Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Lockhart, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

How, after two watches of Seasons 1 and 2, did I not realise that Gabriel Lorca is Lucius Malfoy?! Or that Ash Tyler is Clem Fandango!

2. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

I loved the latest episode, it was lovely to see Trill and the symbiont pools again. The whole episode felt a bit DS9-esque actually, not just because of that but also the way a lot of the crew were being shitty towards each other due to natural conflicts and resentments - I enjoy that they're giving time to the aftermath of such a massive change in their lives, before presumably getting down to the business of finding the Federation next episode.

wurst likes this.
  3. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

Have to say I've loved the first three episodes, not watched number four yet because I'm saving it for tonight.

4. COB

They're also inching closer and closer to Calypso with the mention of the V'draysh in episode two then the computer's new personality in this one. I wonder if they have something planned out there, ot if it's just a few easter eggs for the fans :o

5. wurst

wurst User

Loving the new series of Discovery! I kind of didn't even want the crew to come back so we could have the further adventures of Burnham and Book :D
    I hope Book becomes a new anti-hero for the series, rather than an actual villain. You can't buy chemistry, and they have it!

On the OTHER side, I think it's time to demote Tilly or axe her altogether. The actress is TERRIBLE, you can see her "acting" her lines as she says them, and I'm much more interested in finding out about other members of the crew (the show seems to be opening up to that TOO - what's up with GINGER :disco:).

I wonder if the guy from episode 2 who they let live will be a reoccurring character too.

6. Eddie

Eddie User

Quick question. I haven’t watched Picard yet. Is it looking unlikely that there will be a second season?

7. wurst

wurst User

This was a good episode! I'd have liked the new Trill character to have had a bit more development than a hasty introduction in the episode prior - but I'm guessing the revealing of the prior hosts, one being their partner, is ALSO key to that character's arc.

8. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I always assumed that Picard would be a one-off series. Things happen in it that would be too difficult to explain away if they want to bring certain characters back.

I wanted to love it and certain parts of it I did but it's a bit of a meh spin off if I'm honest. If you compare it to Discovery, it's not even close in quality.

9. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I don't see Book being a villain or even an anti-hero @wurst , he's too nice. I agree with you about Tilly, the actress is very wooden and clunky.

I also like the new computer, now that the sphere data has taken over. It's a bit of a gobshite :D

wurst likes this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie User

Aww. I’m only really attached to TNG and that era of Treks tbh.

11. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

At last, a DISCO Moopy opinion I can get on board with.

12. Eddie

Eddie User

13. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

Other than Picard most of the other characters were just drop-ins for a couple of episodes.

14. Madison

Picard is the most TNG/DS9/VOY respectful thing since Star Trek Insurrection.

Eddie, dUb and Indie like this.
  15. COB

There will apparently be a second and third season of Picard.

16. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I persisted with it about a year ago and actually I reckon it was quite good in later seasons.

But it was too late and everyone had given up. The first series was pretty dross.

Madison likes this.
  17. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Discovery has definitely taken an upturn. I was getting a bit bored with season 2, but the 3rd is definitely better.

Still needs fewer Burnham-gets-emotional bits though. She can bore for starfleet.

18. Eddie

Eddie User

I’m waiting for a Crusher appearance. Love Gates.

19. Eddie

Eddie User

This is why I’m curious to see it. Can’t be doing with alternate universes or canon rewriting prequels.

20. Madison

Annoyingly, it's had to incorporate Romulus being destroyed (:manson:) from the Star Trek film, but otherwise, faithful.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Eddie likes this.
  21. Madison

I keep meaning to give the last series ago. I gave up half way through the Xindi stuff.

22. dUb

dUb IFFY

Voyager-J!!
    I yelped

23. dUb

dUb IFFY

and a USS Nog apparently which is a very nice touch

24. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Mrs. Indie did also.

A good episode i thought.

The "music" caused the burn

Bespectacled old bloke has merged or swapped minds with Georgiou

25. dUb

dUb IFFY

I don't think I like... anything about this show or anyone in it

26. wurst

wurst User

IS TILLY DEAD YET

dUb likes this.
  27. COB

I'm enjoying it, but it is starting to feel like they need some sort of main plot or big villain or SOMETHING - they're running the risk of just meandering around. I'm still agog at the cameo from David Cronenberg last week :D

28. wurst

wurst User

So I just watched the last two episodes - did they just dump ANOTHER dark haired female security officer from the cast! :D What sort of ending was that, for what seemed to be a promising addition :D
    Just leaving her alone with a grieving and hugely troubled RANDOM MAN!

There was waaaay too much going in that episode, and plot points were flying around all over the place.

The second one with Book’s return was MUCH BETTER, and I’d happily just watch Book, Burnham and Georgiou and ditch most of the rest of them.

Have they really just added ANOTHER new character with that bad make up/wig BLUE PERSON? :D There’s really no need!

I’m enjoying this season, but they need to calm it down a bit now and FOCUS somewhat. There are more than enough characters now too, they could actually do with slimming the cast down a bit tbh.

29. dUb

dUb IFFY

30. dUb

dUb IFFY

Playing ACTUAL FOOTAGE from TNG in the latest boring episode in the name of tawdry fan service :octy:

31. COB

Oh I liked it - it felt a bit like a throwback to an old fashioned Star Trek courtroom episode, though getting Michael's mum involved felt a BIT contrived (but I did like how they're creating new Romulan/Vulcan lore between this and Picard). It's looking more and more likely that we're getting an entire season of worldbuilding at this point, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

32. Madison

Best episode so far - the only weak parts were, as always, anything and everything to do with Michael Burnham, her mother, and the crew of the Discovery. (I still can’t name half of them.)

Poor Ensign Kim spent years, including actual command experience, and never got a single promotion. How on earth did Tilly get this role?

dUb likes this.
  33. COB

It did feel a bit like "who's the next biggest character who actually gets lines" :D Nilsson or Detmer would probably be more appropriate choices, I think.

34. COB

The scene near the end also reminded me that Burnham actually works well with Tilly (and the rest of the crew) when they do get scenes together, which feels like something they've been actively avoiding for a lot of this season so far.