Tennis 2020

Discussion in 'Sport' started by cwej, Feb 1, 2020.

1. cwej

cwej User

Seeing as that is the year now.

Just watching Kenin-Muguruza final. Muguruza is one of those players that I can't really believe has made 4 slam finals... she's so unknown outside of tennis itself.

2. Alla

Alla ®

Not even here, most people have no idea who she is. The fact that she's not constant and a good player most of the time doesn't help.

3. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I hope you followed the sheer endless "10 defining players of the decade" debate at the end of 2019 because I felt it was really telling about how Muguruza is viewed even within tennis (so many people left her off) and it correlates with the assessment that no one knows her outside of the sport. For someone with two slams, she's made literally *no* impact on the sport - even within Spain. And there was a lot going on with her coaching setup, management setup and so on in the last 2-3 years that didn't help matters.

Kenin really reminds me of a duracell bunny Zvonareva. It's quite striking.

4. cwej

cwej User

I ALWAYS forget about her when trying to list grand slam winners etc. She's the perfect pointless answer for 'Name a multiple singles grand slam winner'. I am pleased Kenin won, I think she has more overall potential long term.

And I'm so happy for Djokovic. Touch and go for a bit - he almost fucked himself over with his time violation tantrum... I think that's half the reason he went 2-1 down. But the umpire was 100% right and Djokovic needs to get over it.

5. cwej

cwej User

I also enjoyed the drama in the mixed doubles in which Strycova had a strop with Murray and Mattek-Sands. I love all three of those players, so it was very entertaining. :D