Saturday declines to pay £23 for a Chas & Dave picture disc

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by octophone, Apr 13, 2019.

1. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

Morning.

Record Store Day today or "eBay Resellers Christmas" - the thread title is a genuine item and the price tag for it instore. Trying to imagine someone queuing up overnight, desperate to avail themselves of this...

2. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I've done my own record store day

Which really just consists of avoiding the real thing, sitting in bed, and buying a second hand copy of Eternal's Always and Forever on vinyl

:disco:

COB, Zu-Klara and octophone like this.
  3. octophone

I'm gonna buy some FLACs on Bandcamp.

Ellie and Zu-Klara like this.
  4. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I was thinking about going to see Pye Corner Audio at Rough Trade East but can I be doing with standing around staring at someone with a laptop in broad daylight? NON

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Red wine hangover

BLEURGH

6. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I saw there was a special edition of South Park's Bigger, Longer & Uncut soundtrack that was on coloured vinyl in the shape of two characters so I actually considered getting dressed and heading to my local record shop to buy it as a prezzy for somebody who I knew would love it. Then I realised that buying it as a gift for the spawn's ex-fiance might seem a bit weird so I didn't do it.

Ag and Ellie like this.
  7. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Still in bed :boring:

Sometimes I really let myself down :(

8. lolly

I probably would be had it not been for the fact that Mr L has been AGGRESSIVELY HOOVERING the landing. I'm not sure smacking the skirting boards quite so hard to make a point does them an awful lot of good, and I won't be the one touching up the paint work this time.

SDF likes this.
  9. octophone

If it's any help the discs themselves aren't actually shaped; it's just a cut out in the sleeve and the colour of the vinyl corresponds to the character.

The only reason I now know this is because I read this post, thought "that sounds cool" and Googled.

10. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

Oh I'm glad I didn't bother now, thanks Octy! The thing I saw suggested they were shaped too and that was what most appealed to me.

11. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I spent over 200 quid today :shy:

Didn't get any Chas & Dave tho...

12. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I did find loads of The Fall titles, @octophone ! I did consider picking one up but then I just didn't know which one to get really.

Clearly there's Bowie fatigue as there were loads of Pin-Ups picture discs untouched (obviously I picked one up).

As usual, the Madonna vinyl was gone (both of them) before I even got in. I'm most pleased about my Mansun "Legacy" 12"

13. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

I am eschewing records in favour of a cider festival in New Cross.

14. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I definitely think there's RSD fatigue but I don't care. I was into vinyl way before the resurgence so it's okay.

THAT BEING SAID, my pick of the day was not an RSD record at all but Gwen Guthrie's Good To Go Lover LP which I fished out of a charity shop bin for £1.

Outside IN THE RAIN
    Let's MAKE LOVE
    Out IN THE RAIN
    ALL NIGHT

:disco:

(@Shirley & @Sheena will hopefully be feeling me on this one)

Sheena likes this.
  15. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

OOH

I used to have the 12" of her version of (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU somewhere

Sprinkled MOON DUST in your hair
    But BABY
    Your eyes ain't blue
    *insert missing BLACK smiley here*

Lovely LARRY LEVAN mix

God I'm old

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Suedey likes this.
  16. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Belfast had no RSD participants this year. I wanted Carina Round and Shakespear’s Sister.

17. lolly

Really? That's quite shocking. I'd have imagined you had a little indie or two.

18. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

So the alky weirdo in the flat opposite had an ambulance and police there this morning when I got up at quarter to eight. Got home from walking the dog half an hour ago and there was another ambulance outside but the crew were just sat in the front. Minutes later a police van turned up with two coppers in it and they went inside first and the ambulance crew followed them. Now a police car has turned up with blue flashers on. Honestly, no amount of curtain-twitching is enough because they've parked the ambulance in front of his flat window!

In all seriousness though he should be arrested for the amount of times he calls the emergency services. Since he moved in it's at least weekly.

19. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Sorry what?

20. lolly

In Rough Trade now. Six copies of Chas n' Dave left, competitively priced at £18.99 as well.

Two copies of La Isla Bonita and three of True Blue left.

21. lolly

Whole boxes of Bowie albums and singles.

I've picked up the soundtrack of Hitchcock's Spellbound. I probably won't buy it, but I've got the last copy and there's someone else who clearly wants it, so if I do put it back I'll hide it somewhere he'll never find it.

octophone and SDF like this.
  22. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Despite going out into the back garden every day to feed the birds (or more accurately to leave piles of bird seed lying around in random places to attract rats) Mr S has completely failed to notice that the back fence is tilting into our garden at an angle of 45 degrees

DON'T WORRY SOMEONE ELSE WILL WORRY ABOUT IT AND SORT IT OUT YOU JUST CARRY ON WATCHING AMUSING PARROT VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE

23. Rita

Rita User

Does anyone else here remember galaxy swirls?

PLEASE tell me I am not imagining things.

24. lolly

What the fuck are you talking about, Rita?

Rita likes this.
  25. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

It rings a bell. Galaxy chocolate with biscuit in it? Vaguely remember a caramel one too but that might be just Galaxy Caramel.

26. Rita

Rita User

My friend said it was a fragment of my imagination but it definitely was a THING.

27. Rita

Rita User

The ones I remember were galaxy chocolates with caramel in them. I remember always picking them up at the cinema. I think they were bitesized but individually wrapped.

28. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I've just googled and come up with nothing except something called Galaxy Swirlers that they still sell, it's got biscuit in and the bar breaks into ten fingers that you dunk in hot drinks. What you've described rings a bell but I don't do caramel so I'd never have had them.

:D This is like when nobody remembered Germolene bubbly (but that wasn't what it was called). I KNOW it existed, I remember eating it and even the temporary tattoos that came with it.

Rita likes this.
  29. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Yeah until this year there were always two that took part but both closed this year, pressure of the times. I asked a couple of others but apparently they weren’t allowed to take part, there’s some silly rule apparently if you have too large a second hand trade you can’t take part.

30. Rita

Rita User

I think you have hit the nail on the head that I have very likely got the wrong name. It is so annoying when you are sure of something and remember them vividly only to second guess yourself when no one else has a scooby doo what the hell you are on about. :D

31. octophone

Only one of them is completely legit, the new pressing of "Imperial Wax Solvent". The others are either dodgy or the result of company mergers and demergers, sell-offs etc.

Suedey likes this.
  32. octophone

They've clearly used RSD for the "we won't be able to shift this at any other time of year, even Christmas" Bowie releases.

Suedey likes this.
  33. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

Does anyone know of a good online photo printing service? I just want a few standard photos printed

34. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I don't remember Galaxy Swirl but I do like a Ripple every once in a while..

35. octophone

Boots? Or do they only have it instore?

36. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Do Snappy Snaps have an online service ?

37. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Yep just had a look and they do! You can choose to print at their local store.

38. Superstylin'

Superstylin' User

I remember these too. I think they also launched an ice cream bar variation maybe a few years later.

It’s funny how they just vanish and you think nothing of it until years later .. they are essentially the same as what is now the mini caramel celebration block. (Where as I seem to remember they were foil wrapped circles with a swirl indent on top sold in a bag).

I also used to love Galaxy Secrets too.

Rita likes this.
  39. Rita

Rita User

YES!!!! I love you Superstylin’.

40. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Bit late but a friend queued up for me from 4:30am and got me an excellent haul of:

Bananarama 12” remix EP
    A-Ha Alternate Hunting High and Low
    Prince 12” Thing
    Robyn Body Talk
    Saint Etienne Saturday Boy

I didn’t get either of the Bananarama albums though, which has properly gutted me. I’ll have to pay stupid discogs prices now :(