Slimming World

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by dUb, Jun 14, 2016.

1. dUb

dUb BUSY

Has anyone done this?

I just started my JOURNEY :daf: last week at a hefty 15st 11. Aiming for 13.5 at least.

Anyway it's a bit of a ball ache counting fucking SYNS and I don't really understand how you can have as much pasta and potatoes as you can physically fit in your mouth but I'm going with it for now. :Oi:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. Ag

Ag User

I have my heart appointment at the hospital next week. I rather suspect I'm doomed for something like this, sitting just under 15 stone.

3. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Any diet that lets you eat loads of pasta but discourages you from eating avocados is a non-starter in my book.

I'm sure it works, or it wouldn't be so popular, but sounds a bit short-sighted to me.

Just eats loads of meat, fish, veg and fruit and nutritionally sense stuff like that.

4. dUb

dUb BUSY

I don't especially buy into the concept but I do need the discipline of the weekly weigh-ins to get anywhere.

I thought SW was a bit different to WW and wouldn't just be me and a load of mums but that's what it has turned out to be :D :bruised:

5. Ag

Ag User

I can do short term discipline. Anything beyond a few weeks I lose interest. I feel like I'm gonna be the tall thin guy with a load of fat chicks claiming I'm FAT INSIDE.

6. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

It's actually absolutely the opposite. It's a healthy eating way of life. Slimming World is the only diet which is recommended by the NHS because of that entirely. It's not restricted to the point that you are forbidden foods and it understands you will slip "off the wagon", as it were. Things cooked from scratch are (generally) much better than anything pre-processed, most fruit and veg are entirely free to eat (avocados DO actually contain a lot of fat- healthy fat, but not healthy if you're dieting, for example) and it's actually really quite easy to follow once you get the grip of it.

I've done SW for years and am now back at classes for the wedding. Lost 2 stone since January but have hit a plateau to be honest. We also have loads of women and just me and a random old guy who I'm SURE is there just to perve as he doesn't have any weight to lose to the naked eye!

If you need any tips, please ask. I'm very much an "old hand" at it.

7. Sheena

You will find immediately that it's absolutely ok to do this and the weight WILL fall off if you stick to it, but as you get further into plan, you may need to restrict them- they never say that openly, but they encourage "Extra SP", which basically restricts potatoes and pasta etc, once you've plateaued and are struggling with your losses.

8. Sheena

Oh and another good tip is join an Instagram Slimming World account and a facebook one (I belong to one but it's a "private" group- I could invite you but I don't think we're facebook friends). There's a lot of "How's u hun?" shit on there, but it's VERY good for picking up tips for low syn things and recipe ideas etc.

Also there's a REALLY ACTUALLY FUNNY blog called "Two Chubby Cubs" (they also have a facebook account you can follow) and their recipes are fucking awesome. It's run by two (grossly) overweight gay guys, with the bawdy, risqué sense of humour you'd expect...they also slag off "Mad Mags" (the owner of Slimming World) quite a lot, and it makes the whole thing quite amusing.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oh I desperately need a diet, I was thinking of doing weight watchers.

10. Sheena

WW is very restrictive- you count things and measure things. Some people work well with that, I guess. SW (which I think is available in the US) you only count for the bad things. Everything they consider good (lean meat, fish, fruit and vegetables, pasta, potatoes, pulses, eggs, rice) is absolutely "free" to have as much as you like of, as long as it isn't flavoured with butter, oil etc...

11. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I think I need to do something like this, I'm not overweight though, I'm 12.5 Stone and 5ft 10, so my BMI is about 24.8 - but I'd like to slim down a bit, maybe a stone or so- do they accept people who only have a little to lose?

12. Sheena

I believe so. They won't let you set a target which is outside your "Healthy" BMI, though, so it's all good...

13. Kalabaliken

Oh cool! Well my lowest healthy weight is 9 stone 4. And there is NO CHANCE I would ever be that thin. Even around 11 stone I start to look a bit TOO thin. We have quite a few slimming clubs here - Weight Watchers, Slimming World and also one called Scottish Slimmers. No idea if there's much difference.

I've also FINALLY cancelled my Cineworld membership, and using the money for a gym membership instead. My induction is next week!

14. Sheena

Then just stick with the gym. It sounds to me more like you need to tone up than anything else...

15. Kalabaliken

Well I need to probably lose a bit, but I guess that would come with more excercise, I've hardly done any in the past year or so. And I need to stop eating cheese.

16. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Swap that tonic for slimline too bbz.

17. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I find the whole SW thing a poor excuse for proper nutritional understanding, but I get why it works.

18. Sheena

DAMN RIGHT! A Gordons and Slimline is only 2.5 syns (other gins are slightly higher, though obviously MUCH more preferable :disco: )

19. Sheena

But isn't every diet that? I mean, we didn't get in this MESS in the first place without things being HARD for us. I've always struggled with my weight- I "need" big portions (OOH ER) to feel full and so my food intake is generally RIDICULOUSLY healthy- it's my booze that fucks me over, together with the odd blowout added in. But for lots of people, they don't know or understand what they need to do to lose weight and so need a "program" to follow. I don't need a program, but I do need the weekly weigh-in to make me almost scared of failure that it makes me actually BOTHER...

Does any of that make sense?

20. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

A woman on my Facebook is doing this and has lost three stone so far (but she was biiiiiig). She posts pictures of practically every meal saying how DELICIOUS they are... I mean they look OK but I bet she's secretly craving pizza and KFC. Banging on about how much she loves TOFU and QUARK doesn't quite RING TRUE

21. Kalabaliken

I love tofu and quark! :)

22. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Me too, but then we would.

I've never heard the term "quark" though, a quick google tells me it's basically cottage cheese? Cottage cheese <3

23. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

what do you DO with quark? I bought a tub on a whim last week and don't have a clue what to do with it, really. I don't really want to just have it on Ryvita.

24. Kalabaliken

It's more popular in Germany than here. It's sort of a cross between cottage cheese and yoghurt. It's very high in protein. They sell it in the style of yogurts here and advertise hat it has 20g of protein. Not sure how that compares with a chicken breast though, but I need to get my protein from somewhere!

25. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Nothing is worth this :grr:

26. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

She seems to mainly use it to make creamy pasta sauces.

27. Sheena

Quark is awful on its own but is really good if you use it in things with enough flavour- so yes, to make cream (ish) sauces for pasta and the suchlike or with a spoon of lemon curd or nutella in- it goes WEIRDLY creamy and is exciting. Or with strawberries and fresh fruit with a dash of sweetener in ...

28. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I was thinking of mixing it with a bit of cocoa and icing sugar (fuck sweetener) and making some sort of pudding filling or topping with it.

29. Sheena

Yep, that would be lovely. Sweetener is basically a SW trick...I wouldn't advise it for those of us looking to be the new BELLA EMBERG, natch :disco:

30. Rachey

Rachey A little bit lesbian

Slimming world is amazing!

As everyone knows I've always struggled with my weight and done a lot of random diets.

I've been on SW for 6 months now and lost almost 2 stone.

It does seem complicated at first while you try to get your head around the free foods, the healthy extras and the syns but once it clicks it's just so easy.

My only issue now is, I'm really struggling to lose more weight. I keep losing 1lb, putting on 1lb and I'm not sure how to change it.

We have started minimising the potato intake which I hope will help, but sheena or anyone else on it...any tips would be great.

31. Rachey

I made slimming world KFC the other day and it was amazing!

Also quark and options chocolate powder is my all time favourite thing.

32. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Absolutely, its impossible not to drink to excess here. I swear if I didn't drink I'd be ripped, I train a lot, eat really healthy, I just fucking love wine.

33. dUb

dUb BUSY

Thanks Sheena - very helpful! I like the look of that Chubby Cubs things especially.

I'm getting used to it all now, and my first weigh-in since starting is this evening so I'm hoping for a good result. I'll be disheartened if it's only 2lbs...

34. Rachey

From what I've seen of others that have done it and myself, the first week you can usually expect a good weight loss result. Good luck!

35. Sheena

Let us know how you get on. And remember, two pounds is actually a significant amount of weight! They usually have sandbags in class with how much a lb actually weighs and it's a surprising amount. Don't be disheartened, as long as you actually have stuck to it and lost, it's a good start!

36. Sheena

Have you tried doing a couple of days on the SP plan? Or reduce your syns a bit...

37. Rachey

I've tried reducing my syns and that helps a bit. I don't really understand what the sp plan is though. The extra easy,green and red, it confuses me.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  38. wendy the goat

wendy the goat PS1 Hagrid is sick of your shit

I'm trying to get K to go with a friend of ours. Any one on my Facebook will know he's a big lad. We do eat reasonably healthy and have reduced portion sizes a hell of a lot but he needs some motivation and encouragement (for someone other than me) which I'm hoping weigh ins will give him.

39. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

Oh I have a herbalife one on my Facebook who does the same.

40. Rachey

I did Herbalife for 3 days. It's the worst diet ever!