Spice Girls back next year - WITH VICTORIA? (actually, no, not with Victoria)

Discussion in 'Spice Girls' started by Penelope, Nov 12, 2017.

1. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Lady Gaga 2008-2011. Except superior in every single way.

2. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

KC I love you honey but no.

Pipo likes this.
  3. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Not really, love. Musically yes, but impact no. Without being condescending, you weren't old enough when the SG were at their peak - they were literally everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Like even in backwater old NZ they were in every daily newspaper in every region - not just in entertainment things but in the world news simply for something they did with Prince Charles, or Nelson Mandela, or doing the Haka or whatever. Everyone knew their nicknames, their actual names...everyone had a friend/cousin/brother/child that hammered their two CDs, they marketed everything from lollypops to Pepsi to deodorant - they were simply inescapable.

4. Jark

Jark User

I think they were the first pop phenomenon of the tabloid era and I don't think it could be repeated now. The only direct comparison is Britney at the turn of the century.

5. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I'm not denying any of that. But I'm saying Lady Gaga was just as much the same media sensation.

6. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

She wasn't.

7. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Sorry but she was just as much everywhere. Everybody was waiting to see what she would release next, what she would do next, what she would wear next, what she would SAY next. Charted everywhere and was popular with every fucking demographic there was. I loved her world domination phase.

8. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

You're wrong but we love all kinds of people. See you in the Caution thread.

SDF likes this.
  9. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

10. heehaw

heehaw User

I think that's what DAMAGED them.

Too MUCH Too SOON.

Pipo likes this.
  11. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'd love to say Gaga had the same across the board impact as they did. But she didn't.

12. Rita

Rita User

I think a lot of people would like to be in the same “DAMAGED” position earning 10s of millions in that “flash of the pan” 2 years.

13. Rita

Rita User

Lady Gaga is certainly more listenable to these ears in 2018 if that is any consolation to you @KindaCool?

14. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Well she's about infinitely more talented than the SGs ever will be and has an actual musical legacy.

15. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

16. lolly

Obviously. But that wasn't the question. And she certainly isn't the only one in that respect.

17. Jark

Jark User

I really don't think you understand what is actually being discussed here.

Come back when you have the RANGE

18. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I was responding to Rita. But your contribution has been noted.

19. Edward

Edward User

But wouldn't a musical "legacy" apply to those groups and artists who have had a long and distinguished career?

Like lolly I agree that they had enormous cultural impact but musically, I'm not sure there is a body of work there to constitute labelling it as such.

20. Pipo

I get that KC was like 9 MONTHS OLD when the SG were about so that certainly didn't help, you had to be THERE to understand how much they were omnipresent worldwide during times where access to Internet was still very limited and Social Media was aeons away from becoming a tool for artists.

They were in no way like, let's say, Fifth Harmony where I remember they were in every single awards show and apparently breaking every single record by a girl group out there yet the average person couldn't even hum a couple of their songs let alone own an album by them.
    What definitely benefited the girls was that there was virtually no competition out there. At least in the US, amidst the Notorious BIGs, Foo Fighters, Fiona Apples, The Fugees, the Sheryl Crowes; they pretty much stood out. Mind you, this was way before other pop acts were around so in some way you could say they "paved the way" for pop music as we know it today. Hanson and Aqua came out during the SG "imperial" (and I'm quoting imperial cause it was so short but as @Rita said, uninterrupted, something unheard of, hit after hit after hit with no break in between) and they opened with big numbers in Billboard. Hell, even Robyn came along for the ride in this pre-Britney pop comeback (Her debut album was pretty successful and spawned three big radio hits).

I get why [Book of Stats]Moopy and perhaps the general audience[/Book of Stats] might look upon them in a certain way. 5 mediocre talented girls that did so much with so little because their team were GENIUS people to be honest. They never claimed to be the best singers or dancers, in fact looking at performances by them from ages ago you can see how little trained they were and how little they worked on their craft but alas so much has happened in 22 years it's not fair to even compare with the Arianas and Bruno Mars of today; but as a sum of their parts they had something no one else had and nobody has even come close to having it again. They tried with One Direction but I don't think they are held in the same regard.

and that was their mistake, getting together 5 girls with huge ass egos yet little talent who saw this as an opportunity to achieve something everyone else was aiming for to no avail but they were so overworked, they were everywhere from mid 1996 to early 1999 when they felt they didn't want to do this anymore. This ain't Popjustice to create a hypothesis about how things would have worked out differently if hey had taken a break in 97 and released a new album in 98, the lost album, Geri not leaving blah blah.

ok I'll shut up now but don't even belittle what they did. When it comes to 90's music they always come up, when talking about girl groups they always come up, when they make an announcement they draw Beyonce levels of media attention. It baffles me how much they could milk everything up but it always ends up in shambles God knows why, stupid little CUNT COWS.

Logic?, Iguana, Rita and 3 others like this.
  21. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

omg Pipo :D

We are not worthy

Jark likes this.
  22. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I stan for that Pipo post.

23. Rita

Rita User

Pipo talks the truth. “Flash in the pan”, “damaged”, “laughable legacy” and whatever other SHIT is getting banded around. Love them or hate them they ARE the most successful girl group of all time. The most successful group of the 90’s, and no matter what people’s opinions of them are now they can never take that away from them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Pipo and Jark like this.
  24. Rita

Rita User

God I sound like a LOON.

25. Jark

Jark User

:D that's the thing - my Spice Girls fandom is more or less limited to a few annual plays of Say You'll Be There and 2 Become 1, so defending them so passionately almost feels ABSURD. But facts are facts.

26. lolly

They are certainly right up there with Robson and Jerome.

27. Pipo

sorry I was -90 years old when they were around, sames as KC with the SG, perhaps I had to BE THERE to get them.

28. Rita

Rita User

I used to be QUITE PARTIAL to Robson.

29. Rita

Rita User

Or maybe it was Jerome? :confused:

30. lolly

You clearly managed at -89 well enough for the SG

cwej likes this.
  31. lolly

Robson was the hotter one. The dark haired one who had been in Casualty.

32. Rita

Rita User

Yes, not the blonde one with the big chin.

33. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Really? :D

34. Halli

Denden UP IN ARMS

Rita likes this.
  35. Pipo

she really has mellowed over the years, maybe it's in a LESBAIN's nature to do so. She was so bitter and hateful back in 99 up until 2005 wasn't she.

Emma is so bland and unoffensive I even forget she exists. WHAT does she do for a living??

36. Shirley

Shirley YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS

Show on RADIO BLAND

37. heehaw

heehaw User

I was always quite IMPRESSED that BORING Bunton released the best SOLO song.

That badabadaba ONE!!!

38. Halli

So it will be announced via a recorded video message on Monday evening apparently

39. Rita

Rita User

Load of OLD SHIT.

40. Iguana

Iguana Iguana come over?

I predict it will be POORLY RECORDED on Geru's Samsung Galaxy S7.

SDF likes this.