Thank you for the question: Lou's Top 10 Diva Moments 2012

Discussion in 'Divas' started by Loufoque, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

I'm shocked at the lack of Madonna and Super Bowl albums in this thread :o

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

How do you know it's not coming?

3. Pipo

I can GUESS the Top 2 with MY EYES CLOSED :disco:

I won't cause I hate spoilers though

4. Loufoque

You think you know... but you have NO IDEA :disco:

5. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

:D!

6. Penelope

I don't know if the Superbowl would be top two. There was far too much LMFAO to put it above Christina, regardless of the golden thrones ETC.

Whitney's probably going to win I think.

7. Pipo

I've got FIVE WORDS penny

SLAM
    IT
    TO
    THE
    LEFT

8. Penelope

Oh god of COURSE

9. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

If the SGs don't SWEEP the FRIGGING BOARD with this, there will be UPTIGHT GAY HELL TO PAY

10. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

And let's be frank, that pitiful Madonna Superbowl "perf" would barely register in even Dr L or straightorbroken's Top One Hundred moments of the DECADE, let alone anyone else's!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  11. Penelope

I was WONDERING why it was even being mentioned!

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Whitney 2nd, Spice Girls 1st

I really CAN'T accept anything ELSE

13. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've just had my UMPTEENTH moment to this AGAIN

Zig-ah-zig-AH
    Hai Si Ja
    Zig-ah-zig-AH
    Hai Si Ja
    Zig-ah-zig-AH
    Ai Si Ja
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH....

:disco: FUCKING INFERNO

14. Commotion

Commotion User

But Whitney DROWNED. In a BATH!!!!!!

Utterly iconic.

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It's a no brainer for me. I actually loved Whitney for all sorts of reasons but going out face down in a bath tub is not one of them.

16. Commotion

Commotion User

Perhaps.

But Emma Bunton is NOT a diva.

17. Loufoque

This will end today.

Mainly because my laptop is being REVOKED, my iMac is in storage, and Diva Moments are not something to be done OVER THE PHONE

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  18. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

It's good to see Non-Chartina get some recognition this year.

19. Loufoque

2. Sinking to rise no more

[​IMG]

Number of women empowered: No one was empowered by this
    Number of gays required to pull it off: None
    Thank You (Dedication to...) Floella, Moopy's Whitney to my Mariah. A small but still resilient voice.
    Reading on the gaycoma-ter: n/a

I remember the moment I heard that Whitney Houston, one of my favourite artists of all-time, had died. I'd gone to bed that night, having spoken to my boyfriend over the phone. He had asked me whether I'd seen the pictures of Whitney that were circulating the blogs: you know, the ones from the Kelly Price party. I remember saying to him: "She's going to die soon, if she doesn't get her act together."

At 2am, I was woken up by a phone call from my sister. She was out, drunk, and had heard what had happened in LA. Knowing how much of a fan I am, she called me, delivering the news with her trademark inebriation-fuelled subtlety: "Whitney Houston is dead. She's dead." Not really registering, I hung up and rolled over. I looked at my phone again, to find a text from my boyfriend: "Whitney Houston is dead for real."

The first thing I did was to come on to Moopy. Having spent much of 2009 furiously anticipating Whitney's comeback album on here, it is a place I instinctively associate with her. Moopy confirmed the worst: she was gone. I remember sitting in my room, with my headphones on, playing I Look To You on repeat and sobbing. It was the second verse that kept hitting me.

The song talks about defiance and determination in the face of seemingly insurmountable struggles. The lyric, which had once seemed plaintive and quietly triumphant, now felt tragic in its failure to be realised. Whitney had finally been defeated.

Of course, none of this was surprising, as many commentators would go on to state in the days that followed. But even though I'd unconsciously predicted her death only a few hours before, it still shocked me. I look back on the way I reacted to her 2009 comeback (see my Top 25 Diva Moments of the 2000s, where I ranked it the #1 moment of the decade), and I see how naively I wanted to believe the Arista spin; I wanted to believe in the diva fairytale. That she had looked death in the face, and that her ferocity, her sheer force of will, her charisma and her drive had saved her. It's no secret that I love strong women. I love the glamour and the fighting spirit with which they are imbued. And Whitney's comeback spoke to me for that very reason. And it's what made her death even sadder.

I'm not going to write about her fabulous diva demise, caused by a cocktail of cocaine or Xanax, or discuss the scurrilous rumours that surrounded her at the time and have persisted ever since. Maybe they're all true, some of them undoubtedly are.

I love Whitney too much for that. She gave me so many joyous moments. Hours would pass as I watched her videos, her live performances, listen to her music. She was one of the last great superstars, and in many ways, was too old-school for the age we live in today. I thought Kathy Griffin summed it up pretty well:

I will always love you, Ms Houston.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K26_OZunM1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Commotion

Commotion User

Mariah really is the Queen of Shading. Even in tragedy she gets a little dig in.

*Waggles finger* 'One thing we all know is that Whitney was not be toyed with.' *Giggle*

21. Loufoque

1. People of the world, spice up your life!

[​IMG]

Number of women empowered: Every bitch in the 25-35 demographic
    Number of gays required to pull it off: Thousands
    Thank You (Dedication to...) My Moopy Spice Queens (VoR, Jonfessions, Pipo, Beverley, Dark Carnival)
    Reading on the gaycoma-ter: 17

It could only end like this.

Never was a moment so joyful.

I think those members of Moopy who weren't born between 1983 and 1989 will never be able to properly appreciate what this moment meant to those of use who were.

There is a shot of Geri right at the beginning of the Spice Girls performance at the Closing Ceremony which sums the whole thing up for me. She raises her arm triumphantly, and then seems to take an involuntary gasp. It's like she can't quite believe what is actually happening. And I think I speak for all my Spice Queens when I say that's exactly how we felt too.

For a moment, we were transported back to the innocent, carefree days of 1996, where these girls symbolised everything that mattered: fun, freedom, excitement and enjoyment. They were riotous, revolutionary, even. In many ways, the influence they had an a generation of girls and a certain number of boys was immeasurable.

But the magic of this performance was not only in its nostalgia. It was a wonderful moment in its own right. The girls looked fabulous, and formidable. Dressed to perfection, and commanding the stage with the same audacity as they had done the week Wannabe was released, the reunion reminded us why the Spice Girls were more than just a pop band: they were a phenomenon, a force of nature.

The power of the five of them on one stage is quite remarkable. Each girl brings something to the table, and the result is so much greater than the sum of its parts. Mel B's raw, animalistic energy drives the performance forward with great momentum, Emma's joyful smile is wonderfully infectious, Melanie C's poise made for some great shots, Geri's plea for everyone to get their hands in the air belied her typically ridiculous scheme to get the rest of the girls go handrail-less on top of the cabs, and VB's aloof arrogance provided a much-needed counterpoint to the jubilant enthusiasm exuded by the other four.

Indeed, by the time the girls were being whizzed around the stadium, screeching at the top of their lungs, I had all but passed out. I have spent the last six months reviewing the performance in a bid to re-capture the glee that it engendered in me the first time. And it rarely fails.

I personally don't want a reunion from the girls. This was enough for me. They came, they spiced up and then they were gone again. The Spice Girls were never built to last. They're built to shake things up when life starts to get boring. They should stay scarce, because they are all the more fabulous for it.

HI CI JA! HOLD TIGHT!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PArTdhNda7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

22. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

exactly. I can exclusively reveal that the work Christmas karaoke party was SAVED last night by one level-headed gay who realised that the glum mood produced by having the inevitable chancers singing Frank Sinatra and Barbara Streisand could be REVERSED by sticking on "Who Do You Think You Are?" BOOM, the room lit up, old and young united.

23. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Amazing countdown and WHAT a number one. I still haven't quite recovered from it. I don't know that I ever will. :disco:

Beautiful write up for Whitney too. BRAVO LOU.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  24. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Well done Lou. Just so you know I care.

Can't believe you actually cried over Whitney, but I don't have feelings, so...

25. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Great thread, though I mainly loved it for the " I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting...." quote. So adaptable for any awkward question. I'm going to use it regularly in work from now on.

26. Loufoque

oh the SHADE :disco:

Someone has been taking TIPS from this thread

27. Loufoque

You will over Mariah, believe me

28. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I suspect Mariah will out-live everyone in this thread.

If there was ever a candidate for ZSA ZSA status, it's her. She'll still be sipping cristal when she's just a vocal chord in a black ensemble in a jar.

29. Loufoque

Let's hope so, VoR

I need Mariah to keep on living for a good few decades yet

30. Commotion

Commotion User

Miss Monroe was born for a reason you know - replacement organs for Mommy. Why do you think she wears glasses already, while Mommy still enjoys 20/20 vision?

Mariah will live for centuries. In the year 6357 I can picture her sipping Cristal. With Cher.

31. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

Fabulous thread, Lou. You capture the Spice Girls brilliantly. I hope you still enjoy them as a fourpiece.

Your Whitney writeup was very moving. I was in shock at her death too. Your account reminds me of when MJ passed - I was numb with disbelief when I heard and all that evening. The next morning I broke down crying in the shower. :(

32. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I was actually shaking during the Olympics perf :disco: My happiest moment of 2012 without a doubt.

33. Penelope

This TOO for Gold