Shura - forevher

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Jark, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jark

Jark User

this wonderful woman is FINALLY back

and it's amazing. I hope she has another album as stunning as Nothing's Real up her sleeve, that was a highlight of the decade.

2. ameraal

ameraal at least at times you knew me

it's lovely. shura is lovely. more please. for anyone without rubbish old spotify:

Jark likes this.
  3. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

That's really gorgeous. That kind of smooth R&B suits her, but while the jazzy bits work here I don't think I want her to go any further in that direction.

4. Jark

Jark User

YASSSS

5. Mats

Mats User

perfect venue for her here :o

6. Jark

Jark User

second album forevher is out August 16 - here's the 2nd single (it's very janet) and tracklist

01. that's me, just a sweet melody (intro)
    02. side effects
    03. religion (u can lay your hands on me)
    04. the stage
    05. BKLYNLDN
    06. tommy
    07. princess leia
    08. flyin'
    09. forever
    10. control
    11. skyline, be mine

a very noticeable swerve in direction this time. let's see...

7. ameraal

i swear i saw the wonderful video for religion posted already but i guess not.

well here it is then *.*

8. Jark

Jark User

the video has some nice shots but is quite a bit too on the nose for my tastes. the song uses religion as an allegory for love, lust and obsession so I don't think it needed to feature religious imagery in such literal fashion. that said, there aren't enough nuns in pop videos so that's nice.

I really like Religion - it's not quite BKLYNLDN but she is a superb writer and vocalist, and the new jazz/R&B elements of the production this time around are a nice switch-up. It's a shame she's getting no attention whatsoever, even from critics. Her streaming numbers are properly crap. I think she was away too long.

9. ameraal

i love that video. probably because it is so on the nose and as you said: nuns. where's lolly?

can't say i see her doing anything with this. i think she just got lucky last time with touch - i'm just not sure there's a proper market for (thoughtful, non-celebrity-driven) artists like her left.

10. FetchFugly

I like Religion very much, more than the previous song. The nuns dancing in the empty swimming pool is my favourite part of the video.

11. Jark

Jark User

I'm not sure I agree with that completely - I think someone like King Princess is quite comparable and she's getting really quite a lot of streams for someone under the radar/sans an actual chart hit.

I just think hype is a very fleeting thing and most of these girls have it for one album at most if they don't actually cross over. people get bored and move on to the next obsession. so for Shura to be away 3 years, she's basically starting again from nothing.

12. ameraal

king princess has that grainy/diy look that the kids seem to be into. whereas shura has a more unconventional look and i think her aesthetic, much as i think is absolutely perfect, is just not cool anymore. i dunno, maybe i'm just making this shit up.

13. funky

funky INCAPABLE

possibly my favourite pop artist this decade

14. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

She dropped the third single yesterday afternoon. Hot 70s vibe.

15. Jark

Jark User

not mad on that one at all. It's very Tame Impala but I'm not sure that's what I want from her. I'm actually a touch worried about the album - every song on the debut is a 9+ for me so I don't want to be disappointed but maybe it's inevitable

16. ameraal

it definitely sounds like she's moved on from the shimmering synths of the debut. sadly.

FetchFugly and Jark like this.
  17. FetchFugly

As much as I am pleased she seems to be living her best loved up lesbian life, in my book you need a very good reason to move on from shimmering synths. The new songs are all varying degrees of good but agree that it does seem this album might not live up to the first one.

18. Jark

Jark User

forevher is finally out Friday. I'm very excited and also a bit nervous - I don't expect it to top Nothing's Real (how could it?) but I hope the whole thing will be as good as BKLYNLDN and religion.

Nothing's Real rate, just because:

09 Nothing's Real
    08 What's It Gonna Be
    11 Touch
    10 Kidz 'N' Stuff
    10 Indecision
    09 What Happened To Us?
    10 Tongue Tied
    09 Make It Up
    10 2Shy
    11 White Light

not even looning, it just really is that great.

ameraal and monsta like this.
  19. Jark

Jark User

here we go :o

I'll digest this for a bit and return with some thoughts later

20. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Skyline, Be Mine just soars.
    Control, Foever, and Wide Effects are varying degrees of nice as well.
    The middle section was a chore. I feel like Tommy was meant to be the emotional centrepoint of the album, but it largely washed over me.
    On the whole I love how queer and romantic this is, but it's also very monotonous. It's good, but not magical.

21. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

My first plays have been disappointing. Nothing has clicked and the only thing it brings to mind is those dancing nuns from Glastonbury :zombie:

I love the preceding album but life's too short for another try of this one.