Tennis 2019

Discussion in 'Sport' started by cwej, Jan 12, 2019.

1. cwej

cwej User

I know this has been started in Tennis 2018 but absolutely gutted at the Murray news. First time I remember crying about tennis since Baltacha's death. He did SO WELL but just never quite lived up to his real potential in this era of super-humans.

Aussie Open predictions:

Djokovic
    Osaka

My second choices would be:

Nadal
    Kerber

Ellie likes this.
  2. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Nadal? Really? I wouldn't rule him out obviously, but he's the kind of player who needs some matches under his belt to get going. He hasn't played much and he doesn't seem to be in amazing form.

3. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Women’s top quarter is pretty brutal if everyone brings their game. Halep rematch with Kanepi in first round, Kaia blitzed her at the US Open in the first round but I think Kaia is injured right now. Serena, Venus, Pliskova and Muguruza all up in that quarter too.

Osaka lost to Linette when they played last summer but think she’ll be ok in a slam in the 1st round against her.

Federer was playing very well in Hopman Cup, I think if he brings that play he wins against anyone other than Djokovic. If Nole gets to the latter stages I think he’ll win.

Women I think Serena’s taking this. Sloane has a terrible record in Australia, but I think she’s overdue a run here so I think she’ll go deep.

4. cwej

cwej User

Yeah I'd still go Nadal - but a DISTANT second from Djokovic who I think is the significant favourite for me.

5. cwej

cwej User

I think Venus will lose to Buzarnescu.

6. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

This was a high level match, both players playing like that were unlucky with the draw but glad Venus fought her way through. Good all court play from both.

7. wildchild

wildchild fine piece of real estate

Very happy for Pova, managing to take out defending champ Wozniacki. She'll probably loose to Barty in the next round, though.

Halep - Venus starts soon - winner plays Serena. In general, the seeds seem to be holding on better this time than in the past couple of Slams.

8. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

Federer out and Kerber dismantled. It's been a bad day for the biggest seeds. Tsitsipas looks like a very good player indeed.

9. Superstylin'

Superstylin' User

Fuxking hell! I just saw a picture of Kvitovas hand all sliced up. It’s amazing that she has recovered from that sort of injury and back into a Slam Final. As much as I enjoy Osaka’s game, I’ll be rooting for Petra on Saturday.

Link to article here(not for the squeamish) —> https://t.co/JIfFDxbJ8V

10. cwej

cwej User

Man I wish I'd put some money on these results... hope my predictions come true now.

11. cwej

cwej User

What a match that was... And a wonderful World Numbers 1 and 2. Very excited about Osaka and her future. I really don't think it's too early to predict her to have double-figures in grand slams. She's just SO GOOD under pressure. Even losing those 3 match points in the 2nd set, to come back and play well again is crazy.