Saint Etienne- "So Tough"/"Sound Of Water" Deluxe Editions Announced...

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by Sheena, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Yes, it would appear that the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD HAS GOT IT BAR ME

Which could be one of two things

1. Apparently, if you've forked out ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID on a FUCKING CD, they can't be ARSED to record it on time and so the dedicated song will be "sent out later". There is no word yet if that means I'm going to get "A Glimpse Of Stocking" late TOO :evil:

2. I got an email on Saturday (to work) saying "We're sorry, your payment has failed", then another on Sunday saying "Oh sorry, whoops, no it hasn't, ignore the last email- we'll let you know when we ship your cd". Nothing since.

If I get this two days before christmas after paying £150, I'm going to be FUCKING FURIOUS...

2. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I wish I'd paid attention. I would have ordered the cheapest edition of this. Is £150 your largest cd purchase Shee?

In other news I think 'Tales From Turnpike House' is my favourite album of theirs - I didn't want to say it before because I didn't feel it had been out long enough.

3. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Tales is lovely and works just perfect as an album (like Finisterre), although I would say the stronger singles are in their earlier records.

Sheena, I forgot the CD in work today but I can rip it and put it in Sarah Cracknell's stocking come tomorrow if you want.

4. Sheena

Don't worry, DEAR, but thanks for the offer. I've got half the tracks already as they're on other things and I want to save the new stuff for when the cd actually arrives- call me sad, but if I've spent £150 (and yes, my most expensive cd ever), I want to at least hear it through TIP TOP SPEAKERS for the first time.

I love "Tales From Turnpike House" too- it's just behind "Good Humor" and "Tiger Bay" for me, but I still ADORE IT.

5. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Is A Glimpse Of Stocking meant to have a booklet with it? I'm guessing probably not as the songwriting credits and notes are on the sleeve already, but there is a gap for one which I've just wedged the Xmas card into.

6. Sheena

Apparently NOT...as you've just said, I've heard ELSEWHERE that it's basically a place holder for the christmas card (NICE TOUCH if you ask me)

Get the email today? Apparently they're shipping the UBERDELUXES on Thursday...which means I MIGHT JUST get it for the weekend. I'd better. Or there'll be FURY :evil:

7. FetchFugly

Yes I did think it will handily stop me losing the card somewhere. I do hope this Xmas-themed Sheena tribute will be worth your wait (and the dosh)...

8. Sheena

BAH, of course it isn't worth the money- to be fair, is ONE SONG EVER WORTH THAT MUCH (Bar perhaps "Bad Romance", NATURALLY :disco: )

Like I said, I just couldn't bear the thought of being without!

9. Sheena

So it's turned up. It really is FABULOUS all in all. There's a couple of CLUNKERS but then it's a christmas album, I was BOUND to find that.

As for the £150 MEGAsong, well, I LOVE IT! It's called "Christmas Boots" and, yep, I giggle like a child every time she sings my name :D

10. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Can you post the actual verse out of curiosity? :D

11. Sheena

I can do the whole song...I'll pop it in my LUDICROUSLY EXPENSIVE EGOTRIP :disco:

12. Mats

Mats User

13. Sheena

It's THERE loves :disco:

14. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

It is QUITE SOMETHING :D - I love how they slotted it in the lyrics. The song is actually VERY GOOD too!

15. Sheena

I love the way it covers all Etienne bases- the melancholy bits, the noodly instrumental bits, the twee bits, the dancefloor stonker bits.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it...

16. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

Oh, SHEE! :disco: :disco: :disco:

My initial thought was that she was going to rhyme your name with another line.

Like:

What can a man teach me?
    I think I'll ask...

But this is fucking FABULOUS. :D

...and HOPE it doesn't get LOST on the way to SOUTHSEA :disco:

17. Sheena

It's just that LITTLE BIT CAMP :disco:

Now I just need to persuade them to sing it live :D

18. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Now THAT is FABULOUS

And a cracking song TO BOOT :disco:

19. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

How many other fans have forked out £150 for this? I'm sure you could persuade them to do it at the Manc gig. :D

20. Sheena

There's a fair few over on the forums so they'd never do it.

I'd rather they let me duet on "I Was Born On Christmas Day" TO BE HONEST :disco:

21. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

Like the crazy evenings on the YACHT
    Shee and Sarah went and tied the knot! :disco:

22. Sheena

I'll OBVIOUSLY do it in character as Faloola

"I Was Be Born In Year of DOG"

23. FetchFugly

Oh Christmas Boots is wonderful! Better than quite a few of the album tracks actually, though I suppose at £150 you would be disappointed if it was a St Et instrumental with Sarah murmuring your name a couple of times.

24. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Oh LOL

That really is FABULOUS

25. Sheena

So been gigging my way around the country with the ET this week, as per, though the more interesting and exciting highlight has been that yesterday, I ended up spending a 3 hour train journey with our heroes. It wasn't particularly exciting or anything but quite exciting spending that much time in the company of your favourite ban d in the world...particularly as Lady Cracknell instigated the conversation after recognising me and not vice versa...yay!

26. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

They really were FABULOUS last night. :disco:

27. Sheena

So I've done all 3 gigs now and despite not being able to get home today it seems, I'm happy it was all very worth i8t.

Manchesgter was the best gig, though- they were FAB and the company was FAB and y'know....just FAB

28. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

...and we had a LOVELY walk !

:bruised:

29. Shirley

My brother went to the LONDON gig. He said it was HALF EMPTY but they did do 'Driving Home For Christmas'

30. Sheena

I don't think it was half empty at all. Certainly not downstairs...:confused:

31. Shirley

He blames the WEATHER

32. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

Manchesterford got off to a slow start, CROWD SIZE WISE, but by the time they came on, it was practically PACKED TO THE RAFTERS

33. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

34. Sheena

It was HELLISH conditions, I'll agree with that.

Thinking about it, I seem to remember on Twitter somewhere, someone saying it was Sold Out. Not that that means much but still...

35. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I was going to get a couple of these deluxe editions with my HMV vouchers but for some reason the cheapest one was £18 in store so fuck that. They seem to be holding their price online too.

36. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Bargain hunters should take note that the deluxe edition of 'Tales From Turnpike House' is a mere £5.99 at play.com whilst HMV.co.uk have 'Finisterre' and 'The Sound of Water' for the same price.

HMV seem to have a lot of these up for preorder for the end of March too whatever that is all about.

37. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

So I want to get the 'London Conversations: Best of Saint Etienne" double CD AND DVD for a friend and I can't find it online anywhere - it is not available in the usual online retailers, sold out in Amazon and the people selling it on eBay can't guarantee it's the double CD and DVD - it's most likely the 2CD version as that is widely available. I've tried the Saint Etienne official website but it is an absolute NIGHTMARE and I'm not sure there is a shop in there.

I would really really like to buy this version as it has a nice write-up about London and Saint Etienne which my friend would love, any ideas where I can get it?

38. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Well what's my luck apparently Play has it for 24 pounds, I did check on find-cd.co.uk.. anyone knows any cheaper prices for it?

39. Sheena

Ebay surely has new copies cheaper than that?

40. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

All the copies on eBay of London Conversations seem to be of the 2CD version - there is a German seller advertising the CDs + DVD but the picture looks like the 2CD version, I've emailed him and he said he couldn't guarantee what the itm was like as he only sold on order from another retailer (?).

Have Saint Etienne an online shop in their website? I've checked again to NO AVAIL.