Sonic The Hedgehog 4

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by MAMA, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Leaked footage: watch before sega pulls it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jk6zXHrf_7U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jk6zXHrf_7U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Better quality w/sound:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M3aEBQ-gxxA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M3aEBQ-gxxA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Slave

Slave User

Ok, well first thoughts are the actual physics need sorting - Sonic seems very floaty in the video, but hopefully the controls will be tightened up. Also, I do hope that level select is not the entire game because there were four zones + special stage.

But besides that, it's 2D Sonic. It's bright, looks nice, looks fun!

4. Slave

Slave User

Critics reactions seem to be quite POSITIVE on the whole. The fanboys are up in arms about certain aspects. There certainly seemed to be a few BUGS evident, but let's hope they're cleared up.

To be honest, I think it was probably leaked on purpose, to gauge feedback on the new character design and physics because then rather than people say "oh look, Sega have fucked up AGAIN", the company can use the feedback but under the line "It's not FINISHED".

Maybe.

5. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

I'm pretty pissed off Dimps are making this...

6. Slave

Slave User

Not really a surprise though, they've done some of the best work on the series (i.e. the 2D stages from 'Unleashed' and all of the handheld exports) since the original.

Besides, aren't most of the "original" team either working for different companies or dead? I dread to think how fast THOSE graves have been turning.

7. Slave

Slave User

So the first playtest of what is probably the "finished" product gives some details away. And no surprise, it's got little more than a middling review. OH WELL Sega:

8. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Well the Sonic DS games weren’t bad at all, although of course they had the chance to make it 'Super Mario Bros. DS' amazing and they’ve just released another average Sonic game.

Everyone is going to be buying it regardless.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  9. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Good grief, how HARD can it be to make a 2D Sony game these days? Sega are pretty clueless most of the times. No wonder they lost the hardware wars.

10. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Why don't you send SCEE an email and ask them?

It wasn't because of software.

11. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

:D I had to read it twice before getting the SCEE reply. Poor Son(y)c.

12. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

'tard :p

13. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

14. Slave

Slave User

Looks lovely.

15. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

It looks a bit WEIRD, I don't know. Maybe I'm just too used to old-skool 2D Sonic.

It's like those 3D renderings of planned building complexes, with 2D people positioned around the area

16. Slave

Slave User

That's pretty much what it will be, except Sonic himself will be 3D rendered as well.

It might look a bit crummy in stills (though I still think it looks nice) but Street Fighter IV is proof that 3D backgrounds and a 2D plane can work VERY well in action.

17. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I'm sure I'll love it, but still. It's like in school where you just learnt how to make things look 3D and then set off making everything look as roundy as humanly possible.

That flying wasp thing :(

We need a BADNIK rate :disco:

-1 Those cunty crabs in Metropolis

18. Slave

Slave User

Having replayed Sonic 3 & Knuckles there are several in there that PISS ME OFF. The bouncy spikes for one thing.

19. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

What do you think of the Splash Hill Zone music... ?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-dyhhBXXoeQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-dyhhBXXoeQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:hitler:

20. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I'm beginning to think I just CAN'T be satisfied. A lot of the post-Knuckles output was utter dogshit, and now after all this they have done the unthinkable and made a game that is literally Sonic 4 and still I'm feeling a bit HMMMM about it

21. Slave

Slave User

I'm nervous more than anything. The originals still have selling power almost 20 years on. If they fuck up this sequel, there's really nothing left to go back to.

22. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Have either of you played Sonic '06? If you see it on the cheap pick it up. Its worth it just to see how bad it really is.

23. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

The demo is still available on the Xbox I think… piece of shit.

24. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

haha it is too! I bought it in '06 without seeing any reviews. I got home and was a little suspicious at the dodgy story. Then the endless loading screens kicked in and I started getting a little shitty.

Then, I actually managed to find where the fuck Stage 1 was and used up 3 continues - on the first level - because the game handles that fucking badly.

Luckily there was alcohol nearby to soothe the savage beast because I was ready to roll some old people.

25. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Those graphics look pretty stunning.

On a slightly related topic, I noticed in Tesco for the DS a Sonic compilation with Sonic 1,2,3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Only £19. BARGAIN.

26. loomer

loomer User

Oh I love this

It was the only thing I could play on my PSP

Any non-platform RPG games that required a brain was too taxing

27. Ekkostar

Ekkostar How To Succeed In Business...

I'm curious about this since I love the original series and the Adventure series, but Sonic seems to share Mariah's track record for crapola. It's sad that the last decent game was Sonic Riders and ANY franchise could have done that.

28. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

29. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

When is this hot mess OUT?

30. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Watching that video I was just wanting to scream at the person playing to press the down button when going fast so Sonic spins and you get through enemies with speed.

31. Slave

Slave User

It looks just "ok" for me - but there again, the gameplay (and style) differences from Sonic 1 - Sonic 3 were pretty substantial so I'm not writing it off.

I just want it to be good (and longer than four acts which is all I've seen on the level selects so far).

32. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

I was quite excited about this until watching the video. And then I realised that, these days, I'm after something more from a computer game than running through a level, easily being able to avoid enemies, collecting rings and trying to get to the end extremely quickly.

At least being able to collect upgrades (other than a shield that dissolves the moment you hit a baddie) or something different would be fun.

Sonic was great in its day and I'm glad a great game is finally (hopefully!) coming out for the new generation of younger game players but I'm not sure I'd do much else than rent this and play for an hour or two.

(or come round one of your houses)

33. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Thats why its going for the episodic downloadable title market. Ideally it needs to be priced to make it a satisfying impulse buy.

34. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Sonic’s been shit since the first one guys.

35. Slave

Slave User

Fuck off with that blatant attempt at ignorant shit stirring.

36. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

37. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

pffft 'sif!

38. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

39. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

The whole game has been leaked... 3 months before release. FAILBOATSAILINOURWAY.

40. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

This has been delayed until 'late 2010' :o

Sega have said they're 'retooling' the game and will be taking 'fan criticism' into account ... hopefully the criticism about it handling like shit and having dodgy gameplay, rather than the TRUE SONIC FANS moaning about the game not having 800 new characters for them to write FURRY FAN FICTION about :gross: