Smoking Poll 2016/ 2017

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Commotion, Jan 7, 2016.

?

TICK ALL THAT APPLY

1. I smoke 10+ a day

10.4%
  2. I smoke fewer than 10 a day

10.4%
  3. I smoke, but not every day

3.0%
  4. I am a "social smoker" (I.e. only when pissed)

9.0%
  5. I am an ex smoker

10.4%
  6. I smoke more than ever

3.0%
  7. I smoke less than I used to

7.5%
  8. I am actively trying to quit

3.0%
  9. I have successfully quit in the past, but relapsed

10.4%
  10. I would like to quit someday, but not yet

10.4%
  11. I never intend to quit

3.0%
  12. I have never been a smoker

50.7%
  13. Other (please specify)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I can see you with a pipe.

2. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Is Week 3 of not smoking traditionally the worst? Week 1 was easy and Week 2 was alright as well, but now it's getting crunchy. I don't think I've stopped for this long since 2009 when I managed a whopping OH NOT VERY WOW six months. I mean I AM taking the edge off with a few tiny brandies but I just cannot escape the ever-circling notion that a fag would put everything to rights, even though I know it most certainly WOULDN'T :grr:

3. Ag

Ag User

Yeah week 3 is bullshit. It seems like a distant memory now, I seem to recall week 5 or 6 being a turning point. Then about three months to feel like a non smoker.

4. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Ta luv. I'll carry on with the brandy and steel myself on the fags front. To be honest, it's quite easy at home because I've not smoked indoors for years and I've gone right off the hokey cokey to the balcony :zombie:

On a related smoking note, can I say how much I fucking despise VAPING and all its faux edginess. There's someone at work who treats it like some sort of substitute dummy. I even loathed it when I WAS smoking

5. lolly

Quite a few of my friends have given up smoking and are now vaping. They seem to be divided on how they refers to themselves now.

6. Ag

Ag User

Vaping was only ever an escape route for me. I don't really like it and only vape when I have a drink.

I don't love it and I don't think it's cool (I have no idea any more), but it seems to have killed off smoking like nothing has before and for that reason I'm a supporter. My remaining smoking friends struggle to source lighters, when in need.

7. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

True actually, although another reason for my aversion is that I went to Prohibition Vapes in Hoxton the other day (which looked quite exciting from the outside) and there was a whole air of AREN'T WE CLEVER, with some tit showing off his fucking smoke rings. Mind you, that sort of attitude is probably just Shoreditchian rather than specifically VAPIAN

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. lolly

I do feel a little uncomfortable when people almost fetishise with their vaping equipment as if they are crack pipes.

9. Ag

Ag User

Obviously there's quite a few here. Our first one we used was so low rent. A tatty sofa, a laptop, a display case and a stoned shop guy. It was weird and uncomfortable and terribly low rent. I didn't enjoy the plumes of smoke being puffed around by stoned chavs.

The other one was all art deco and therefore the plumes of smoke were much cooler.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  10. Ag

Ag User

There's a guy at work, who has vape that looks like a device James Bond would carry around. He has a bag full of vape juice. He even makes his own, which I think is asking for trouble.

11. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I make my own.

It's not really difficult. It's not like I formulate the propylene glycol myself.

12. Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony

Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony User

I used to be a bit of a social smoker. I never really got a great deal from it really - just used it as an opportunity to hang with the cool kids on the side of the curb.

13. Ag

Ag User

250 days. Beautiful.

14. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:disco:

I'm approaching the end of Week 1. Again :grr:

15. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I love smoking.

16. Commotion

Commotion User

Completely smoke free?

Well done

I am now on day 281 (although there has been the occasional slip up and I have had 1 cigarette on about 3 separate occasions since August last year).

17. Ag

Ag User

Yup! No slip ups!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

18. Ag

Ag User

I got pissed on Eurovision night and didn't even vape.

19. Ag

Ag User

It took me 286 days (9 months and 12 days) to succumb and have a few on Friday night.

I can still smell them. Gross. Never again!

20. lolly

You were drinking, presumably?

It's no biggie, anyway. There are plenty of non smokers who very occasionally have a couple when they are out. That's all it was.

21. Ag

Ag User

Yes, I was drinking. I've managed to rationalise it all, so I'm not that bothered. A little disappointed that I didn't do a full year without anything. All my ex smoking friends have succumbed at some point, so that was reassuring too.

22. lolly

Did any of them slip up and then enjoy it?

23. Ag

Ag User

My mate had a night without her kids and got drunk with her sister and they smoked a 10 pack between them and loved it, but none of my thirty something friends have gone back to smoking.

Younger people seem to have less will power I have noticed.

24. lolly

I think it means more to you when you're older, so you make a stronger decision. And I think you care less about health stuff when you're younger. People tend to think they are invincible then. It's only when you're in your thirties that you start to realise you're not.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  25. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

It's always the stink after a relapse that makes me go EEEEWWWWW. My relapses are only caused by drinking these days and the "Oh, this'll help with the hangover" lie to self, but I'm so over drinking and (particularly) hangovers anyway. Bit suicidal? Incapable? Chaotic? Stupid? Well THAT WAS WORTH IT!

26. Ag

Ag User

This is basically my 30s summarised.

27. Ag

Ag User

It was basically hangovers out smoking on the death knell for me. I could actually not smoke all day on hangovers.

28. lolly

I've always had a bit of an issue around loss of control that has prevented me getting absolutely shit faced on more than a handful (or perhaps two) occasions in my life, but I simply cannot handle hangovers any more. And thankfully I seem to have some sort of inner switch in me that stops me going beyond that point of no return.

29. Ag

Ag User

My inner switch is completely faulty.

30. Ag

Ag User

I can still smell it from Friday!! Awful.

31. Ag

Ag User

1 year!

32. ameraal

ameraal trash

good job.

i've been toying with the idea of quitting. nothing serious though. currently i don't smoke from sunday through thursday, but then i'll have an entire pack on friday and saturday night when i'm working...

33. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

Growing up, I've been indoctrinated that all social smoking and puffing on selected occasions are non-existent categories because smoking is an uncontrollable vice :daf:

34. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've hated smoking since I was a boy. I used to hang out of the window gasping dramatically when my Dad lit a cigarette in the house :D

Since then, NOTHING'S CHANGED

35. ButterTart

ButterTart Welcome to die

Good on you.

I'm no closer to quitting. If anything, I've been smoking MORE recently - I've had a bit of a shitter today so I've all but chain-smoked my way through it.

36. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

I did take a few "draws" when I was 8, but coughed hard so it doesn't count. I don't mind the smell in passing, but when it gets to walking behind one of them I start to get pissed off.

37. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

I really do think that there should be a law whereby it's illegal to smoke walking down a busy road before about 6pm. I hate having to hold my breath as I frog march past.

38. Devil

Devil I Need A House

:disco: Well done.

I actually got a vape on Saturday. Whether this will actually assist is another matter but I was thinking given it costs about £12 a pack in NZ/Australia now it might be good to try and be at least cut down significantly before I head there at Christmas.

39. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

At the very least they should hold the fag out to the side others are least likely to speed-mince past them.

40. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

Some of these vapes now look ridiculous. One guy at work I thought he was smoking a WALKMAN

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016