Smash (Broadway musical drama)

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by dUb, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

[​IMG]

So Sky FUCKING Atlantic have acquired this. It's getting a lot of good buzz, particularly among the New York theatre community, but I'm not sure its appeal will be wide enough to be the big hit NBC needs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3U_SlMpFJvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good for Katharine McPhee though :disco:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I'm really excited for this, I wonder if they'll keep the musical numbers in context or will they just burst into song halfway through a conversation.

3. Pingu

Pingu Never thought I'd work again

Hmm...

I hope the writing is sharp and clever for this, because by the looks of it the concept could have been written in two minutes on the back of a napkin.

4. Jark

Jark User

I think it will at least get strong ratings out of the gate, it's a great cast and a strong premise. I do wonder if Katharine McPhee is a good enough leading lady though, she seems bland from the previews. The original songs sound a bit dull too.

5. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Beautiful :disco:

6. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Episode 1 has been made available and i thought it was pretty great, the original songs were actually pretty good especially the last duet between ivy and Karen. The plot so far is ok if a bit cliched (the director) and some parts were very romantic comedy by numbers but i liked Debra and her partner and Anjelica Houston is of course amazing.

7. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

I am about to watch. It'll have to do a LOT wrong to NOT be my favourite new show of the year

8. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I'm really annoyed it is on SKY ATLANTIC, someone needs to get the COMPETITION COMMISSION involved because it is outrageous that the channel is solely available through Sky. It's not like I wouldn't PAY FOR IT if it was available to me on my lovely Tivo box.

Anyway, I really WANT this to succeed. It would be lovely for Katharine McPhee to have a hit and NBC seem to behind it so PLEASE be good.

9. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Is there any news of ratings yet or did it only premiere online?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

NBC released it through iTunes and similar sites, the proper debut will be after the superball and then it will air following The Voice.

11. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

WATCHED it

LIKED it

NOT sure that its appeal is wide enough for it to be a hit

12. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Who knew Katharine McPhee would be in this position just a year ago! I hope she/they capitalize on it with a new album this year... I already heard she's worked with Ryan Tedder

13. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Must say she comes off as pretty COLD and not particularly likeable in the pilot, just like she did on Idol. Not sure we're looking at her STAR IS BORN moment...

14. Jacques

Jacques doing it for my lover

The original songs seemed a lot better with actual performances, but not ones to download.

I have been so incredibly excited to watch this and so far it is NOT disappointing.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

The good thing is that it's on NBC (where good shows no one watches go) so unless it's a disaster it will survive.

i agree about Katherine McPhee not being terribly likeable, i can see myself rooting for ivy eventually.

16. Jacques

Ivy came across a lot more vunerable/likeable than I expected her to. She'll probably get her bitch on soon enough though.

17. Jark

Jark User

Katharine is nowhere near a strong enough actor to be a lead in anything...

18. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

A clip from a new song, "Touch Me". Should be warmly received here :disco:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1382435" frameborder="0"></iframe>

19. Jark

Jark User

Sounds amazing! I really don't like that they're pushing Katharine McPhee so hard though when (i) Debra Messing is the lead character at least in the pilot, (ii) Megan Hilty is much much better than McPhee in every sense and I fear Kat's character will win the role which would be so very DAFT, and (iii) she's hardly the sort of big name that will entice viewers! You've got ANJELICA HUSTON! Use that!

20. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Picked up for a second season!

21. Jark

Jark User

My fears about this show were unfounded in the end. What a brilliant ensemble! Some of the characters are downright VILE and I love it.

22. funky

funky INCAPABLE

would I enjoy this? the trailers look good and I heart Debra Messing

Is it being shown in the UK? I'm assuming not yet because I imagine there would be promotion everywhere for it.

23. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Sky Atlantic have got it ( :bruised: ), no idea when it's starting

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  24. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I should have known...!

Another show that won't be available on iTunes, then

25. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Sky Atlantic isn't a great fit for it, I don't think. I see it as more of a More 4/C4 affair. OH WELL :manson:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  26. Jacques

Been loving this. The full version of Touch Me is AMAZING and Ivy has turned into a great bitch.

27. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Not even prime time NBC is safe from the charms of Jessie J - there's a Smash version of Who You Are

If it's any consolation, it's pretty shit.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  28. Jacques

Oh I loved it (probably more the scene it was used in though). It features on the upcoming soundtrack album [out at the start of May] so I'm hoping a full version is on there.

The show itself is also great at the moment, so much DRAMA in the last episode.

29. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'm just catching up with this on Sky Atlantic now. Enjoyed the pilot a lot. Optimistic it can run with the momentum from what I've read here.

30. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

I'm two episodes in and like it, but there are some AWFUL dialogue exchanges, so it's a bit like Burlesque (as I had hoped) after all.

Niles, as I call him, is a cunt, but a good balance for the annoying gay character who is partners with Debra Messing. The guy from Mistresses is looking thinner AND younger.

So far, Angelica Houston hasn't had much to do. Can she sing?

31. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

This is lovely, but NOT REALLY

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rsPREgllv3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  32. straightorbroken

If that's from the show, I hope she's blowing out smoke or looking OLD and SAD in front of a mirror with unforgivable lighting.

33. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I'm watching this at UK pace too, Let Me Be Your Star was a total MOMENT :disco:

I'm loving Anjelica and Debra very much so (surprise surprise).

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  34. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

J Hud is joining the cast in S2. Hopefully something along the lines of Uma's role.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  35. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Apparently this show has become the subject of a popular phenomenon known as HATE WATCHING :D Poor Kat McPhee is getting particularly vitriolic reviews.

36. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

That hate-watching thing applies to everyone I know who watches Glee. They just come together to bitch about it after viewing.

37. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Actual journalists use 'sidebar' as a word? I thought it was just Suedehead.

38. straightorbroken

Wendy Williams uses sidebar.

Finally started with this again. I'm on episode 4 and the blonde girl is being a passive-aggressive cunt, so it's getting quite good obviously.

39. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

My friend's been bugging me to watch this so I finally watched the pilot last night and I loved it.

Katharine McPhee's boyfriend! :o

40. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Having missed its run on Sky Atlantic and not bothered downloading, I've been watching this on Sky Living (started on Mondays at 10pm, before it was moved to midnight, and now 1am :D ) and it's SO BLOODY GOOD!

I LOVE IT SO MUCH

That's it