Sheena's FIRST LISTEN PARTY

Discussion in 'Girls Aloud' started by Sheena, Nov 3, 2008.

1. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

Untouchable and Love Is Pain make the album for me. Really really magnificent songs. I hope they both get thrown out as singles (DOUBT IT)

Untouchable took a few listens, but I love it now. The lyrics are possibly the best in the entire GA back catalogue.

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Sorry for the delay, Moopy did its usual BREAKDOWN for me

You'll be pleased to know I PAUSED the album in the interim so you didn't MISS A THING

3. Sheena

Love Is Pain

How many albums of the past few years have touted being "80s" ? Now THIS is the SHIT. It's Bobby O producing the PSB backing-track wise. The lyrics in this have entirely washed over me as I've just been concentrating on the backing track. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear this in a club, it would be absolutely brilliant.

EWW..."Love Is Pain Oh Oh Oh, You're Insane Oh Oh Oh"- first misstep and ruining what could have challenged for the very top. Love it bar the "You're Insane" bit...VERY lazy lyric making. Anyway, a small price to pay- this is TOPS

4. jonhawk

jonhawk Bluffin' with my muffin

:D

GOOD.

5. Sheena

Miss You Bow Wow

Sarah really is FUCKING MARVELLOUS on this album? It might be that I actually recognise her voice most of the girls but she is sticking out beautifully- especially on this.

Another "filler" song but don't take that as disrespect. It's another Blondie song- it's almost "11:59" from "Parallel Lines" in tempo. Whoever has been brushing up on their late 70s/early 80s synth pop really HAS done their homework. The chorus on this is KILLER too. The choruses on Girls Aloud records are OBVIOUSLY always a highlight but this is one of the strongest...this is going to be GREAT to drive to. Just a subtle edge of melancholy about it somewhere too.

Just so you know GANG, after one play, I can easily see this being my favourite Girls Aloud album EVER.

6. Sheena

:D

I do OFTEN wonder if everpres is just HAVING A LAUGH when he says what his favourite songs are on albums you know...

7. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

The only bit I like about Miss You Bow Wow is the "Do you remembeeeeeeeeeer....." line.

8. Sheena

Revolution In The Head

"Oh baby this is REAAAAAAL LIFE" except not quite as good.

"Gimme a ting?", nah I don't think so. I don't dislike it, nothing on this so far has had that problem yet, but then it's been a while since I've disliked ANYTHING they've done, but this perfectly perfunctory pop which pushes no envelopes and few buttons. It also seems slightly out of place on this- it's far too "modern" for my liking. Though in its defence I like the pipey bits in the background towards the end. It's alright enough...I fear the last two songs are going to be ropey but what's gone before is still GOOD ENOUGH. I mean, even this is a 7/10...

9. Sheena

Oh HOLD YER PONIES PAM

The ending of "Revolution In The Head" really MAY have just given it an extra point

10. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

It's definitely their most consistent album for me, and their least annoying. I've found some of the songs on previous albums unbelievably silly and annoying.

11. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

You've still got the comedy animal noises to come!
    But yes, We Wanna Party is quite ropey.

12. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I do like Sarah on Miss You Bow Wow...I rememBERRR..., what a glorious chorus. She and Cheryl appear to be all over the album - was Nadine too busy faffing about with her precious bar in LA to bother turning up at the recording sessions?

I'm enjoying the album a lot more on second listen, but I suspect it won't be up there with Tangled Up. The electroballady numbers are the picks, contrary to what certain press reviews have said.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  13. Sheena

OT: Jonhawk, in your facebook avatar, I thought you were in a row of drag queens and initially tried to work out which one was you dressed up before I realised you were the bloke :D

14. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

EH?

My favourites on this album are Love Is Pain - Untouchable and Revolution In The Head. I do not think that is a particularly bizarre opinion.

15. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Nadine even thanks the people working on that fucking bar in the credits. Who gives a shite?

16. Sheena

You said "Revolution In The Head" in your initial ranking...I find that UTTERLY BIZARRE

17. jonhawk

jonhawk Bluffin' with my muffin

:o :Oi: OH MY GOD. I don't think I've been so INSULTED in my LIFE. Actually that's probably MORE insulting to my ex-housemates :D

18. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Not at all, those 3 are in my top 4 along with "Turn To Stone".

19. Sheena

Yes, it was more aimed at THEM than YOU

Anyway

Live In The Country

Could have been on "What Would The Neighbours Say" really. I LOVE the ridiculous farmyard noises at the end :D Girls Aloud with a sense of humour- something that hasn't happened on this record yet. I quite like this, but I think it will take time to reveal it's true joy...it's certainly not as instant as some of the rest of the album.

AMAZING that they went with "The Promise" as the first single when it's THIS unrepresentative too. And what WAS that press release about that said it was 60s influenced?

20. Sheena

We Wanna Party

Well their closing tracks are usually a let down- and after what's gone on before, this does too. I think "Untouchable" would have been the perfect closer in fact. But let's not go there just yet.

I like this, it's VERY reminiscent of Alice Cooper's "Poison" in the chorus- both from a melodic point of view and the phrasing "I wanna love you but I'd better not touch" and the bit about senses...all very similar) and as I love that song, this is NOT A BAD FACT.

Oh I've lost the plot now...this finished a few minutes ago and I skipped straight back to "Untouchable" and have realised I've been in a gay disco coma dancing in front of my PC with my arms in the air for the past 70 seconds...*sigh*

21. Sheena

INITIAL RANKING THEN

1. Untouchable
    2. The Loving Kind
    3. Love Is Pain
    4. Turn To Stone
    5. The Promise
    6. Miss You Bow Wow
    7. Rolling Back The Rivers In Time
    8. Fix Me Up
    9. Live In The Country
    10.Revolution In The Head
    11.We Wanna Party
    12.Love Is The Key

I can't see ANYTHING being less than a 7/10 all said, though

22. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

"Fix Me Up" ruins the proceedings for me, how good would it have been to have "Love is Pain" come straight after "Untouchable"

instead you get that LUMP in the middle

23. Sheena

But "Love Is Pain" might not have such a good effect after "Untouchable"

For me, "Untouchable" should have closed things...with a MUCH LONGER OUTRO

To be honest, I just want it to go on FOREVER

24. Sheena

I really want to change my avatar because I want my signature to be "In my dreams we are forty storeys high..." but I've ONLY JUST GOT GRACE :(

25. Sheena

I do believe Lolly may have hinted at this but as the other half of the OFFICIAL MOOPY RIDICULOUS OLDER GAY INTO MUSIC FAR TOO YOUNG FOR THEM BUT MAKING THEM REMINISCE OF WHEN MUSIC WAS PROPER AND GOOD IN THEIR YOUTH CLUB, I can officially declare this album is, quite simply, the "ABSOLUTE TITS" :disco:

26. Sheena

AND ONLY LOVE
    Can SAVE US NOW

:disco:

27. Sheena

Where's ADEVA when you need him?

I need to be PHOTOSHOPPED into that album cover QUICK :D

28. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

Girls Aloud album tracklistings always annoy me, there is always something in the WRONG PLACE. Whilst I quite like Live In The Country as an album closer, We Like To Party tagged on the end is just bad banana. I do not count We Like To Party as part of the album however. Also I agree Untouchable would make a magnificent album closer.

It still bugs me that Sexy No No No did not open Tangled Up. A song with an intro that elaborate is utterly wasted as track 2.

29. Sheena

"Sexy! No No No" was Track 3...

But yes, I agree. It should have opened with "Call The Shots" second, but it doesn't bother me THAT MUCH.

My only gripe with "Untouchable" is that the outro should go on MUCH MUCH longer. Another half a minute of that gorgeous instrumentation- and yes, it should then be the epic closer...

30. Sheena

Updated rank just a COUPLA DAYS IN

Er...EXACTLY THE SAME :D

31. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

I agree, have always thought that as immense as 'Call The Shots' is that it shouldn't have been the opener on Tangled Up

I was driving down the A2 last night at about midnight with 'Untouchable' blaring out and not another car in sight - it sounded AMAZING.

32. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

the #1 album on itunes now!

33. Sheena

Newly updated rank...the BIG news is that I think "The Loving Kind" may JUST be closing in on "Untouchable" :o

1. Untouchable
    2. The Loving Kind
    3. Turn To Stone
    4. Love Is Pain
    5. Miss You Bow Wow
    6. The Promise
    7. Revolution In The Head
    8. Rolling Back The Rivers Of Time
    9. We Wanna Party
    10.Live In The Country
    11.Love Is The Key
    12.Fix Me Up

34. Sheena

CURRENT ranking

1. Untouchable
    2. The Loving Kind
    3. Love Is Pain
    4. Miss You Bow Wow
    5. Turn To Stone
    6. The Promise
    7. Love Is The Key
    8. Rolling Back The Rivers
    9. Revolution In The Head
    10.Live In The Country
    11.We Wanna Party
    12.Fix Me Up

35. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

"The Loving Kind" is definitely my No. 1 now. It's only 2nd to "Call the Shots in my GA ALL TIME LISTINGS.

36. Sheena

"Untouchable" and "The Loving Kind" keep swapping around...I have been ignoring the former for a while whilst THRASHING the latter and so it's a bit of overplay I fear...

37. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I think I prefer "The Loving Kind" because I really identify with it :shy:

Oh baby, if you find
    I'm not the loving kind
    I'll buy you flowers, I'll pour you wine
    Do anything to change your mind

*weeps* :(

38. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

I love "The Loving Kind", but i'm still not 100% clear what 'if you find, i'm not the loving kind' actually means :confused:

39. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

The use of 'if you find' here is as in 'if you think' if you get my drift.

So she is basically saying, "If you think I'm not the loving kind / incapable of love then I would do all these things that people who are 'loving' and affectionate do to change your mind about me / love me / not leave me"

THE STORY OF MY LIFE, boys..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  40. Sheena

Suede is RIGHT