Susan Boyle

Discussion in 'Pop' started by POP!, Sep 13, 2009.

1. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

I wasn't sure whether to post this in here, Divas or TV...

Supposedly the first single for her 'I Dreamed a Dream' album, a cover of the Rolling Stones track

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jiv1TJ1ZyS0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jiv1TJ1ZyS0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

Oh I really really like that!

3. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I quite like it too, but i want something a bit BIG to launch her with. They should remember that the majority of folk likely to buy a Susan Boyle album will have very little imagination and will not respond too well to subtlety. Big key changes are needed.

Though maybe they are thinking long term and trying to do something a bit less predictable. She's still with Cowell though,so i doubt it.

4. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

where did I read that she wants to cover 'You'll See' by Madonna as it is one of her favourite songs?

5. TurnerPrize

She should do Hanky Panky.

I actually CAN imagine it, she always did that weird little sex dance.

6. Win_the_game

Win_the_game KETA

I don't get the fuss about SuBo. Her voice sounds really irritating in that clip.

7. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

I thought it was quite nice

8. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Oh it is. I do love that song though.

9. Crash

Crash Thank You

LOVELY

I've had it on repeat all night

10. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

It's nice but I'm not going to listen to it on repeat

I hope she does well though

I got bored of the hype but I worry that she might actually kill herself if it all goes to shit

I think Simon knows that too and he's being careful not to do anything to rock the boat

11. Red One

Red One PLEASE KEISHA NO!

Sorry Subo this is CLEARLY the definitive version of that song..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u9lEd5bIbbQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u9lEd5bIbbQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I hope she's got some SICK BEATS and HOT SLUT TRAX on this album to go with the horny sex dance TurnerPrize mentioned.

12. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

Suicide is the key, surely?

Yeah, she'll sell a couple of hundred thousand copies of WHATEVER, but a cold, grey BOYLE corpse will sell millions.

She doesn't have kids, so it's ok.

13. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

She could be the ugly Eva Cassidy I guess (if Eva Cassidy was pretty, I don't remember). If not she can just be the new Eva Cassidy

14. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

I'm sure Simon Cowell can spin UGLY into SYMPATHY SALES. Female facial-hair removal product sales will go THROUGH THE ROOF out of RESPECT and NOT because anyone has a beard problem.

15. Ryan

Ryan User

I actually really liked this. Have never watched Britain's Got Talent, wasn't overly bowled over when I youtubed her 'I Dreamed A Dream', but this is GENUINELY beautiful. Really nice cover, very surprised indeed. I think Loufoque hit the nail on the head with the Eva Cassidy comparison really.

16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I really don't like the tone of her voice at all and that vibrato is just too much.

I prefer the JEWEL version. :disco:

17. Slave

Slave User

So, Leona got a good reaction on America's Got Talent, but nothing like THIS:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HFrmVq0Idw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HFrmVq0Idw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

18. funky

funky INCAPABLE

she does have a cracking voice, you know. Good enough for a stage career, but she could never handle that kind of live nightly pressure so a controlled pop career while she can get it is the best thing for her right now

tell you what though, the story that the internet, and now her label, are creating for her really does make her look like red hot. I thought her momentum would fade quickly but this album is going to be fucking massive.

Still prefer The Sundays version of this though! Definitely the best version that exists for me...

19. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

They should have done a Leona and bunged Wild Horses on US Itunes before that performance. It's not like she's going to get a major Radio hit out of it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  20. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Her voice is really not that special but she's done a great job with that. Emotive and quite subtle which is a lovely surprise. It's a great version of the song.

Though do I agree that overall the Sundays version remains the best. You can't beat a bit of Harriet Wheeler...

21. Slave

Slave User

I did notice they've managed to quickly create a sob story about her dead mother and shoehorn that into her VT :zombie:

22. funky

funky INCAPABLE

she's ALL about the story though. That is her hook. It'll get worse before it gets better

most stars wait about ten years before they open up about rehab. She did it in 2 months :D but to be fair, she sounds so genuine when she talks, there are no airs and graces and it's so easy to believe her. When she said "one minute I was in a clinic, I don't know what happened, I was just very tired" it sounds so plausible and you can't help but feel for her...

America are so going to eat this shit up.

23. Slave

Slave User

I think I said it at the time, but I genuinely DO hope she finds success and appreciation in America and stays out there to lap it up.

I'm not sure she could sustain a consistent chart career in the UK besides an album every year or so, and she's already suffered the backlash from the press. She's a lot older than our standard reality TV fare, I don't think she's built to hack the music industry, nor should she have to.

I say give her the inevitable moment of glory, and then let her live out her days in a country that adores her and probably always will.

24. funky

funky INCAPABLE

the label just needs to be smart and play good cop bad cop. Every time she does something stupid they can leak it to the press that they were putting too much pressure on her. Given her well-documented mental health history and the fact that she's just some Joan Bloggs from down the road, people will believe it

it can work...

25. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

when is the single and album out?

are they only concentrating on America or is she coming back over here for promo?

26. funky

funky INCAPABLE

late November, I imagine it will be released in many markets at the same time

27. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

The reaction during AGT really is massive. And the album is album #1 on the US amazon chart and it's not released until November 24th.

It's obviously going to be bigger than ANY other album, at least in the US. And yes that includes Whitney and Leona.

28. Bless. It's still all quite endearing despite the fact she is clearly borderline mongoloid and the huge media saturation of it all.

29. funky

funky INCAPABLE

interesting that all the newspapers have coverage along the lines of "25m viewers tune in to see Susan Boyle on the final of AGT" without a SINGLE MENTION that Leona Lewis was on the same show premiering her long-awaited new single...

30. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

If Miss Lewis had a slightly better first single maybe she would GARNER A BIT MORE ATTENTION.

But then again, even if she had she probably wouldn't be able to do much about the BOYLE-BEHEMOTH.

31. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

QUITE

That was actually quite a shaky vocal from Boyle and it sounded a little strained. Not that it's going to matter come November, this'll be the album that bucks the US's TERMINAL CD SALES DECLINE

32. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Boyle had nerves for sure but bloody hell can you blame her? It was her third live TV performance in her LIFE and it was in front of one of the largest TV audiences in the WORLD, EVER

let's give her a little BREAK shall we :D

I thought she sounded really good. But I never have any expectations for her, which I think is her key right now... people still think she's some cute old woman from Scotland so when she opens her mouth you're like "OK, I get it..."

33. smexy

smexy Guest

Leona could have done 'Bleeding Love' in her underpants and it would have made no difference. She isn't the media story anymore. The song, which is good anyway, is irrelevant.

34. TurnerPrize

I am buying into this fairytale hook line and sinker, that sob story intro VT almost bought a tear to my eye. The performance didn't do a massive amount for me though. It was alright, but i think the recording is more powerful.

I am already scared about her next breakdown though. Has she had a comedy racist outburst yet? She's scottish and quite old, so it's bound to happen. That'll be what sinks her in America (with the media at least). Let's hope she doesn't slap a black hotel worker and drop the n-bomb until after the album's out. It will make for a better story arc that way.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  35. :D:D:D

36. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

It would have been more exciting if she'd covered Girls Aloud's Wild Horses. Shakira could have doine the Woo Woo's in the chorus. :(

37. funky

funky INCAPABLE

OMG I have so been expecting a comedy racist moment as well!

"What, you're not allowed to say Paki any more? Our local priest says it all the time..."

38. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

She should've covered Wild Dances.

39. smexy

smexy Guest

Whatever became of Paul Potts? Did he top himself?

40. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I THINK he released a new album this year. :confused: