SorB's top 50 computer games

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by straightorbroken, Nov 26, 2014.

1. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

Because I'm such an extensive gamer (although I stopped after the 90s, enough guys on the internet are still calling me a huge time-wasting game-player anyway), I can think of no better countdown to share my expert pixel prose, whether it makes sense to anyone but myself or not. And since the demo version of Gina G's Next 2 U remains fallen down the back of the internet, I won't be going into montage video frenzy mode, so will rely on pictures instead. Game on, bitchez.

[​IMG]

2. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

Yes! I already see a few favourites of mine nestling in that picture.

3. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Signed :disco:

4. Slave

Slave User

I hope that's not Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island I see. AWFUL

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Thankfully not, looks like one of the Game Gear/Master System sequels

I did spot Spiceworld the Game though :D

6. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

If Jet Set Willy isn't there then I will be very concerned.

7. Slave

Slave User

Bubble Bobble worryingly absent :(

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

That was impossible!! For the amount of times I played it on my AMSTRAD, I don't actually remember enjoying it! Except for some glitch we discovered where you could jump through the floor somewhere and end up stuck in the library books :D

9. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Rainbow Islands just has to be here.

10. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I also love the Sega version of Tetris - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

11. Slave

Slave User

Cammy vs. Chun Li in Street Fighter II was probably my first QOL experience

12. Mugatu

Mugatu onlyfans.com/mugatu

King was such a great one to play as on Tekken. His combo moves looked deadly. Although obviously high-class bitch Nina Williams was also pretty good too.

13. straightorbroken

So let's get this no expense spared countdown off the ground then.

50. PILOTWINGS 64
    [​IMG]
    Developers: Nintendo/Paradigm Simulation
    Platform: Nintendo 64
    Release date: June 1996 (JP), September 1996 (NA), March 1997 (PAL)

At first glance, this can easily be discarded as a picturesque demonstration exercise, but beyond taking in some pretty exceptional graphics (that still impress me at least - which is helpful since taking pictures is part of the challenge), the game itself is equally wonderful and deceptively difficult to master. This is due not only to the detailed environments you are exploring, but the 3D joystick allowing, for better or worse, unparalleled precision. As a launch title, it was undoubtedly overshadowed by Nintendo's flagship 3D-debut plat-former (which just happened to be one of the greatest games of all time no less), but was also a perfect companion for utilizing the console's unique controls. You're not simply flying through hoops, there are other factors such as the weather and the environment itself providing risks that require constant consideration and planning in your execution, which can be just as tense as it is pleasurable (in fact, the screams indicating disaster I've always found rather amusing). Effectively, it's something of a flight simulator. To balance this, there are cartoonish characters with familiar, or even slightly offensive, characteristics to get to grips with in terms of playing a game. The memorable Mario rock is appealing, showcasing classic Nintendo imagery without distracting from the game's serious composure. The sound compliments the vast environments, and overall sophisticated presentation. As a drawback, it required a lot of patience, the N64 seemed to have a terrible fondness for foggy weather, which means that for first-go flights you aren't always able to predict faraway objects until you know you should have factored them in. A slick, precise simulation that demands concentration, challenging controls, and delivers lasting enjoyment through the mastering of these controls, the sometimes quite awe-inspiring visuals and near-professional simulation achieved.

14. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Fantastic game. Betters the SNES version in EVERYTHING and has bundles of charm. You can see Miyamoto's fingertips all over it. My favourite (besides Birdman) is clearly the hand glider.

15. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

The 3DS version was not a patch on this, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Such a missed opportunity.

16. ButterTart

ButterTart Drop dead cynical

I see Micro Machines and Diddy Kong Racing. I have a strong feeling I'll enjoy this list.

17. straightorbroken

49. EARTHWORM JIM
    [​IMG]
    Developer: Shiny Entertainment / Playmates Interactive Entertainment
    Platform: Sega Mega Drive
    Release: August 1994

Highly praised side-scrolling 2D platformer developed by Shiny Entertainment, boasting distinct graphics with a hand-drawn feel, suitably fluid animation, off-beat humour, popular culture references and a high quality soundtrack. It's a classic tale of regular garden worm squished by a fallen object from outer space and transformed into a giant sized alien worm via a special suit, and yet somehow felt new and exciting to play. Jim can jump, perform a helicopter hover in the air, fire and fly. Naturally, these skills come in handy as there are plenty of villains getting in the way. Once the cheats spread round the playground faster than lice, infinite health was quite literally a life-saver. Our run and gun cylindrical hero wasn't a Sega-exclusive, and was soon available on Sega's own Game Gear, but also Nintendo's SNES and Gameboy. The Master System eventually got it in 1996, but if your parents still hadn't got you a 16 bit consol by then, Esther Ranser surely must have felt like a serious option/threat. Sequels followed, as did a well-received cartoon.

18. Slave

Slave User

Earthworm Jim for me was a collection of entertainingly INSANE concepts collected together to try and distract from the fact that the platforming elements weren't really THAT good.

19. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Ditto. However, they were very FLASHY and very ENTERTAINING. The game is technically very impressive, particularly for a Mega Drive. However, I remember my friend getting this the same Christmas I got Donkey Kong Country. We hardly bothered with Jim.

20. COB

I always found it ridiculously hard, which dampened the appeal slightly - there was one level in particular where you had to keep grabbing these hooks, and the higher you went the bigger the risk of falling right down to the bottom (which I did, every time). I do remember loving those between-levels parts where you were riding your rocket through a big tube, and the cartoon was indeed fantastic as I recall.

21. COB

That was Shiny all over, really - over ambitious games that usually ended up as less than the sum of their parts, but were still generally worth a go (this is particularly true of all-but-forgotten sultry gems MDK and Messiah).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  22. Slave

Slave User

Ah yes, I was thinking of that bit too. It remained unchanged when the game was re-released for iOS a few years ago. Although that, to me, came across as a game that wasn't hard but just badly designed. I don't think that section of the game is SUPPOSED to be challenging/frustrating, the controls just don't allow the character to progress in the manner that the game wants him to.

23. ButterTart

ButterTart Drop dead cynical

Earthworm Jim's appeal was definitely all aesthetic - the amount of detail that had been put into character design was amazing for its time. Played it again recently on 360 and it was absolutely solid. Enjoyable, but solid.

24. straightorbroken

48. OPERATION WOLF
    [​IMG]
    Developer: Taito
    Platform: Sega Master System
    Release: 1990

If Operation Wolf isn't console-defining, it is for me, being one of my most played on the Master System. Originally an arcade game, it was ported over to the 8-bit Sega console in 1990, following its release on the NES in 1989, but Taito whored this one out to just about any games station going, making it one of the most ported arcade titles of all time. You could get by with the ordinary controller, but the experience was enhanced using the system's Light Phaser peripheral. Not that I'm the competitive sort, but I would rather ridiculously put a balaclava on over the non-aiming eye to get a better score . Despite being a one player, and much like Jodie Marsh, this was a classic take-turns affair, and also the kind of I would enjoy watching others play (so long as I beat them), and was rather difficult actually. So if you were watching someone else have a go and the bleeping started to go faster as their health dropped, this could be fun, but if it was you sparks could fly if someone made any blamable noises. The point of the killing spree is actually to save lives (and you're not to shoot the fleeing hostages and nurses FYI), which at least had a positive message, with nicely detailed pictures in between the 6 stages showing facial expressions and all sorts, and a basic storyline being that you are killing evil terrorists. A drawback would be that given the difficulty, a 2 player option would have been a welcome feature (and naturally could have increased sales of the Phaser).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  25. straightorbroken

47. MICKEY'S SPEEDWAY RACING USA
    [​IMG]
    Developer: Rareware
    Release: November 2000 (NA), December 2000 (EU), January 2001 (JP)

Rareware were N64 saviours. Along with Nintendo's own output, they gave an under-performing games station games that surely are some of the best of all time (although I do say that as someone who has missed a number of generations). As this countdown goes on, the developer may very well have the most entries. Among their many classics, Mickey's racing adventure is a relatively obscure entry, coming near the end of the console's life-span, at a time when interest had dimmed somewhat. Unsurprisingly, the game favours the Diddy Kong Racing template, which in turned favoured the Mario Kart 64 template, so in this sense it gets off to a good start. The tracks represent different familiar American landscapes or cities, with some being more impressive than others. For me, compared to Rareware's output for the SNES late into its lifespan, it just doesn't seem to push the system to its maximum capabilities in the same manner, so for me on this level alone this is just a huge disappointment. But it's a Mickey racing game and Rareware had already given so much on titles with a wider appeal so I'm probably expecting too much. The graphics just did not impress me at first. Perhaps because hardly anything plays up to Disney's sensibilities, combined with the fuzzy textures that sometimes spoil the distinction of different objects and surfaces (just cast your mind to the vivid grass detail of Mario Kart 64 for comparison), making some turns a guessing game until you remember on repeated plays, so visially it initially felt rather uninspiring. But this game does have its rewards - little touches such as speeding up when going down steep hills, the fast speed in general, the relative ease of controls, and simple things like going over speed boosts always thrill me and quite literally go a long way. The battle zones are fine if, once again, offering nothing original, not to mention the items of defense and attack, which are aren't exactly essential in grand prix mode. But the battle mode is on par with Diddy Kong racing if you were wondering. "Well I never" protests Daffney Duck, and, well, people never bought it. Mickey's Speedway Racing gets going the more you play it and less you expect of it. This might not sound like high praise, but it's definitely a go-to for me at least.

26. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Good old Operation Wolf. I remember playing it on my Spectrum when I were a lad.

27. Slave

Slave User

Now, I feel that this Disney Speedway Racing was re-released on the GameBoy Colour. It really WASN'T good. But Konami Kracy Racing on the other hand - VERY GOOD!

28. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I have never played that Mickey game, it just looked a bit too naff for me and I think Diddy Kong Racing's 1-player mode completely burnt me out from ever playing another Rare cute mascot racing game - too hard.

For me, Rare's imperial period finishes in 1998 with Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye, anything after that was just downhill. Not necessarily awful, but never as good and in slowly decline until their last Nintendo game (Starfox Adventures) which I couldn't even be bothered to finish.

29. COB

But what about all those classics from after Microsoft bought them? :o

:(

30. Slave

Slave User

I'm not really sure what to think of Rare post-Nintendo. Microsoft didn't seem to know WHAT to do with them, so they got tasked with producing games that didn't play to their strengths. Of course, it also doesn't help that they didn't own a lot of the characters that appeared in the key franchises that they made their name on.

31. straightorbroken

46. CRASH TEAM RACING
    [​IMG]
    Developer: Naughty Dog
    Platform: Sony Playstation
    Release: September 1999 (NA), October 1999 (EU), December 1999 (JP)

Crash Bandicoot became not only something of an early Playstation mascot, but an important part in solidifying Sony's extraordinary gaming success. Arguably, the station changed the market forever (don't ask me why, it just sounds good to say so), with the Bandicoot being part of that in terms of appealing to audiences of all ages, as well as delivering an image that was slightly more adult (and all the more appealing because of it). Whether you see Crash Team Racing as a proper installment in the series or not, there is still something of a plot to keep things on track as it were (you race to save the planet, duh). There are initially 8 characters to choose from, eventually extending to fifteen, but with two hot sluts to choose from I'm more than happy. Various offensive and defensive power-ups are available to gain advantage, with ways to increase their impact adding slightly to the game-play. And contributing slightly to controls, you can reverse and (more familiarly) hop and skid-slide (which activates an acceleration as in Mario Kart). As expected, there are the usual grand prix, time trial and battle modes that can be customized. Perhaps this is what confines it to a copycat experience, and where originality could have made a big difference. But these are the basics you expect of racers anyway. As it is, the game sold well and was later given a sequel to prove this. The graphics successfully translate the platformer's original sensibilities, which helps when you're dealing with a game essentially very much unapologetically in the trail of Mario Kart. On the whole, a more than competent entry that further cemented Crash's status as something of a short-term Mario/Sonic counterpart mascot for the Playstation's runaway success on the 5th generation circuit.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  32. Mugatu

Mugatu onlyfans.com/mugatu

Love a Crash Team Racing session with the lads. (fortunately not followed by a "cheeky Nando's", though occasionally accompanied with banter)

The Crash series still stands up there as one of the best of any Playstation generation, I reckon. 2 > 1 > Racing > 3 > Bash.

33. COB

I never liked any of the Crash platform games (running INTO the screen? Get to fuck) but this was brilliant.

34. straightorbroken

45. YOSHI'S STORY
    [​IMG]
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Release: December 1997 (JAP), March 1998 (NA), May 1998 (PAL)

Ever since I collected Nintendo stickers, for my Nintendo sticker album book of all things, before I even owned a Nintendo console (apart from my Gameboy, I was rather loyal to Sega), Yoshi was an instantly appealing cast member of Mario's world. If ever Toad was picked first in a 2-player Mario Kart game, or 4 player 64 game, Yoshi (along with Koopa Troopa or Princess) would be next. As a 90s creation, the green dinosaur-dragon side-kick made his debut in the genre-defining Super Mario World at the turn of a new decade. Several (16-)bit parts later, he emerged as a headline act in the really quite wonderful Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (he carried baby Mario, but you were still playing the green figure). This was a rare (qute literally) and special time for the console, with Yoshi's outing here and Donkey Kong Country both almost feeling like they belonged to a different and new console. And so on an actual new console (the N64), expectations for Yoshi's first fully solo outing were understandably high. Released first in Japan, early criticisms lead to its Western release dates being delayed. These included the game being supposedly too easy (you can get to the end of the story in 6 levels, but there are in fact 24 to go through), and other minor details were tweaked (such as having the colour of his eggs matching the particular colour you are playing him as - each time you lose a life, you have to select another differently coloured Yoshi to play). Graphics wise, I can barely fault this game - it's such a joy to play within this not quite 3D 2D world (you're basically inhabiting a pop-out book). The wool-based levels are a fine pleasure to jump around in (which makes the upcoming Wii U game look so appealing). As a platformer, the strategy is to eat 30 pieces of fruit in order to pass through to the next page/stage. The replay value here is that, despite the relative ease in which to do this (and you will speed through this in close to an hour if not quicker), once you have opened up the 6 different worlds, you can go through each level trying to maximize your points, and in this sense it becomes more puzzle-based than action-driven. On one particular level set in a darkly-lit jungle, it actually does recall the first level of DKC, perhaps when the lighting dimmed as you rhino-raced to the finish, and similarly swimming is such a pleasurable experience. But this is where one of my minor criticisms come up: when you first swam in DKC, the vivid graphics and hypnotic music made the experience feel almost un paralleled (you're not frantically pressing buttons to keep from sinking, which gave the navigation a calm luxury give or take a few fish fiend enemies to avoid/kill), but here I don't quite feel the same sense of wonder and exploration. Still, the spinning around to change direction under water feels pretty neat and I find the controls far more elegant here than the slightly floaty jumping on land and platforms, of which is trickier to navigate with the kind of precision, for example, that would help avoid the frustrations of missing moving clouds and bouncing balls. If like me, you are captivated by its beyond cute graphics and simple to master gameplay that allows you to fully appreciate the kitsh visuals, then you will adore this game. The lack of a challenge might make this game one that simply doesn't stand up to more than a couple of days, or hours, play. It's certainly very kiddish, and the music at times is almost cringe worthy (children who sound drugged sing at the end of each level, and you cannot press A or B to skip it), so if you want depth this game has almost none. Personally, I don't see it as being a straightforward walk-through, but I'm more than happy to enjoy it as a glorified novelty item. As a follow-up to Yoshi's Island, it fails, but stylistically it's a winner and when the controls are relatively glitch-free, I can't help but get sucked in faster and more fatally than a colour-coordinated Shy Guy that's just been tongued.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  35. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Amazing art style, disappointing gameplay. It's one of the few Nintendo games I owned, later sold and never bothered to buy back.

I actually proper love the end of level music with all the mad Yoshis singing :D

[video=youtube;6yXRGYaOfeY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_2Rz0a-LU[/video]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  36. straightorbroken

44. KILLER INSTINCT
    [​IMG]
    Platform: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    Release: August 1995

A successful arcade game developed by the anything but rarely mentioned in this list Rareware, this game was originally intended for Nintendo's upcoming 'Ultra 64' console, but when delays ensued (hard to imagine Nintendo ever having these issues, I know) it was ported to the SNES, and was part of a group of games all increasing the console's shelf-life 'energy bar' whilst the software giant got its act together with its belated next generation offering. Despite the limitations and down-scaling in order for a 16-bit station to accommodate an advanced arcade title, it became one of the systems top draws and final blockbuster with its impressive rendered graphics and gameplay features that were clearly informed by what worked for Street Fighter and the controversial hit Mortal Kombat. It's a shame Nintendo missed the opportunity to launch a new console alongside Sony and nostalgic rival Sega, as walking through Comet/Dixons/etc would have been even more exciting as one began the retrospectively-unfair manipulation operation process I know I certainly used to employ to persuade parents to buy one without waiting until Christmas. Not only that, but an Ultra 64 having its own exclusive arcade fighter to enter commercial combat with both Sega's signature Virtua Fighter and Sony's gift Tekken would have been quite something (although it's worth bearing in mind that the eventual N64 Killer Instinct Gold still used sprites for the actual fighters, which is the very reason I refused to even buy it despite enjoying its segment on Gamesmaster at the time). Back to what could have been, I still remember the back page of whatever Nintendo magazine it was showing a prototype design, something that was rather exciting to say the least, and similar in this tradition they'd later show a mock 3D gameboy with coloured graphics. And so back to Killer Instinct. Constructed as a traditional fighter, with the aim to deplete your opponents energy bar by tastefully beating the shit out of them, each fighter has 2 instead of there being 2 rounds. Each player has their set of individual specialties and elaborate combo moves. As its title would suggest, Killer Instinct is decidedly more violent than the cartoonish fancy of Street Fighter (which is much more up my, you know, street!), but thankfully nowhere near as brutal and off-putting as Mortal Kombat (a game that I've never felt the need to investigate). On the whole, the characters sadly aren't all that memorable for me, but Black Orchid remains iconic and Lara Croft was certainly the Lady Gaga to her Madonna frankly. Maya almost made Gold tempting, but so far I've resisted during one of my increasingly frequent nostalgia splurges. The biggest reward here is most certainly pulling off the quite ridiculous combo moves that would obliterate your opponents., the outstanding backdrops (down-scaled or not) showing the SNES wasn't about to ever look back after Donkey Kong Country, and a killer fusion of what made leading contemporary fighters stand out.

37. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I played the shit out of this too - I feel like we are twins SoB:D

In hindsight, the arcade conversion was just OK and the game wasn't as good as other fighters of the same era (Street Fighter Alpha comes to mind), however it was very satisfying to pull off ridiculous combos by just mashing the pad. The announcer shouting 'ULTRAAA ULTRAAA ULTRAAA' is one of those gaming memories you never forget :disco:

Plus, the music in this game was the tits

[video=youtube;jPCHaA4owYI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPCHaA4owYI[/video]

and let's not forget the utter piece of EURODANCE TRASH that was Orchid's theme

[video=youtube;4YBynHVPYMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBynHVPYMo[/video]

38. Doodvid

Doodvid User

This thread has bought back so many memories...that Orchid track! I used to play that CD a lot and remember thinking Republica had something of the KI soundtrack about them a few years later.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  39. straightorbroken

43. JET FORCE GEMINI
    [​IMG]
    Release: October 1999 (NA), November 1999 (PAL), December 1999 (JAP)

This third-person 3D Galactic gun-fest was released in 1999, featuring up and running characters even if the N64 wasn't quite 'up and running' itself. Rareware were no stranger to near-flawless shooters (Goldeneye 007 I'll just go with the reputation as it's not my bag of hand grenades and Perfect Dark, as alluring as it looks, much the same as I'm not forking out for an Expansion Pak - I've ye to unrumble Donkey Kong for the same reason, although ironically this games frame-rate at times is calling out for that accessory), and, speaking of paks, could even show this skill off as a game within a game in Banjo Tooie. This time the first-person vantage point is largely replaced with a 3rd person perspective. For me, this improves the experience of the graphics, which manage to still feel quite special despite being 15 years old (I should point out I bought this only after re-discovering the console). You take control of a team of three, with each character having their own special abilities with vintage Rareware sensibilities (one is quite literally a tonne of fun with a cannon on his back). You will need to master each of the character's different capabilities with certain actions and levels requiring specific skill-sets. This re-enhances levels you have already played as different players will have access to requirements you missed out on the first time. However, the controls can be frustrating to begin with (and to end with, but that's another story), and thank goodness for both walk-throughs (essential when you are trying to find all The Tribals you are required to save) and online-available control instructions . A basic practice level could have been useful, and an opportunity for Rareware to demonstrate their knack for bonus rounds. On the other hands, being thrust into action also has its appeals. But make no mistake (and you will be furious when you do make them in the game), this will quickly escalate in terms of difficulty. In fact, I haven't completed it yet and am currently too annoyed to go back to it just yet. Time is a healer though. Not surprising for the software developer, the music is impressive, often grand and tense, and never distracting. And so not without flaws, Rareware's ambitious shooter is a blast. Armed with a shattering display of originality in places, Gemini proves that once again the only moderately successful N64 left a trail of classics, original ideas and gameplay that could be ahead of its time. This title has moments of brilliance, and the sheer fun of having a mindless go at it all is great, but the frustrations that will definitely emerge through collecting every Tribal guy and sometimes frame-rate glitch-riddled aiming (the Expansion Pak may have very well been a good idea, and was indeed considered) might prove too much to actually bother completing it.

40. COB

I never played that one :( I always thought it sounded fun, I might look into trying to emulate it.

As for Killer Instinct, I always thought it was a load of old rubbish if I'm honest - the big gimmick of the massive combos was just a bit silly, as if anyone could be bothered to memorise a string of 186 button presses or whatever you needed to do (I felt the same about most of Mortal Kombat's Fatality moves too). As far as me-too copycat fighters from that era go, for me it's all about Eternal Champions on the Mega Drive :disco:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014