TENNIS 2018

Discussion in 'Sport' started by wildchild, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Oh is that on? Haven’t seen a World Cup match in full since 1998 and I was forced then. I think I remember turning one off 8 years ago when I got sick of Ghana diving every 30 seconds.

2. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Terrible

3. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I think this will give Nole the boost to win a few more slams over the next couple of years. US Open will be interesting. Tally count for multiple winners who are currently active:

Federer 20
    Nadal 17
    Djokovic 13
    Murray 3
    Wawrinka 3

Serena 23
    Venus 7
    Sharapova 5
    Kerber 3
    Azarenka 2
    Kuznetsova 2
    Kvitova 2
    Muguruza 2

4. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

So the US Open finals are set, I felt compelled to make a token post.

Djokovic v Del Potro. Kind of rooting for Juan Martin in this one. He's been there or thereabouts for so long and definitely deserves to add to his grand slam title tally of 1. Kinda like the Sabatini of men's tennis, really deserves/d a few more big moments.

Ladies final is kinda intriguing. Serena v Naomi Osaka. Serena going for her 24th singles slam title. That it would upset the hateful old hag Margaret Court is reason enough to want her to win. Naomi has always looked the part of a major star on court and this fortnight has played like it too. She absorbed Madison Keys' big shots in the semis so well and served great. I just hope if she wins she can translate it to consistent top level play on the tour.

5. Dark Carnival

I'm just glad Nadal is not in the final :)

Edward and Kevin like this.
  6. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I'd rather see him in the final than see him get injured which he did. But gives JMDP an opp.

7. Dark Carnival

I'm ok with it, Juan totally knew how to handle him.

8. Jark

Jark User

Wow. Serena completely blew it just when she was on track to wrestle the match back with that epic tirade of abuse directed at the umpire :o the rage really consumed her whole. I feel bad for both of them but especially Osaka for winning in those circumstances. She did not look overjoyed.

9. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Umpire really was too literal with the rules. It's high level high tension give a little feckin leeway, it's not the ballet. Osaka play well, I only hope she can deliver more often. Felt bad that her joy was ruined by the umpiring.

10. cwej

cwej User

Osaka has delivered well pretty much all year and got better and better. I wouldn't be surprised to see her win the End of Year Championships too.

Serena was out of control. I think Carlos got the umpiring fully correct and frankly the way Serena spoke to him was despicable. It wasn't the 'thief' comment, it was the one minute tirade she gave him before. If she'd JUST said the thief comment I reckon he might have let it go. And then she acted like a sweet innocent little girl, who's never done anything wrong, with the referee. It's the exact same thing I see with 12 year olds all the time, when they do something wrong, then start crying when they realise they've been caught, the only difference being Serena is 36 years old and needs to learn to deal with her emotions better, like the rest of the players.

Edward likes this.
  11. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I agree that she doesn't come up smelling of roses and that she has previous form talking to umpires and line watchers in ways that I think are out of order, but I was quite shocked to see someone discussing this on Twitter sharing a video of Roger Federer snapping back at the umpire, swearing at him and telling him "don't fucking tell me to shut up, I'll shut up when I want to" and such which I also found quite shocking - and he didn't even get a warning.

I wonder if there is an underlying sense of racism (the angry black woman) and also sexism in the expectations we have for women and what we expect from men. I don't watch enough tennis to know if it's true, but that video of 'nice guy' Federer opened my eyes a little bit.

Ellie and BoysForSeles like this.
  12. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

The umpire was overly sensitive. General tennis protocol is you get a soft warning i.e umpire at changeover tells u they noticed something and if it occurs again you'll get a warning. He went straight to the warning. The racket smash is unavoidable. The thief game deduction was out of order. Of course she's not literally labelling him a thief. Thicker skin required in this kind of cauldron.

At the Citi Open a couple of years back Zverev called the same umpire Ramos a "fucking idiot" and said "I'll fucking talk to you however I fucking want to". Not even a warning was given.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Jark likes this.
  13. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Really? If that's the case then she has a totally valid point.

14. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Yep I remember it plus someone put it up on Facebook as part of a "heated" debate. Debate was not with me though.

15. cwej

cwej User

I hate Federer. I think it is more special case for Federer than it is special case for Serena though. I will never and can never understand what it is like to be a woman or black in a society focused around men and white people - but on this occasion, she was out of order.

16. cwej

cwej User

Code violation straight away here with a different umpire - follows the rules to the letter, just like Carlos did with Serena.

Can't find another one of Zverev on Youtube?

Problem for Serena is these things always seem to happen in the very biggest matches: US Open 2009 SF, US Open 2011 Final, US Open 2018 Final. She was only able to call the sexist card in the final case, because the first two umpires were women.. but she went perilously close to calling Asderaki racist I think when she called her a 'hater'...

17. cwej

cwej User

just watched this. As much as I do not like Federer, his demeanour and manner of complaining is COMPLETELY different to Serena's.

In all of these occasions he should not receive a code violation, except the very last one where he uses foul language in his argument and does accuse the umpire in a roundabout way of favouritism (which is against the rules).

18. Dark Carnival

She called him a thief AND a liar, I'm sorry but what she got for that abusive behaviour was totally justified. As for the sexism thing, Ramos has given same sanctions to male players (look up Djokovic talking in Serbian and gesturing at him and then getting a warning), so it's not valid.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    cwej likes this.
  19. Dark Carnival

20. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I know folks rarely care about tennis post-US Open but if anything Aryna Sabalenka currently makes a VERY strong point that the REAL sliding doors match of New York was the 4th round between her and Osaka.

cwej likes this.
  21. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Disgusting behaviour from Verdasco this week towards a ball kid. Not even a reprimand.

Osaka v Sabalenka was key for Osaka. Don't think Aryna would have gone on to take the title. Naomi's serving was beyond clutch in the semis and final.

22. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Sabalenka brushed aside Keys like it was no big deal in Cincy, pretty sure she'd have had a very strong shot at the finals -- everything beyond that is almost pointless in terms of speculation considering all the IFs and WHENs.

23. cwej

cwej User

Sabalenka and Osaka are the future for women's tennis.

Osaka in particular to these eyes. She hasn't really buckled at all since US Open either.

24. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

At Indian Wells and since the US Open Osaka has looked the real deal. Rock solid with great serve and her movement is so good right now too. I think her biggest struggle will be maintaining it due to her introverted, laid back personality but that's where her team will have to do their job when she's going onto court.

Sabalenka is fearless, she looks like a top player, and like Osaka seems to like a big occasion which is hugely important. I like her but was disappointed to see her being such a diva with the ball kids today, including waving an empty water bottle at them to fill and when they didn't notice straight away she threw it 3 feet in front of her onto the court in a strop.

25. Edward

Edward User

:evil: The bint.

Brings back terrible memories.

26. Edward

Edward User

Surprised no one has mentioned news of Andy Murray's imminent retirement from the game. A shame but not entirely unexpected.

27. Dark Carnival

That press conference was heartbreaking. He just couldn’t get himself to say he was putting an end to his tennis career :(

28. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I actually can’t watch the press conference the stills are too much :(