Sonic Mania (PS4/XO)

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Slave, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

But didn't that only make sense because it was Sonic 2?

Anyway glad it's living up to it!
    I just need one more killer app to tip me over to getting a Switch (not that are any here at the moment)

2. COB

COB Pissbaby

This is amazing! Apart from Flying Battery zone which is unfair and has a RUDE VILE PIG for a boss :argh:

3. Slave

Slave User

Flying Battery was probably my lowlight.

4. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Are you there @COB ? It's me, Diddy

I presume you've been SLAIN by this game

5. Slave

Slave User

I've got all the medals for the blue sphere stages. Stuck on four chaos emeralds, although there is a level select on the Switch version so I've had a sneaky peek at the final zone.

6. Slave

Slave User

Sonic Mania Plus is coming this summer!

Physical retail edition with two new characters and an "encore mode"

[​IMG]

COB likes this.
  7. COB

COB Pissbaby

Ray and Mighty! This is too much, as someone who begged my parents to take me to Hamleys basement to play Segasonic when it came out I'm quite beside myself :o

8. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I finally got round to play and finish this. It was better than I expected in terms of gameplay ideas (and music!).

It really feels like they moved the dial a bit from Sonic 3 rather than just cutting and pasting a new fan game so total props to Mr Whitehead.

A solid 8.

9. COB

COB Pissbaby

Here's a trailer for Sonic Mania Plus, I'm quacking etc:

10. Slave

Slave User

Apparently if you already own the game, the 'expansion' is only £3.99, which is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately I want the physical edition with reversible Mega Drive sleeve.

According to some speculation I've read, Angel Island is fully playable this time. As is Sunset Hill, although that isn't from the original series so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. From the footage shown, it just looks like they've re-skinned Green Hill.

11. COB

COB Pissbaby

Yeah, I'm definitely buying it physically this time - and on the Switch so I can play it in bed :cool:

It'd be interesting to see non-Mega Drive classic stages represented, but if we're going that route my first choice would be BRIDGE ZONE from the Master System (with the amazing music Janft allegedly ripped off for Together Again).

12. Slave

Slave User

I wonder if they'll do that for the (inevitable) sequel. There are loads of decent 2D games they could borrow from - and I wouldn't even be against them doing some of the 3D zones in 2D (although that didn't work entirely well in Sonic Generations).

A lot of the reviews praised the new zones, so I guess there might be more of those in a sequel. I also wouldn't be against a graphical overhaul - I know that the whole thing about the pixels is that it's a continuation of the original series, but some of the sprites look awful on a big TV.

I'm glad SEGA have basically been forced into giving this a retail release, though.

13. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

OMG I just played this for the first time

I’m gagged, gooped, shook and slain (in that order)

It’s like the Mandela effect but in a good way, I want to cry pure crystal nerd tears

COB likes this.
  14. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Mork calling @COB , come in @COB

Please mourn for my sizzled skeleton

15. COB

COB Pissbaby

Pressing F to pay respects :cry:

I was playing it again the other week, it really is fab - not sure I'll ever get over some of those Act 2 remixes :shock:

Diddy likes this.
  16. Slave

Slave User

So happy for you @Diddy

Sonic Mania is literally the only thing that has made it worth being a Sonic fan since Generations.

Enjoy it before the movie KILLS THE FRANCHISE.

Diddy likes this.
  17. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Omg exactly what I thought! I loved Generations too but this is next level.

I love the concept, a fairly straightforward go through an old level with hints that things aren’t quite the same this time for Act 1, and then a full upgrade for Act 2.

Green Hill was a headfuck, starts just like GH1-1 and then “wait, isn’t that from Emerald Hill?” “Oh you can get the sonic 3 shields!” “Oh shit I burned down the rotating thorn platform”

Peekaboo likes this.
  18. Slave

Slave User

Yeah, it’s a really smart reimagining.

I still think some of the zones they picked were a bit SHIT (Lava Reef, Flying Battery) but they throw such a barrage of new ideas into the mix - ie. Flying Battery Act 2 essentially being Wing Fortress from Sonic 2 - that it’s never anything less than interesting, and often far more than that.

Chemical Plant Act 2 is probably the biggest TRIUMPH of the game for me. I still play it with a huge smile on my face - and the boss at the end of the stage :D

19. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Holy Christ @COB you weren’t kidding about the Flying Battery, what a comedown after all that fun. Why on earth did Act 2 have to be so big!

The boss too, I guess it had been quite easy until then, but what a sod!

20. Slave

Slave User

Yeah THAT boss is horrible.

21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I mean the concept is alright but why the fuck is he a spider? I was on my 9th minute too because I’d been over every square inch of the fortress.

Anywhere there is still plenty to like, maybe just not there. I unwittingly found my first chaos emerald there too so hopefully it means I don’t have to go back

22. Slave

Slave User

I wouldn’t worry about the chaos emeralds so much.

Complete the game and then go back through the levels and farm the giant ring at the start of Studiopolis. You can get to it in about 15 seconds.

23. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh you don’t need to find each giant ring?

24. COB

COB Pissbaby

Nope, you can go through any of them! You'll always get the same special stage until you beat it, then you get the next one (they get progressively harder of course!).

25. COB

COB Pissbaby

We didn't have Sonic Mania Adventures posted in here before, so here it is:

Tee Lopes is clearly such a fucking NERD and superfan, throwing in musical cues from Knuckles Chaotix and all kinds of other stuff :D

They also did an extra episode for Christmas featuring the return of the queen:

26. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I also opened the Encore thing, is that an extra game?

27. Slave

Slave User

It’s a remix of the original Sonic Mania.

Plus it has a weird character-rotation system.

28. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Picked up a bit of momentum again after Flying Battery, Press garden (bit of a wtf concept, is he printing propaganda? Who for?!) but that ninja boss was good.

The boss of Stardust Speedway :disco:, though I didn’t really see what he was made of at the end because Tails got stuck behind him and fucked him up.

The Western One was alright, felt a bit Bubsy the Bobcat though. I loved ones of the sound effects with the magic boss, is that from one of the Master System games??

Hydrocity was a great upgrade, I never got that excited about it in Sonic 3 but that was good. I couldn’t work out the boss though, I killed him with less than 2 seconds left.

Had to stop to go out after I destroyed Azerbaijan

29. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I thought since I’d had a drink, I would give it another spin. Still quite fun but ... :)

I got shitty on my first Knuckles playthrough. Quite fun but the Studipolis helicopter boss was nigh impossible. Knuckles can’t jump high enough so I ended up getting. Hit by every missile and dying 8 times in about 2 minutes.

Then I gave up and switched to the Encore thing, made it as far as Wing Fortress and that fucking spider boss. UGH!!!!!!!!

30. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I don’t think I’ll get all the chaos emeralds either, I can’t play that special stage without wanting to be sick :(