Tags Discussion

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Rita, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Do you want tags to return?

1. Yes

34.8%
  2. No

65.2%
  1. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

This is my problem, and was something I found quite disturbing when this issue first raised its ugly head. Certain sections of Moopy appeared much more interested in defending their right to be mean to people anonymously than actually listening to people who had been caused genuine emotional pain.

I liked tags, a lot of them were very funny. I also liked Moopyrate. I feel strongly that both have had their day.

Logic?, Peekaboo, Barnacle and 2 others like this.
  2. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

No. Losing anonymity is compromise enough.

As I say, draw a line on the past, don't delete it.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

No, they were mostly used for passive aggressive stuff and we’ve already lost a few quality posters because of them. I personally don’t have the energy to deal with something so toxic.

Barnacle likes this.
  4. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

We've lost posters due to them going as well.

Soldi likes this.
  5. Rita

Rita User

The issue is I am not sure that some people can and would.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

who?

7. Rita

Rita User

Shirley

8. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I don't think it's as easy as saying that we'll draw a line on the past. Do we remember that just before tags were removed, there was an incident where a potentially anti-Semitic tag was found on an old topic with about four replies? The mods noted that it seemed out of character, removed it, warned the poster who was very apologetic and, quite rightly, never told anyone who it was. If tags had been public at that point, I'm sure there would have been a great big argument and half the forum would still be thinking of the mystery tagger as 'the anti-Semitic one'. We're a small community and I feel that this sort of public shaming would be both inevitable and unfair if tags are made public with the old ones still in place.

Star likes this.
  9. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

At the very least Shirley.

10. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I've voted 'no' on the basis that it's close to science fiction to think that people are going to police themselves. There's a whole thread called "Late night drunk moopy". Know yourselves.

Also, we had this conversation less than four months ago and suggesting that was "another time" is completely disingenuous. I miss tags but I don't miss people personally insulting me because I made a joke about the death of your future king.

funky, dUb, Phoenix and 1 other person like this.
  11. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

I haven’t missed them.

And they really did cause people to leave / get offended etc.

so it’s a no from me.

dUb likes this.
  12. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Do we know for a fact that Shirley has left and has done so because tags were removed? This has been floated by a few people.

13. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Who do know that's left DUE to tags?

It's all based on presumptions anyway.

14. Rita

Rita User

Practically NECK AND NECK.

15. SDF

We shouldn’t just bring them back because ‘it’s a laugh innit’

Tags caused great offence to others. They were mean. And if we’ve really moved on from
    Moopyrate then we can also move on from tags.

KindaCool, VoR, dUb and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rita

Rita User

I really didn’t think it would be as close at this. I assumed a landslide one way or the other.

17. SDF

And finally the point on learning from the past, it’s not always clear when a tag was left? So a bump of an old topic can then cause someone to notice something they didn’t before and all hell to break loose

lolly and dUb like this.
  18. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I think that's why there was a suggestion of deleting all previous tags and starting from the beginning.

19. Soldi

Soldi America’s Fun Aunt

20. Soldi

Soldi America’s Fun Aunt

52%/48% :basil:

21. SDF

So I thought part of the argument was that they were part of our history and people wanted the old ones back?

Are we going to just keep on deleting them every time someone leaves a mean tag, or sentiment changes on what is or isn’t acceptable to say?

22. SDF

Also I know this has come up a few times, but mods standing for election - it would be good to know your stance on this. It doesn’t seem like you’ve all voted in the above poll?

23. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

If deleting the old ones is the only way to have them back then fine. They are as good as lost forever anyway if we don't bring them back at all.

24. COB

COB DIONIN

I genuinely don't know where I stand on this, I've realised.

25. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

I agree. I don't think they're as catastrophic as Moopyrate would be but they're tarnished for me.

And unless I'm reading it wrongly it's bothering me frankly that people are disregarding what has been said and implying that a Moopy wide yes/no vote will give validity to bringing them back. Again, it screams 'Most of the yes voters have never been bothered by it, and some may have actually perpetrated the crappy tags of the past, but they're a majority so maybe we should bring them back!!!'.

Logic?, Pingu, lolly and 3 others like this.
  26. Soldi

Soldi America’s Fun Aunt

SDF likes this.
  27. Barnacle

Edited.

28. L. Põldvere

L. Põldvere ALIAS # 5,765

The irony of this fundamentally being an unmoderated space in which we can call each other cunts and throw around hate speech as we please (as long as it’s in accord with the Moopy Way) and this fuss about not wanting snarky tags back is obviously lost on some of you.

From what I can gather, Shirley did leave because of tags being removed and I (Zu, obviously - I know I said I wouldn’t but I’m a lunatic so shove it up your gunny if you don’t like it :disco:) would say that they brought a very particular peculiarity to proceedings. If tags are genuinely offensive, report ‘em, string the lounger up and throw ‘em out! Add their current absence to the recent call to have dreary old crappo copies of iOS smileys added to the collection and you’re left with something which isn’t nearly as distinctive as it once was. If that makes me old school, ÇA M’EST ÉGAL :disco:

Ag, Kate and Soldi like this.
  29. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Yes, I admit I hadn't considered that aspect.

I'm increasingly coming down on the side of NO.

30. Barnacle

I'd also be interested in weighing up/considering the following:

Posters who want tags posting in a tagless moopy

Vs

Posters who don't want tags posting in a Moopy that has brought them back -

Which group of posters would be happier and more comfortable posting here in the given situation?

31. dUb

dUb THESE WORDS JUST COME OUT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SDF likes this.
  32. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I don't think we do throw around hate speech. Yes, Moopy has a very particular humour and it can be harsh but I think there's a difference between a post that's on the border of acceptability and anonymous bullying and that's essentially where we got to with tags, mores the pity.

Rita and Barnacle like this.
  33. SDF

I think when you look at whether we should or shouldn’t have tags, you actually need to turn to the people who felt consistently bullied, victimised or offended by them

And everyone who was, as far as I can tell, is saying no. So it’s not enough that they are a bit of fun.

Soldi likes this.
  34. Soldi

Soldi America’s Fun Aunt

To those that were bullied/targeted/offended by the tags, would you consider leaving in the event that they were brought back, even with amendments?

35. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

That's a bit of an unfair question, no?

36. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I just got an e-mail from BLM - the heading is "We demand a public apology" and my first thought was "fuck's sake, what have I done NOW?" and I'm blaming this conversation for that.

Diddy and Soldi like this.
  37. Soldi

Soldi America’s Fun Aunt

It isn’t intended to! I’d just consider changing my vote from yes to no if that would be the case, I wouldn’t want more people to leave over it.

38. L. Põldvere

L. Põldvere ALIAS # 5,765

But we DO! (I certainly have over the last 11 years.) Calling someone a cunt is, whether we agree with it or not, surely defined as hate speech. Personally it’s one of my favourite words because of its power and attack, but one of my first posts (which included it) when we moved to XenForo was flagged up as hate speech and I got a pop-up message about it. Luckily the police were very understanding :(

Soldi likes this.
  39. Indie

Indie Great Tits

On a "pure" level I want them back. I wanted to tag something the other day and completely forgot they had gone. Is a loss.

But i get the strength of feeling against. And they've caused me plenty of anguish around the last debate.

I think it would have to be a delete all, make public, and start again.

Rita, lolly, Ag and 1 other person like this.
  40. Barnacle

I'd feel less comfortable posting but wouldn't leave. If the same thing happened again I would.

And there are posters who got it far worse than I did, but I did receive a barrage of low to mid level stuff that made me feel very unhappy.

Ultimately we don't know for sure who was making the tags, and I'm sure they have a number of their own issues if they were in the state of mind where bringing down other posters made them feel better, but I'll repeat that it does continue to annoy me that some of them are likely advocating for a return of tags through the 'yes' option (or even by commenting).

Rita, Soldi, Peekaboo and 1 other person like this.