Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by RobotBoy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Who else has read part or all of the trilogy?

I absolutely love crime fiction and Sweden, so it was always going to be a bit of a winning combination for me but I honestly think The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is my favourite book, ever. It might not be very highbrow but it's just SO gripping and I genuinely think Salander is one of the most interesting literary heroines of all time. The way her story advances through the trilogy is fascinating.

The second and third books are a bit more ridiculous and throwaway IMO, but absolutely just as enjoyable. I was so invested in her story by the end of Book 3. It's VERY selfish of Larsson dying and depriving us of more.

2. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I much preferred the first tithe other two.

I felt like Salander was some sort of superhero by the end of the trilogy, when it was more interesting when she was just a savant.

3. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I've heard a few people say that they didn't like how she was almost super human by the end but she was very wealthy compared to how she was in the first book which goes some way to explaining that. I agree though that it was a bit ludicrous by the end. None the worse for it though, for me.

4. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I've only read the first two so far, but I have enjoyed them a lot. I'm fairly sure that it's wrong of me to think that Salander is a total bitch.

5. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I keep meaning to pick up the first one and give it a go because the people around me who have read them have given it nothing but PRAISE.

6. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

I loved all three but was somewhat let down by the third part, not for the reason madison gave but because Salander spent too much of it in hospital and would've preferred her in a more active role. Also it seemed the last hundred pages were rushed, it had an excellent buildup and the court case and outcome of everything was tied up too soon. But having all wrote all that, I would still count it as one of the best novels of the crime genre I've ever read and has made me want to visit Sweden as a result just to do the Millenium tour.

7. Frozen

On a side note I'm interested to see dub's opinion

8. Madison

I'm interested to see Jark's opinion.

9. Frozen

Side note #2 : Robotboy, as a fan of crime fiction, what other novelists do you read and what novels would you recommend?

10. Madison

Does anyone else read the Wallander books?

11. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I've read the very first one and thought it was just ok. Quite one dimensional characters, but apparently they get more complex and interesting as they go on.

12. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I'll do another thread! :disco:

13. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Unfortunately though, Hedeby Island and Hedestad are fictional. There are literally hundreds of islands just like them though.

14. Madison

Even Wallander himself?

I've never read books with a central character so ordinary. Murders aside, the author really gets across what this 50-something divorcee's life is like. I find it really unnerving.

Also, I love the way the landscape of his part of Sweden reflects the bleakness of his life and the murders (apologies to anyone from Skåne - but it sounds horrid)

15. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Yeah, I found Wallander quite undeveloped to be honest in the Faceless Killers, but I know I'm pretty much alone in thinking that. I did like it, I just didn't understand why people lose their shit over it. I'm really looking forward to getting into the rest of the Wallander books though.

16. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Oh and Skåne really does sound awful. People from Skåne can't speak proper Swedish either. They all sound so thick.

17. Madison

The second Wallander one is a bit strange - The Dogs Of Riga.

Set in Latvia whilst it was still part of the Soviet Union, and dealing with the independence movement. Except whilst he was writing it, it had already become independent, so it doesn't really make sense.

18. Madison

I can't help but blame Denmark.

19. [insert your best offer here]

[insert your best offer here] User

The scandinavian writers are so heavily demanded right now. Jussi Adler Olsen is also popular right now.

The only thing that has put me off the triology is THE SHEER LENGHT of it. I am not good at reading very long books.

20. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The description of The Dogs Of Riga is what stopped me reading it as soon as I finished Faceless Killers to be honest. It doesn't really appeal.

21. Madison

There's no real harm in skipping it.

22. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

I've just been given The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

I have two other books to read but I'm looking forward to it. I've not heard a bad word yet.

23. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

The first book is brilliant

The second is far fetched but fun

The third is UTTERLY DREADFUL at the start. There is so much explanation about the Swedish political system and things like when a character's phone is tapped, it goes into indepth detail as to how its achieved. It's either padding because he had a number of pages to fill and couldn't or a blatant "Look at me and all the research I've done" brag. Either way, it makes the first half VERY SLOW and almost impenetrable. The end picks up brilliantly, though, and it's back to the pace of the first two books...

24. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8yb32iX9O4&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8yb32iX9O4&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

25. Madison

My Chinese friend didn't like it - but she's mental.

26. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Oh I thought the exact opposite about the third book, Sheena. Totally gripping from the start. It just picks up right in the middle of so much drama. I read it in about a week and would have read it quicker were it not for work. I know lots of other people who've said similar things about the third book though - lots of criticism of all the stuff in the middle about the history of SAPO.

27. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I have no interest in the books, but the whole story about him being knocked back with the manuscripts for years, and then being taken on by a little publishers who had so much faith that they gave out loads of free copies to create a buzz, only for Stieg to then DIE just before they became massive is quite a good yarn. The family are apparently all fighting for his millions now

This story came from a drunk MamaPrize but i hope it's true. How :( though. Apparently he planned for ten books too.

28. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

There's apparently a half finished fourth book that his partner (who allegedly helped write all three published books) would like to finish, but his estranged family (who he hated but have inherited his estate) won't let her.

29. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Apparently they only didn't marry because he was getting death threats for his politics, and swedish law states that in order to marry your adresses have to be made public on some records.

Poor unlucky NotMrs Larsson :( I hope the family aren't such big cunts as to not give her a million or two. They can surely spare it.

30. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Yes, I read about the marriage thing. It's all very sad, as these hugely successful things often are.

31. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

NINE YEARS later I have read this trilogy and absolutely LOVED it.

Yeah.

32. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

The first half of the first book is good (the crime stuff) everything After is just super spy trash. I hated that last book so much.

33. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I loved the first book (after a certain point. It was really boring up to one part but when the story got going it was great) but never could get into the second one.

Suedey likes this.
  34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I read all four, I guess I liked the style of writing compared to some crappy crime thrillers I had read.

The first one was really what I wanted, but the sequels were hardly essential. I loved the first book adaptations, but I didn’t need more than that

35. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

The second is the weakest of the three for me.