Tags Discussion

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Rita, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Do you want tags to return?

1. Yes

34.8%
  2. No

65.2%
  1. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

I prefer Ag's proposal to having them public, but I'd rather have them back and public than not back at all.

Pipo and Tisch like this.
  2. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I prefer them anonymous, as that's always been part of the joy.

If the only route to getting them back is removing anonymity then that's the concession I could probably deal with.

3. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I toyed with starting this thread. Then I thought I didn't really have the RIGHT to so I erred. But thank you @Rita for starting!

My two cents:

I love tags. They are the thing that prompted me to sign up. For 10 years they have had me howling and I miss them.

I haven't missed tags as much as I thought I might. But Moopy without tags = something missing.

There is absolutely no room for racist, sexist, homophobic, tags. I think we all agree on that. So I'd like to see quick action taken if anything like that ever arises.

When it comes to "offensive". Moopy has always been built on a foundation of near-the-line humour and that should not change. But we absolutely should feel able to call out a tag (or a post for that matter) we feel crosses the line.

We all have different level of tolerances. "buttertart is a fat cunt" might not go down the same way as "soldi is a fat cunt" and that's okay. If Buttertart or Soldi were upset by it, it should be easy to report, get removed, and easy to let the perpetrator know they've caused upset. The only thing we want to prevent is people getting upset and it happening again.

That's my long way of saying: bring back tags and think about what you're posting. If tags are able to be fully transparent I'm all for that as that provides that extra layer of "should I really post this". If this is not possible, then - and I think I'm right in saying - the mods can see who posted them, and if someone's upset by a tag, it should be no issue to be reported to a mod and removed as quick as possible.

There should be no discussion on if a tag gets removed or not. If it upsets someone it upsets someone. We are not here to police how sensitive posters might feel from day to the next. We're all human at the end of the day.

KindaCool, Kate, Soldi and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rita

Rita User

I think the only way to keep everyone happy is by bringing them back publicly. That way the people that miss tags can have them here, and the spineless can’t get away with posting poisonous shit again.

Tisch, OutSynk and dUb like this.
  5. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Which is why a solid set of rules in place could have prevented a lot of those situations.

6. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Didn't we have self policing rules before that didn't work?

7. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

I have no idea if it is possible in the back end, but do tags have an option to have hovertext? Then you could have the name put there so that at least the joy of a tag can be anonymous when first read, but always with the ability for everyone to see the poster of they wanted or needed to?

Soldi and Iguana like this.
  8. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

The pro of having anonymity is you won't get members falling out over differing humours as any disputes can be solved privately by mods.

The con is people using tags to cause trouble.

I'm genuinely not sure what side of the fence I'm on. I'd like to basically see people NOT use them to cause trouble. Can that be assured?

9. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

Only because people were twattish about it. I like to think the dust on the original discussion has settled.

10. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I can't remember what it was, but there was a recent conversation crying out for tags, that just don't work as posts. The argument that they take away from the forum doesn't work. They still existed over our huge lockdown weeks.

11. COB

COB DIONIN

I'm pretty sure this is how it worked when I was a mod, though that was when Moopy was on an older version of the forum software so who knows what's possible now.

12. lolly

I think that's naïve.

SDF, Peekaboo, Barnacle and 1 other person like this.
  13. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

I still think that people don't realise how draining it becomes when you open every thread you've posted in and find a smattering of tags that nobody else would find offensive but that gnaw on your head because they're so constant and unavoidable. To me that's almost worse than someone saying something out and out mean as a one off, but other posters don't pick up on it because it isn't related to them.

And I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I just suspect that even with public tags, people will take liberties that they don't take in posts. I haven't missed them at all, personally, but that's me. Again, if public tags are tested and go long term without a hitch then great.

Logic?, SDF and dUb like this.
  14. Rita

Rita User

Probably not, unfortunately.

15. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

For ME, as an occasional contentious tagger, the recent fallout was message enough to know what is now acceptable or not. Otherwise a set of solid rules (not necessarily what I've suggested) can work.

Having them public is almost asking for more trouble.

16. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

That was my hope. It proved ill-founded.

17. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I don't. They were removed after a discussion was held but not really concluded. I think the six or four or God knows how months since then has instead provided that "conclusion" and now the second conversation is this one which is "has it worked"? A lot less emotive than the original "should we remove tags".

Soldi likes this.
  18. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I've voted YES. But my official answer is YES BUT BETTER for what it's worth.

COB and Rita like this.
  19. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

If tags were to be revealed it will most likely be seen that I just post endless ridiculous tags and occasionally birth a Moopy meme.

Rita likes this.
  20. lolly

Reading dUb and Chlammy in this thread I'm more convinced that they absolutely shouldn't be private, no matter what 'rules' are put in place. Apart from anything else, I don't see how other people can define what they (or anyone else) should or shouldn't be upset by.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Logic?, Peekaboo, Star and 1 other person like this.
  21. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Well. So far, we're at 13 votes and a 8/5 split.

Let's see how the poll pans out.

22. Rita

Rita User

Nothing wrong with that.

23. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

24. COB

COB DIONIN

This is a really good point - I always enjoyed tags but I was also never targeted by anyone through them, so I don't want to disregard the views of anyone who was.

dUb and Barnacle like this.
  25. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

If they are returned with public viewing, is there going to be a consensus on drawing a line on old tags? I'm not especially concerned but I am aware that what was OK in 2009 changes and what we said in past shouldn't be punished.

26. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

And I'm biting here but the bulk of people saying yes are also going to be the people who have never gotten hurt/targeted. Which teeters on the majority speaking for a minority of posters.

And I realise I could do something to solve it by posting a lot less obsessively and constantly at times because I am aware that it comes across as attention seeking and makes me an easier target. But it doesn't excuse certain others who are quick to choose a target when they're in the mood and latch onto them.

Suomi, VoR and dUb like this.
  27. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Not at all. I still favour anonymous but I'm happy to go with the flow.

28. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I think what I mean is:

Bring back tags - but I think the CULTURE should change a bit to allow members to simply say if they're offended (be that privately or in public) without the old argument of "THIS IS MOOPY. TAKE IT". I think the last four months without tags has shown we're past that.

I also say if we bring them back and it all goes to shit remove them again and let's never have this discussion ever again.

COB and Ag like this.
  29. lolly

I'm also slightly perturbed by the fact that a possible slight increase of enjoyment by some people (even if a considerably larger number) on moopy could be seen as more important than genuine distress felt by others.

30. lolly

A culture change is the ideal. But if that is what we're aiming for, I'd rather we bring them back but make them public, see how that pans out, and THEN consider if we can make them private again.

Tisch and COB like this.
  31. Rita

Rita User

This is also a very good point. As someone who was also targeted for a while by tags but didn’t personally take it to heart we must be mindful of those who did.

32. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I like tags, but I think I'm a no for bringing them back. Making them public would absolutely lead to witch hunts based on tags made seven years ago which were sort of acceptable then but clearly aren't now. I think we'd have to delete all of the existing tags to consider it, which would be a shame, although I guess one that isn't terribly different from not having them at all. I would support bringing them back privately, but that ignores the way that they have been intentionally used to wound in the past and that we still don't really have a solution to that.

33. Rita

Rita User

I couldn’t care less if all previous tags were deleted in order to bring them back to avoid a witch hunt on tags made in yesteryear.

34. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I hadn't considered this and I agree. If it's too complicated to keep the old ones private then get rid all together. The best ones are ingrained in our memories anyway

35. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Starting afresh is quite a horrifying prospect knowing how many classics would have been deleted.

36. lolly

I think at some point moopy has to draw a line under previous behaviour and move on from it - particularly if that person or people have clearly moved and have changed behaviour. Challenge current behaviour by all means, but learn from the past.

37. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I'd much rather that than seeing an offensive tag about me and not knowing if it's recent or from seven years ago.

38. Rita

Rita User

Would you be open to the idea if it meant tags could return?

39. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Tell that to SOME QUEENS.

40. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I also think they'd come roaring back in no time!

*becomes antique table*