Sheena's Drugged Up Athletics Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Strawberry Jam, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

BIG FAT LOL

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.co...0-meter-champion-faces-doping-suspension.html

Reigning Olympic and world 400-meter track champion LaShawn Merritt faces a two-year suspension for what he said was use of an over-the-counter male enhancement product that he did not know contained the banned substance DHEA.

Merritt, 23, of Portsmouth, Va., was found positive for DHEA, a steroid, in three successive out-of-competition tests from October, 2009, through January 2010.

He called his use of the product a "foolish, immature and egotistical mistake.''

Merritt has decided to accept a provisional suspension and not compete until his case is resolved. That would mean he would miss the 2010 season unless he asks for an expedited hearing.

His attorney, Howard Jacobs, said via telephone Merritt has yet to decide about seeking quicker resolution of the case.

Merritt apologized for his mistake in the Thursday release from Jacobs that revealed the positive tests.

"To know I have tested positive as a result of a product I used for personal reasons is extremely difficult to wrap my hands around,'' Merritt said in the statement. "I hope my sponsors, family, friends and the sport itself will forgive me for making such a foolish, immature and egotistical mistake.

"Any penalty I may receive for my action I may receive for my action will not overshadow the embarrassment and humiliation I feel.''

Jacobs said Merritt's appeal would be based on the "exceptional circumstances rule -- no fault or no significant fault.''

The three tests will be treated as a single positive. By accepting the provisional suspension in early April, any ban would begin from that date rather than a later date if Merritt had decided to keep competing.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Oh what NONSENSE that is

As if you take a SHONKY WILLY DRUG whilst you're the fucking OLYMPIC CHAMPION and getting tested all the time.

RIDICULOUS

3. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

So this guy is either the most naive man in this history or professional sport or a big fat lying druggie. Either way, I think we can expect his agent to steal all his money.

4. Sheena

The latter without doubt. Though, to be fair, I never had him down as such. Still, not good, not good at all...

5. Win_the_game

Win_the_game PAZZESKA

I find it all a bit dodgy but I'm veering on giving him the benefit of the doubt. It is essentially an admission that he has a small cock. Few men would openly admit to that now would they?

6. Sheena

Oh PLEASE

"I've got a small cock" vs "I'm a drug addled cheat and all my performances are tainted and you're going to take away my livelihood which earns me millions of dollars in sponsorship"

I think I'd tell the world I had a small penis for THAT

7. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

OH THANK THE FUCKING LORD I HAVE BEEN MEANING TO PM YOU ALL MONTH TO OPEN THE 2010 THREAD BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE AWAY THE ROYALITIEST.

Mind, I might contribute something once I'm sober.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. Sheena

ANYONE can start the thread but it MUST have the OFFICIAL MONIKER :disco:

9. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

GOOD GOOD :D

I find the LaShawn Merritt suspension utterly hilarious but very disappointing as well. I never had him or, say, Wariner on my list and it's shame for the 400m events. However the jury's out whether he actually decided to drug up or whether he's just got a small willy, though I'm afraid the former might be likelier. :wired:

10. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

In other news, former German pole vaulter and medalist Yvonne Buschbaum had a bit of a change over.

Left: 10 years ago, right: Today
    [​IMG][​IMG]

He was in a rather big prime time chat show the other month and stated it was the reason why he finished his athletic career and the far more interesting aspect was how taking steroids and so on in order to 'switch sides' made him very much aware of who's got a clean slate and who doesn't.

11. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

The LaShawn Merritt suspension is really disappointing. There's always a suspicious thought lurking in the back of my mind about everyone successful these days although I try to ignore it as I love this sport, but I thought he might just be someone who was actually genuinely good :evil:

12. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I think that LaShawn Merritt is the new number three in my list of favourite drugs test failure excuses.

1. I drank five bottles of beer and sex with my wife at least four times...it was her birthday, the lady deserved a treat.

2. I kissed a waitress who had been doing cocaine.

3. I've got a really small cock.

13. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

14. wildchild

wildchild fine piece of real estate

I was just thinking about my favourite sports moments of all time and remembered this CLASSIC. Eunice B might be a cunt - but when she took the gold in Paris 2003 with her last jump, I became a fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OeiSYzBUws

15. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Hehe

16. Sheena

Oh the greatest athletics moment of all time is surely THIS

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZu_ecuwEdc&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZu_ecuwEdc&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Though you miss the sheer JOY of the BBC commentator with David Coleman screaming "But Merlene Ottey's got the gold, OTTEY'S GOT IT!" in sheer wonderment and then revealing how every single journalist in the media area had leapt up and cheered when she had. Brilliant stuff, still brings a tear to my eye...

17. wildchild

That was a great one too. As was the Stuttgart 100 meters too - in its own way.

And just a few weeks ago Ottey clocked 11,71 - aged 50! I wonder if she will qualify for the European Championships.

"Sanna" Kallur will not participate because of her leg and poor preparation. Carolina Kluft got a wild card for the long jump, although, she's lucky to make it to the finals.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  18. Sheena

She won't qualify for the Europeans- the final entry was today. I think we've probably seen the last of her at a major championships now- to get to the Worlds/Olympics she'll need at least 11.40ish and I really do think that's beyond her now...

I didn't realise Susanna Kallur was out again...I thought her early season form would lead her through and that she'd at least medal, possibly retain her title. What a shame- especially as her sister is still sidelined too. Kluft won't do anything special. I still fail to see why she's concentrating on the jumps to be honest. If she's not going to do the heptathlon (fair enough) then she SCREAMS "400m hurdler" to me...

19. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

That Merlene first gold medal win ( at world level ) was epic for me. I'd sat through years and years of near misses and disappointments so when she finally landed the gold at world level it was a special moment. Merlene being Merlene though she had to give everyone a near heart attack by overstriding and stumbling towards the end almost letting Torrence past her. That really was a golden era of women's sprinting. Nice also for perennial bronze medallist Irina Privalova to eventually get an Olympic gold in the 400 metres hurdles in Sydney when she moved up from the sprints so she got to retire happy too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  20. wildchild

She actually IS going to be a part of the relay team. :o

And yes, I can't understand how Carolina has gone from almost 7 meters to 640cm in a few years. If sports is all she does in her life, surely she'll run out of motivation for the long jump soon.

More bad news for the Swedes: Christian Olsson will not go to the ECs.

21. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Anchor leg for Merlene please. The girl who beat her into 2nd in the Slovenian nationals can do the 2nd leg.

22. Sheena

I'm amazed the Slovenes are even bothering with a relay team at all but if it means I get to see Merlene then YAY! Now all we need is the Belgians to wheel Kim Gevaert out, pregnant and all... :disco:

23. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I'm sure Merlene was quite a forceful behind the scenes factor in a Slovenian relay team getting entered ;)

I see GB junior Jodie Williams winning streak of 151 races came to an end in the World Junior 200 metres where she came second, still came out with 100 gold and 200 silver but no doubt that would be a bit gutting to finally lose.

24. Sheena

I thought she'd lose the 200 to be honest after the semi in which she looked exhausted. I'm glad it's out of the way- that would have been one HELL of an albatross around her neck when she moved into the senior ranks...

25. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

2 down, 13 to go.

PS. Why is John Inverdale not dead yet?

26. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

JUST WHERE IS SUE BARKER? :evil:

The boys in the 10,000 were brilliant.

27. Sheena

John Inverdale really is ABHORRENT. He's worse than the hideous HAZEL, and that's saying something. I can't BEAR him and he clearly doesn't have a FUCKING CLUE about athletics- his comments in Spike Magazine this month SAY IT ALL.

Anyway, what a great day for the British- unless I'm mistaken, poor injured Maz Okoro is the only athlete to have been eliminated in today's events. And she put up a good fight! Farah winning the 10k was wonderful but the way he was beckoning on Chris Thompson on the penultimate lap, when he really should have been concentrating on his own battles, was one of the most idiotic yet selfless things I've ever seen in all my time watching major athletics. Excellent!

Now onto day 2, where there's a lot more action (today was a bit "bitty" because of them cancelling a few opening rounds of various events as there weren't enough entrants).

28. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

I miss Roman Šebrle. :(

For athletic reasons obviously...:eyes:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  29. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

What we got happening today then?

30. Sheena

Lots of qualifying, men's 100m final is the main attraction, well, from a British point of view...

31. Tal

Tal Morrissssssssssey

Wow! Fantastic run! Even if the time was a bit disappointing...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  32. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I will actually be sad if Dwain Chambers hasn't medalled.

33. Sheena

I wasn't sad at all to see Chambers not medalling. Actually, that's something of a lie as I want Britain to get as many golds as possible and so in a way, I wanted him to win for us, but not for himself. If that makes any sense. Still, great race from an excitement point of view but rubbish times. The headwind in Barcelona really is going to fuck up anyone doing anything special, which is a great shame. It was the same in the games of 92 too, though then Devers managed her 10.82 into a -1.0 wind, which is worth what would have then been an amazing 10.7 run...but I digress.

Disappointment of the day was the men's 400. Rooney, to be honest, I don't think has looked the part for a while now, so I'm not massively surprised, but Michael Bingham should have not eased up in his heat and let Gillick win- it now means we have Rooney in lane 1 in the final (and he's far too tall to deal with that successfully) and Bingham has drawn lane 8, when I thought he was the only athlete capable of taking on Jonathan Borlée. When will athletes actually learn what they need to do to get decent draws etc?

Perri Shakes Drayton I was pleased with- she ran really well...to be honest, I don't think she's the great talent everyone claims she is- her technique is appalling in places and I reckon she's got no natural flow as a hurdler. I think she's much better suited to being a 400m flat runner. Still, though I doubt she will medal or even replicate her semis time in the final, it was a good run and Elidh Child did well to make the final too- I'm impressed with her attitude, she really seems to give it a go. Once Tasha Danvers gets back to full fitness (IF Tasha Danvers gets back to full fitness...) we've got a rather impressive trio to rival the Gunnell-Retchakhan monopoly of the early 90s...

Tomorrow's main event then is the women's 100m and I'm still unconvinced by Laura Turner. The ranking lists show her as the second fastest in Europe, but it shows you how useless rankings can be when Alena Neumarzhitskaya went out in her heat this morning, half a second slower than her Europe leading 11.05. Turner's time was set with maximum wind and at reasonable altitude, but I still think a place in the final would be a good result. I'd LOVE it if she proved me wrong but it's between Veronique Mang and Verena Sailer for my money. It's just so sad to think of how far removed European 100m sprinting is from world class- since Gevaert retired, anyway. None of the athletes here could trouble a world level final, or even maybe a semi, on their current form. Injured British athlete Jeanette Kwakye's Twitter has been kinda saying it all today, with her saying how she is sure the 100m here is going to make her sick as a pig- indeed, at her best, she is a cut above the rest. Hey ho...

My final word of the day is how ridiculous the UK Athletics policy of not picking qualified athletes for the championships is turning out to be. They didn't even pick Mark Lewis Francis until they got to the training camp in Portugal and you have to wonder why they didn't put the likes of Joice Maduaka and the inexperienced (and therefore very much in need of this level of competition) Elaine O'Neill in the individual event when they are already here for the relay anyway. Maduaka would have made the final on this form at least. Same goes for the 400- Nicola Sanders is very much injured and far from her best, but it took 52.3 to make the final here- Nicola's had a couple of weeks training since her last race and I reckon could have at least snuck in the final and then who knows- and surely it would benefit the relays to give her a couple more races. The fact that the ludicrously high UK Athletics standards missed out Andy Vernon in the 10000m last night when he is 4th ranked in Europe is just FARCICAL! We could have had a clean sweep...!

Anyway, that's today's thoughts. Sorry it's a biggun...I had no intention of typing quite that much! :D

34. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

Well that's been a fun evening. Apoca unsurprisingly seems QUITE PLEASED. Those 2 german victories were great. Idowu's PB was definitely a highlight, as was Lemaitre making the rest of the field look like they were going in slow motion in the 2nd half after having a crap 1st half.

35. wildchild

I just can't decide who I like more - Ennis or Dobrynska. Jessica Ennis off to a good start with 12,95 in the hurdles.

36. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

THIS.

Oh and Sailer is FIT FIT FIT.

37. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I'm hoping Oeser will medal in the Heptathlon.

And I'm rather convinced she will.

38. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

Poor Christian Malcom, so near yet so far.

Nice third round on the Shotput once again for Jess. :disco:

39. Mikey

Mikey User

What a bloody cracking 400m final that was to add to what's already been a pretty damn good evening.

Your post was a great read btw Shee to get upto speed on a few things. I haven't really been following this athletics season at all so I have no perspective over who is meant to be doing well etc. But least Rooney and Bingham have reaped rewards tonight despite making it hard for themselves with their draws.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  40. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

Great stuff yet again, although this is turning a bit Tennis-esque. Thank god for Jessica Ennis becausae we need a British woman to win SOMETHING.