Simon Cowell returning to UK X Factor

Discussion in 'Reality Bites' started by Slave, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Slave

Slave User

Like him or hate him, I think the show has missed Simon Cowell over the last few years, especially when it quickly became evident how tiresome Gary Barlow was as a makeshift replacement head judge.

2. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

So X Factor USA is quietly cancelled and he returns to 'save' the UK show for a heroes welcome.

Just as we all predicted 2 years ago.

3. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I really want Cheryl to sign up for Strictly. With Dannii.

4. Euphoria

Euphoria User

I don't get it. He won't save it apart from some publicity. Where can you go with the show now? I suppose it's only going now because of the amount of money it brings in.

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Yes, I'm sure it's still a big cash cow for ITV, declining ratings or not. I imagine that the ratings for the first episode at least will be an improvement over last year. After that, who knows? Cheryl back as well will be an even better story.

Let's not go down the route of anyone seriously suggesting Dannii's presence would make a jot of difference.

6. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I don't think Simon's return will actually dramatically change the shows fortunes or fix the issues with it (mainly the dreadful and predictable song choices and the generally poor level of TALENT on display the last 2 series), but it at least has a chance as opposed to a continued decline. For better or worse, he does bring something to the show/the panel.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

This is good news. Hopefully the female signing replacing Mrs O. will be worthwile and someone he has chemistry with or loathes - ie Cheryl or Countess Geru of Australia.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. Euphoria

Euphoria User

Surely Mel B would be the most likely signing for the role?

9. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Although interestingly I've heard this story twice on the radio news. One only mentioned that X Factor USA had been cancelled. The other still led with that before mentioning his return to the UK version.

Still, I guess it's when the auditions start that the Cowell fawning will kick in.

10. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The guardian headline today is Axed Factor.

11. Steptacular

Steptacular User

This will create an initial ratings hike but I don't think it can stop the rot completely. He's probably trying everything to get Cheryl back.

12. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I don't see the hysteria over Cheryl. She wasn't THAT good.

13. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

She was adored.

14. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

She's an A-List name, like it or not.

15. Ag

Ag User

Doesn't stop her being only slightly more interesting than Dannii.

16. Loufoque

To some queens. To most people she was the star attraction.

17. Ag

Ag User

I am aware of her status as some sort of national sweetheart, but my opinion is that it was entirely unjustified. Now Nicole and Sharon worked for their £$£. The only things I remember of Cheryl were Gamu, Wagner and Jay Kay.

18. Loufoque

Cheryl was great at crying on cue

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/doulvx-TaYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Euphoria

Euphoria User

I'm not sure if people would take too well to Cheryl, the "nation's sweetheart" labelling for her seems quite old-hat these days.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Is she still considered the queen of hearts? Since GA disbanded and her music and tv careers died off, I have not heard anyone mention her. They'll be better off with the current queen of hearts Emelie Sandé.

21. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Cherly does feel a bit forgotten as of late, horrible arse tattoo aside. I'm not convinced she'll be quite as beloved if she does come back.

22. Treacle

Treacle User

I don't dislike Cheryl quite as much as I disliked the NATION'S ACTUAL NON RACIST SWEETHEART thing but she joined X Factor for arguably it's most entertaining year and that for me was a coincidence and nothing specifically due to her own contribution. Everything from the auditions to the live shows was really watchable that year, there were a few decent people to root for and Cheryl was basically given the producer's top 3 on a plate. The following two series were just dire.

The only way to save X Factor (as in, for it not be totally unbearable anymore) is to go right back to basics judges in room, boot camp with no audience and then the live shows. It felt so much structured and entertaining.

23. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

I liked Cheryl's "shurrup Louis" but that's about it.

24. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I think Simon's shtick has been tired for a long time now, and since Gary was there to do his best impression of him anyway, I doubt his return will make a big difference to how entertaining the show is as a whole.

25. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

wrong thread

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014