Social Networking

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Christian, May 18, 2011.

1. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

And particularly social networking apps on smartphones. The market has EXPLODED over the past year and I'm wondering what the next BIG THING is. Sure, we all know Facebook (and we all know how MySpace KICKED the BUCKET quite spectacularly) but a whole host of new ones have popped up recently.

Path is the one I'm really liking - you take pictures, take people/places and add them to your stream, which is limited to 50 people (apparently close friends only). Now I'm using it as a daily visual diary of where I've been and what I've done and I really love it for that. Taking pictures of mundane places and things becomes actually quite interesting 3 months later when you'd QUITE FORGOTTEN what it was you were doing on a particular day. I keep quite a detailed diary anyway, but it's LOVELY to have a visual references of the year to date.

Foursquare is another I use quite a lot - WHY I'm not sure as it's inherently POINTLESS (though the DEALS that crop up more frequently are rendering that MOOT) but why not. Gowalla does the same thing and much prettier but if noone's on it, why bother?

Get Glue is one I got a few weeks ago - you tag what you're listening to/watching and get recommendations from there. The iphone app is BARE BONES CRAP though and not very PRETTY :evil:

Color is the big controversial one - $40m of start-up capital for an app that lumps together photos taken in the same location. Hmmm... the Jury's OUT.

Any MORE for ANY MORE?

2. Julie Andrews

Julie Andrews THE HILLS ARE ALIVE

I've absolutely NO IDEA what you're ON ABOUT :D

3. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I don't GET Foursquare. I don't care where you are unless you have something interesting to put with it. Same goes with Places on Facebook really.

Get Glue is another one I don't get. I don't care what you're watching on TV either!

I've not heard of Color, that sounds quite interesting in a personal photo diary kind of way. Is it for iPhone only?

4. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I'm not sure if Color is iOS only. It launched about a month ago (and sunk in a sea of terrible publicity :D but I suspect it may be back).

Path is the one you want for a personal photo diary. Color is just... STRANGE. And rubbish.

5. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I do WONDER why I'm futzing about on them myself to be HONEST

6. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Sorry I meant Path. I shall investigate.

HTC has a good FriendStream App. Which pulls all your social apps into one. But I find things like Facebook and Twitter very separate things, so it's not for me.

7. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

http://www.path.com/

iOS only right now but Android/Blackberry are on their way according to their FAQ.

Facebook is a very broad/blunt tool for me - stuff like Path is honed down to particular people.

8. Mats

Mats User

IT'S ALL SHIT

9. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I'm actually sick of Facebook and Twitter at the moment, and the only reason I've not deleted myself from them is that it makes keeping in touch with friends easier.

Places and FourSquare are horrendous concepts. I do not want to surrender every last bit of privacy in my life.

Can't see myself getting into Path either.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I think I reached a point where I just don't care for facebook anymore, it's just a way for some attention seeking people to go on and on about uninteresting shit they do.

11. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I think i'd quite LIKE that but the video makes it look a little stalkerish! :D

12. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Isn't that sort of the point of social networking sites??

13. Mats

Mats User

yes but add to that people who write about when they go to the loo and post pictures of what they ate for lunch and you have the recipe for DESPAIR

14. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Exactly. I'm not going to be RUDE and delete people I like in real life but all the people 'checking in' to Starbucks or Pizza Express need to THINK ON. Who gives a fuck?

But on the flipside, I love seeing photos and statuses of friends who don't live close - it's lovely to still know what they're up to on a regular basis. It's just a bit of a catch 22.

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Well quite :D

But I don't have any friends on it, I just use it as a personal photo journal :D

Which is probably missing at least PART of the point but it suits me FINE.

16. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Facebook is a million times better when you don't add your sisters friends brother that you said hi to the previous night. Keep it close and it works really well. And what's with the "facebook will be obsolete in a few years"? Facebook got it so right by keeping the website clean and simple. No one will ever move away from that.

The other social networking bollocks I don't care for ONE JOT. They don't seem to be about friendships but gloating that someone is in McDonalds with Shantell and Donna and YOU'RE NOT!

17. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Facebook, as far as I'm concerned, is more essential than having a mobile phone. It's how all my mates keep in touch with each other.

No facebook = no social life.

18. funky

funky FIRE AND BLOOD

I don't really see Facebook as social networking any more. The point of social networking is to be part of a specific group, like moopy. Facebook is a portal or a platform. It's no different to google, or the BBC. It's just a part of life.

Twitter remains a mystery to me. Why anyone would want to read the ramblings of random people simply because they are famous is quite beyond me. What exactly is interesting about it? The fact that they earn millions a year but still can't spell?

19. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

SOME PEOPLE obviously don't follow Lauren Harries then. My life has been somewhat enriched ever since I was Laurened.

20. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

I use twitter a lot and although I follow a few celebrities I generally interact with people I know or followers of followers. It's much more a social commentary platform for me. Whilst everyone gets so agitated about their facebook newsfeed being drowned in people talking about the X Factor, on twitter it isn't half as intrusive and you can get a much wider scope of opinion through the hashtags.

Because twitter is the social network of choice for celebrities it has this (in my opinion incorrect) image of being for crazed stans to tweet their favourite celeb, I guess it depends who you follow and what you look at so it is subjective but I don't take much enjoyment in continually tweeting a celebrities purpose employed staff that pretends to be them.

I don't really know what I'm talking about but essentially I think twitter is amazing.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  21. Robbie

Robbie User

This.

I can't see the appeal of Twitter - it's just full of people rambling on and on about nothing in particular and about nothing that interests me. I'm surprised Twitter has lasted as long as it has - surely there has to be something less numb skulling boring ready to overtake it in popularity?

22. funky

funky FIRE AND BLOOD

well there clearly are EXCEPTIONS. Although that's not so much TWITTER as STALKING MENTAL CELEBRITIES FOR YOUR OWN AMUSEMENT

I endorse this. It has contributed to moopy greatly over the years.

23. funky

funky FIRE AND BLOOD

it exists because journalists use it as an avenue to start crap stories and fill their columns. Unlike facebook twitter did not grow through word of mouth. It grew through various uninspiring journos wittering on about what Jordan said to Kerry Katona about her lovelife, etc etc

YAWN

24. Ag

Ag Just tax the stupid people. And let them die

Facebook is as essential as a house phone was prior to about 1997... It's just another form of communication. I know a few people without it, who just don't seem to get it's purpose...

25. [insert your best offer here]

[insert your best offer here] User

Twitter I only read to get some breaking news information. If something is happening somewhere in this world, you can be sure there is also someone near to twitter about it. And sometimes I read some posts by "celebrities"

26. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I have a really stupid twitter question.

When you re-tweet something, how do you add your own text to it? When I press the RT button it automatically just re-posts the tweet I'm re-tweeting.

27. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

You need to quote the tweet, I do not know how to do this on a computer however, I can only do it from my phone.

28. wendy the goat

wendy the goat PS1 Hagrid is sick of your shit

Copy+paste innit?

29. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

I'm getting a bit bored of facebook, but I stay there cos it's good to stay in touch with the people that live really far away and I hardly see them. So, it's good to see what they're up to, photos and stuff.
    I started using twitter so that I can follow celebrities, but in the end they're so boring and uninteresting that I only have 1 or 2 famous people that I follow. I mainly follow real people with real problems and I read their opinions on anything happening in the world. It's like an ever-expanding forum the way I see it. And it's customisable really, so it is as interesting as the people you follow. I go through a nice 'culling' every now and again and get rid of the ones I find irritating.

30. Samuel

Samuel User

Despite the overwhelming negativity towards the platform in this thread, I do hope you're all following your own flesh and blood?

@MoopyForums

31. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I don't really like using the Twitter website. It seems better suited for smartphones.

32. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

LINKEDIN

P.S. lol

33. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I only really use SKYPE thesedays. I guess it's not a social networking thing, but it's bloody marvellous.

34. Mats

Mats User

my grandma got this and she's wanting to skype every other second. calm down old crow!

35. Devil

Devil I Need A House

THIS.

You don't have to spend your life on it but now especially since I live overseas if I want to contact anyone back home/who has now moved to a different country it is 100% the obvious and easiest way. If you spend 20 hours a day on it with 2,000 friends then it's a bit silly, but as far as using it for genuine contact then it's an irreplaceable tool.

36. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

You horrible little turd of a grandson. You won't be able to SKYPE HER when she's DEAD

37. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

I'm very conflicted about one of my current FB friends... she's a woman I used to work with back home. On the one hand, she often makes me laugh unintentionally with her very random music video posting (with no accompanying explanations of choosing said song) as she has a bizarre set of tastes. On the other hand, she's started SPAMMING MY FEED with her "Status Shuffle" updates. Anyone who doesn't know, Status Shuffle is basically choosing pre-made statuses from a large selection of other people's and re-posting them. And it is as shit as it sounds.
    I MEAN, WHAT?

38. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

Oh, both Facebook and Twitter are definitely essential (Facebook far moreso than Twitter of course) - without the former I really can't see how anyone can meaningfully keep in touch with a large group of friends. My best friend decided in one of his bizarre autistic piques that he couldn't stand having something quite so public as a Facebook profile (without a wall, which he expressly removed!) and got rid. It's difficult enough keeping in contact with him anyway as he goes to Oxford, but he pretty much immediately cut himself off from all organisation of social events over the holiday and counting him in's become a massive chore really to the point where I'm afraid people just aren't going to bother with him anymore. Not in a spiteful sense, but it's become almost an anti-social statement to not have Facebook these days.

On Twitter, I think people tend to be quite pig-headed in their dismissal of it - it's what you make of it really. It goes hand in hand with a lot of complaints about Facebook when people say they don't care about what someone had for breakfast - don't follow such dull people then! (Or on Facebook, hide their statuses - it's just as simple as a click.) I use Twitter pretty much as an opinion gatherer and to get breaking news - who cares if it's someone I don't know? Let's face it - we're all on online forums with people we didn't know when we first joined here to begin with!

39. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

:D

this is why i will never get skype
    i hate one on one online or phone conversations - one word: tedious

40. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

I got invited to CAM TO CAM (and not in the standard sense) by an old schoolfriend on Skype the other week. It was a most disconcerting offer.

Last edited: May 20, 2011