that episode as it became apparent they weren't that strong despite both being good in different ways.

A Nina win would have been more satisfying for everyone.

SDF likes this.
  25. Raining On Me

Well All Stars 25 is out this autumn isn't it? Plus the UK one.

I will obviously watch both and the UK one is needed but by the time Season 12 starts the overkill will be nauseating.

Alla likes this.
  26. Alla

Alla ®

Oh yes the AS, I thought it was another regular season TOO. The UK one on the other hand is very needed and I can't wait for it.

27. Sheena

God, why does everyone have to be so darned MISERABLE. If you don’t want to watch it and you’re so bored of it, hey, here’s an idea- JUST DON’T BOTHER.

Diddy likes this.
  28. Raining On Me

:D

I think we all know we will keep watching. I don't watch THAT much TV so Drag Race still does a job. But Allstars needs a fucking break.

We're allowed a MOAN (or 12)

Beverley likes this.
  29. Sheena

This isn’t actually aimed at you, but all there seems to be is “THIS SERIES IS THE WORST EVER” followed by “WE NEED A BREAK” from CERTAIN quarters.

30. Alla

Alla ®

You're right. I'd like to have a season per year like in the good old days, and no more crap All Stars for a while. But yes, I still watch it, that's why it bothers me, because I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I prefer quality over quantity. But it is what it is, I guess.

31. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

If they just rested All Stars I'd be happy. I thought season 11 was a marked improvement on 10 on the whole.

And I only really want All Stars rested so we get some more actual stars and greater desire to see them build.

SDF likes this.
  32. Sheena

Thing is, if I had choice, I would go for a break now too...but I’d rather have too much than none at all.

Ag likes this.
  33. Alla

Alla ®

Well OBVIOUSLY. And if a successful UK DR means we're getting it in more European countries, I'll be watching all that shit. :D

34. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Resting all stars would certainly help build some prestige around it for future hall of famers

The problem with drag race is it’s a bit like a drug. You know it’s bad for you but unless someone intervenes you’re going to keep going back for more.

35. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I’m more into All Stars, I wish they’d make new ones with already featured queens and with a changed format.

36. Sheena

I do want already featured queens back on All Stars, absolutely...

37. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Or just something like this Werq the World Tour documentary where we get to follow the queens. (I have yet to watch it). Because ultimately, that’s what I’m most interested in, to see them interact and perform.

38. Ag

Ag User

Yes where can we see this?

Obviously I love the main series and all stars, but there's almost unlimited spin off potential.

39. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Seems to be only on Wow, but I’m hoping it would be available for streaming somewhere else.

I’ve become obsessed with most of the webseries and Drag Chaser podcasts and the likes. What I’m not really ready for is new queens.

40. Raining On Me

I still enjoy it a lot but I think it hasn't helped that it feels like it's been a while since a truly GREAT series hit. That and All Stars being a shadow of itself due to nonsense rules and a lot of "meh" contestants watering it down. That's definitely not All Stars, it's just another regular series with people having another go. But clearly the $$$ is rolling in so it's not letting up.

You do wonder if we'll ever get a Series 4/5/6/AS2 ever again.

What irks me the most is how so many queens manage to fuck up familiar tasks despite knowing exactly what the show expects year in year out. I mean, you've had forever to practice runways and comedy skits, how can you get it so wrong? It feels like the quality should be top dollar right now, no matter how much you might be faking it to do so, but it's gone more the other way.

Anyway it's still fun even if it's too much cake for one year.

Beverley likes this.