Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Johnkm, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I'm loving this new series except for the ridiculous accent of the spore-entity. Enjoying it much more than I did the first series because there are less Klingons and hints of Spock.

2. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Oh it's been great! Michelle Yeoh camping it up to the max at every opportunity (including doing ACTUAL SNAKE HISSES at Michael) has been such a highlight for me :disco:

Iguana likes this.
  3. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

I’m following it but I can’t say I like it very much. It’s all over the place and the whole spore thing is just shit.

It’s watchable enough though and Pike has been a very positive addition.

4. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

I'm enjoying it still! Pike is great - I actually wish it was more about him than Michael!

Was I the only one hoping Saru would actually die when it looked like he was a goner last week?

5. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I find her acting somewhat off-kilter but I loved that bit.

6. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I was looking forward to it and was gutted when it turned around like it did. The way he walks makes me irrationally angry, what is the point of those dangly side-to-side arm wafts?!

Iguana likes this.
  7. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I was very pleased with the season finale. It answered a lot of my continuity questions with regards to other Star Trek series and films.

8. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I've already seen the final scenes compared to that Simpsons episode with the 'real' Principal Skinner - "nobody can talk about this again, under penalty of torture!" :D

Having said that, I enjoyed the episode! I was fully expecting the last scene to be Discovery arriving in the future and running into Picard and his new crew, but according to the producers they've gone much further into the future, the 31st century in fact :o Maybe Starfleet doesn't even exist at that point? It opens things up so much more than being tied to the pre-Kirk era, so I'm quite interested to see where things go.

9. wurst

wurst User

I've been loving Disco since the first episode, never really understood the online critics - there are so many FABULOUS FEMALES :disco:

Is somebody able to confirm to me that following the finale as things stand for season 3 (as this show can be terribly confusing if you slip your mind away for more than a few seconds):
    Cornwell - DEAD
    Tyler - Left behind in the past, hopefully never to return :disco:
    Pike, fabulous woman in yellow on Pike's ship, female Klingon L'Rell, Saru's sister - Left behind in the past

Leaving series 3 to start its own-canon, free from the shackles of the original series? (So in many ways a soft reboot?)

If so HOW VERY EXCITING. Would actually love a few more monster of the week episodes now, mixed with the overarching plot. I thought the visit to Saru's homeworld episode was one of the strongest of both seasons as it was a relief from relentless plot (whilst oddly also oddly BEING plot)

10. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

It never occurred to me that they might make another series. I just assumed that was it.

How can they? Discovery is bashed up to buggery, spore drive is defunct and it's 800-odd years in the future with only a speckling of crew members and they can't remove the sphere data because it's merged with the ship.

11. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

There's definitely a third season coming, but it definitely seems like it'll have a radically different premise to the first two.

12. wurst

wurst User

It definitely seem to be hinting the show is now DONE with it's Original Series fan-service and timeline and is ready to make Disco it's own entity now...which it should be fine to do, as I'm assuming it's doing very well in terms of ratings/Netflix - hasn't it had several seasons ordered already + Michelle Yeoh spin off AND the return of The Next Generation :o

Also
    I thought S2 Spock added very little to the show, and cared a lot more about Discovery's original characters, so will be quite happy to expand upon the existing crew and make them their own type of Star Trek legend :disco: )

13. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I remain pretty much unchanged through the entire series.

The finale was very showy, but the whole series had relied on great graphics, plots that swing about too much and generally flat storylines.

As a general star trek fan, knowing fewer than 5 main bridge people annoys me. Michael is dull. Pike was great for this season and Tilly is hit and miss. I still dont know the name of the girl with the implant.

My best hope is that the series is that discovery ends up being stuck in the future and that's the whole schtick for 3 seasons. But they will probably find their way back in 5 episodes.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  14. Iguana

I really enjoyed the finale - and the second half of series 2 as a whole. I openly admit I have NO IDEA what Control was or why it was going to destroy the universe but that didn't stop my enjoyment. And why did they not just use magnets to defeat it earlier? :D

I am also truly pleased it looks like it will no longer be a prequel. It was stupid that their technology was way more advanced than any that came in other series set in the future and hopefully this will leave them free to go totally overboard with tech, which is half the fun. I'm genuinely gutted Airiam was killed off - I thought she was the best recurring character! But I'll also be happy if Ash is no longer in it, although I've no doubt they'll find a way to SOMEHOW bring him back. I only wish Hugh could have been left behind and/or killed (preferably onscreen while naked).

15. Iguana

I'd also love to have some indication of how the series is doing (beyond @wurst 's good point about spin-offs being commissioned. I feel like it's a bit NICHE as a series and certainly I don't know anyone else beyond you guys who watches it.

I'd watch a Captain Pike spin-off even if it was prequel-style. He's been a fantastic captain.

16. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

P.S. there were far too many long teary goodbyes in the last few episodes that seemed to go on forever even when they were facing a short time to destruction. STOP PISSING ABOUT! GET ON WITH YOUR JOBS!

17. Iguana

This is true. The Admiral saying "Wait" to Number One so she could TOUCH HER ARM when there was a live torpedo to dislodge was my favourite.