S12E04: The Ball Ball

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Phoenix, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

What a snooze, the runway felt endless and most of it was uninspiring. I don’t think there was a funny moment or maybe I’m just not in the mood.

Aiden should have been in the bottom but I guess they were tired of Rock who I like but the way she keeps falling apart made me not so sad to see her go.

Is Untucked any good this season? I can’t be bothered but I don’t want to miss anything interesting.

2. Superstylin'

Superstylin' User

Leslie Jones made this episode!! Another snooze fest otherwise.

Sherry getting the relatively invisible edit again. It’s a shame how things have transpired because I think she would be one of the more interesting queens to support.

Shocked at who went home. Really not sure there’s anyone to root for right now other than Gigi.

3. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I reckon it's having the ball so early in the season that makes the runway seem endless. Because yes, there was some shit on there but also some very good looks.

This remains a very likable bunch and I'm ok with this season so far.

4. Dark Carnival

Oh and it was over for Rock the moment she failed to get that thing off, wasn't it? Either way, another messy lipsync :gross:

ameraal likes this.
  5. Chlammy

Chlammy Climb on through my window.

Bullcrap that Rock M. was in the bottom 2 over Aiden.

What a downer so early in the season. They lost a big personality, and her looks were GOOD. Why oh why is it more forgivable for a drag queen to wear something black and white and boring than it is for them to wear something big and ridiculous and colourful?

6. Will

Will User

I disagree - Aiden deserved to be the safe one out of that bottom three. Her League of Their Own look saved her - the other two didn't have any of the three looks to redeem them.

Though I am sad to see Rock go. She was funny, she was very charming, and I am really gonna miss those thighs. I would have much preferred to see Brita go. She would have deserved it this episode, too. And overall I think she's rotten.

ameraal likes this.
  7. Will

Will User

I have to say, I absolutely LOVE how much Aiden is getting under all of the other queens' skin. None of them think she deserves to be there, and the reaction when she was made safe said it all. She's very much the underdog this year.

I hope they keep her around for that very reason. True, she's not the most polished in the fashion stakes - at all. But that face offers up something so different. Every time the camera focuses on it, it's an episode highlight. Particularly in the bee mini-challenge, albeit for the wrong reasons.

8. Chlammy

It feels that they're saving Aiden on the basis of her being zany, when so far she's only been giving that in name, whereas Rock M. was actually a bit off the wall in terms of personality and looks. I suppose there's a built in story with Aiden and Brita too, but it's not EXCITING.

Oh well.

I loved the idea of a Trunchbull look, even if it was just quite good. Gigi and Jaiden looked great. Nikki is lovely in the work room and in talking heads. And Jan is growing on me a lot and probably deserved top three here based on all three looks.

ameraal likes this.
  9. Dark Carnival

Oh I would have rather had Aiden and Brita in the bottom. I'm fine if they both went home next, for different reasons.

ameraal likes this.
  10. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh I LOVED that episode. What a tonic after last week's total disaster.

The runway critiques were some of the funniest ever and it's always a thrill to have a guest judge who just LOVES the show.

Really sad Frack M went home, I could look at him all day long. Now I've only got Jan to oggle at. I did have a feeling getting his big sob story out so early meant he wasn't long for the Rupaul world and boy were those runways shit. Oh well, there's always his Instagram.

Aiden is a rotten competitor and I get zilch from him. Not a laugh, not a lewk, not a single thing.

Penelope and Dark Carnival like this.
  11. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Yeah, I really enjoyed that episode too. Leslie Jones was amazing and it was a good night for the panel overall- I was howling at the critiques. I think “She already done had horses” was my favourite :D Particular praise for Ross too who was top notch.

The runway was long, but fine. Surprised Sherry was safe though- she was pretty terrible throughout, I thought, but I guess earlier weeks helped save her.

I also think they had the right bottom three but Aiden’s A League of Their Own deserved for him to be saved. He is cannon fodder, though- I don’t get much from him either.

Rock M had to go after that awful start to the lip sync and then just doing the splits through it. Brita at least tried to have something else going on and is obviously the better lip-syncer overall. It still amazes me they aren’t ready with tricks, though- I’d have a trick ready for every single outfit I think...

Penelope likes this.
  12. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I really don't understand what they're seeing in Aiden. There's no presence or personality onstage, and she only has the one face. I liked the idea of the League of Their Own look, but her makeup felt like it belonged to an entirely different outfit.

Really sad to lose Rock M so soon, but Brita totally out lip-synced her.

13. Sheena

The make up is shite. They’re keeping her for two obvious reasons- she’s “different” and she’ll cause drama. She’ll be gone soon enough...

14. Dark Carnival

Just finished Untucked. Watch it for Leslie Jones alone, what an amazing woman.

Is Aiden the most miserable drag queen ever? Cheer up love.

15. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Leslie really is an absolute delight. It makes me all the sadder that at one point she was (unjustly) one of the most hated women on the internet. I hope that's died down now.

16. Ag

Ag User

Great episode. Lesley Jones was absolutely everything. Obviously. She lifted the whole panel.

Saving Aiden over Rock is one of those all time great WTF moments. A shame she spent so much time ripping that disaster of a dress off as she could easily have caught up in that lip sync. A lot more 'funny' lip syncs this season. Shame they're not always landing.

17. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Leslie was fantastic, even more so on Untucked where she really shined and was so authentic. Loved her interaction with the miserable Aiden. :D

I will miss Rock M as a boy, she really was cute, but her drag was awful.

Brita is terrible, I hope she realises that soon.

18. Chlammy

Early top 10 rank:

(Rock M)
    1. Heidi
    2. Jaida
    3. Nicky
    4. Widow
    5. Jackie
    6. Jan
    7. Crystal
    8. Gigi
    (Sherri)
    9. Brita
    (Dahlia)
    10. Aiden

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  19. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Rock M deserved to stay. I like Aiden, but feel there's nothing left for her to show us.

As usual, the judging is inconsistent. Leslie was LOIFE

20. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Doesn't Shangela live in Leslie Jones' spare room or have I remembered that entirely wrong? I'm sure she talked about it on one of the podcasts.

21. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

that's a different funny black woman

Phoenix, Penelope, Chlammy and 5 others like this.
  22. Ag

Ag User

Leslie Jones in Untucked.

EVERY

THING.

23. Ag

Ag User

OMG.

24. Dark Carnival

:D!

25. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

26. Sheena

27. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

28. Ag

Ag User

29. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

Jackie's Edie Falco meets Katy Perry is such a season 2 level of drag. I liked her Teen Mom better and got Cher in Mermaids for the final ensemble, but she's arguably coasting right now.

Nicky Doll serving Morgan McMichael's snatch game Pink was a bit meh. Her 2nd look much stronger and I thought was borderline Gigi. I understand that they see potential and want to get more, but to say she has no personality is a bit rich. Her ugh at Michelle won my heart.

Aiden is right about her face pulling things together, but she needs to extend the "exotica" to the ensembles and her influences are a melting pot for inspiration so she doesn't have much of an excuse. She's my favourite to just look at though, but I think this is boosted somewhat by her extreme lack of showcase beyond the face that looks like it's been stapled.

Anyone doing the wrecking ball hair should not be going home. It was tough to watch her drown in that lip sync.

Jaida can be airkiss deluxe, but the first runway was beyond bynumbers.

I'm so mad at Brita. Great first runway, but given how her opponent struggled for so long to rip apart her own outfit (which I don't think she was given enough credit for), I thought it was disrespectful to use it as her own prop, and not once, but twice, deliberately walk in front of her. Really cheap and I'm losing my Latino bulldog daddy fantasy quickly. Lucky for her I'm mostly quite desperate. Ahem.

Crystal was absolutely dire. How she didn't go home I have no idea. And this was supposed to be her challenge?

Jan is a solid flatline 7 and there ought to be a wave goodbye soon if there isn't more to give. Her drag is often so frumpy and unremarkable. Unless the camera pans out to reveal a jockstrap when getting dragged and de-dragged, then he can stay forever.

Heidi could sell ice to eskimos, condoms to Raspberry Swirl, etc. That ball popping had my cheeks sore. I thought her Janice Robinson look was her best make-up yet.

Sherry Pie's shadow edit is probably making her sympathetic. I actually feel sorry for her. I hope she does Bette Midler for Snatch (although that Allison for Snatch game joke someone made is still making me chuckle).

Window's butch Patti LaBelle I could look at all day. Leslie's "horses" quip may have put it in the hall of fame.

Leslie was fantastic, I can't even begrudge her not knowing when to shut up during the lip sync. It probably made me like her even more. The judges were on fire at points, especially when feasting on Gigi's Heathers. And by judges I mean Leslie, Ross and Ru.

Gigi has this in the bag. Her Debi Mazar severity is by far the most put together concept and she sticks to it without repeating herself.

Will, Christian and RaspberrySwirl like this.
  30. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Jenifer Lewis!

31. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Gigi and Heidi for me. They’re both fascinating for different reasons.

I wish we could see more of Sherry, she looks like the perfect villain.

32. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I can't pick a winner yet to be honest. There's no clear front runner for me though Heidi is probably my favourite at this stage of the game.

Sherry getting erased in the edit is an understandable loss but there's enough others to pick up the slack.

Ag likes this.
  33. Alla

Alla 124/ 11124/ 11124/ 123456

Leslie Jones was everything, what a woman :disco: Right now it's Gigi to lose, I think. Heidi still my favourite queen by a mile.

34. Penelope

Penelope DON'T TALK TO ME

Leslie Jones was the best guest judge in YEARS - her Untucked critiques!

Loved Rock M Sakura a lot - that tetherball wig was a HELL of a gag to pull out - but that lip sync was a mess. Who in the year of our Lorde 2020 thinks repeatedly jumping into the splits is impressing anyone? Hate Brita but thank god for a SEASONED PROFESSIONAL to administer a Peppermint-style mercy killing at such hours.

Objectively I'd have probably had Rock M Sakura safe over Aiden Zhane but frankly the near-universal disdain for Aiden among the queens AND the fans feels like enough of a good reason to keep her on for sheer entertaintment alone. Talk about DREADFUL! Sasha Velour minus the looks, the presence, the eye for fashion and the wit - so basically, Sasha Velour if she hadn't been a Fulbright Scholar and stayed in TENNESSEE. Hope she stays in till the final :disco:

Also, all in all what a WONDERFUL season for queens! Love a good half of them now, and even the ones I haven't been all too fussed on so far like Nicky Doll (who feels likely to go far now she's been thrown the softball growth storyline of 'do what you do backstage in the challenges') and Crystal Methyd are showing a bit more RANGE and DEPTH. Now if we could just get rid of Jan that'd be FAB TA

wurst and Will like this.
  35. Sheena

I forgot to mention Heidi- I thought her final outfit was my favourite of the episode

36. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

Anyone have any idea why Aiden has DUNGENESS scrawled on her chest? Is she a fan of Kent power stations?

37. Ag

Ag User

yup

38. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

Might go and get a ROMFORD one myself.

39. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'd like to get behind Aiden, but she gives so little. As others have said though, that first look saged her. I thought all of Rock's looks were poorly executed. I'd still have ditched Brita overall though.

40. Penelope

Penelope DON'T TALK TO ME

Also Aiden has got to have the worst runway walk of any queen in years. She looks like LURCH

VoR and jyxz like this.