The Americans

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Phoenix, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

New FX drama that debuted this week about two Russian agents in the US during the 80's starring Keri Russel and Mathew Ryhs

[​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gth9kl2Q4I0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i thought the first episode was ok, i didn't feel like it went anywhere in terms of what the story will be and it's too serious to be a crazy spy thriller like Alias. Still the performances were good and i do like the 80's hair and style so i'll stick with it for a few more episodes to see how it goes.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

So I actually stopped watching this after the first episode and then burned through it on my holiday. It's not the most exciting show although it builds momentum in the last 4-5 episodes but it's still a very enjoyable series. Shame that Margo Martindale won't be back for season 2 as she was fabulous.

I'm also in love with the theme song

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j5PzJGJQ6bM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Season 2 is airing now, you should watch it :evil:

4. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I loved the first series - is the second as good?

5. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Better. It's more tightly focused (probably for budgetary reasons as much as anything), but that just serves to heighten everything that was so good about S1.

6. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Oh and YES, the theme tune is amazing Phoenix, really wish it was longer or there was a full length version available on a soundtrack or something.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Yeah, they've aired six episodes so far. It's really more of the same and they're trying to give the women that are not Elizabeth stuff to do.

8. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I've started watching this on my free trial for Amazon Prime. Will report back. :disco:

9. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I thought the season 1 poster was great but this is amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm two episodes into season 3 and yeah it's still really good.

10. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I can confirm this is still one of the very best shows on TV. The characters feel so real and that's as much testament to some excellent writing as it is the incredible performances from Matthew and Keri. I'm really enjoying the arcs this season too, after a slightly slow start. I do hope FX have enough love for it to keep it around for at least a final fourth season, the ratings this season have been pretty terrible so far.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Before the season started they were saying defenitly five seasons and that they love the show. I think they will at least give it a final season to wrap up.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

They really kicked things up this season. Loving everything with Matha and Elizabeth taking down both Phillip and Page in the latest episode was amazing.

13. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I've been watching this on DVD and it's AMAAAAAAAAYZING

Especially noted character actress MARGO MARTINDALE :disco:

[​IMG]

14. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Any mention of Margo Martindale compels me to post this, which can never be viewed too many times.

[video=youtube;mJG0lqukJTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJG0lqukJTQ[/video]

ameraal likes this.
  15. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Margo Martindale was good in season 1 but then she decided to fuck off and do that horrible sitcom instead so she now only makes one or two appearances per season.

16. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I'm only catching up on S4 now, the end of episode 4 really got me. It feels a little off that THAT is how it all ends, but at the same time the story had run its course and it's fitting for the world they are in.

17. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

So we're getting 2 more season (13 episode S5, 10 episode S6) and then DONE. That seems fair, 75 episodes is a great run and it should hopefully bow out before the quality dips.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Honestly I would have preferred one more season as it feels things are winding down. But anyway I'm glad they're getting to finish on their terms.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

What a dull season, there were some good scenes but overall the longest setup for a final season ever.

20. ameraal

ameraal at least at times you knew me

i started watching this (because of ex-mr ameraal). slept almost all through season one. two is markedly better, halfway through that.

i find both leads so awfully unappealing. thank god for ms martingale *.*

21. ameraal

oh wow. episode nine and i'm either really high or it's a whole new show.

22. ameraal

i've disliked keri russel (and curly hair) ever since she fucked carla gugino's boyfriend.

i'll remember for moopyrate if anyone gets that.

23. ameraal

season 3, episode 7 and this is really ricking up.

spoiler!? the chain during the finals scenes, martha's moments... this is almost like a pretty good show now.

24. ameraal

i can't wait for someone to whack pastor tim over the head with a really large kelly family cd.

25. ameraal

shit, dinner with pastor fucking tim and stan motherfucking beeman? pissing myself or something.

26. ameraal

i find this show a bit frustrating to be honest. they don't know how to make a cliffhanger to save their lives. the season finales have been absolutely rubbish in creating suspense or hunger for the next season. some really irrelevant scenes are painfully long and others that could be dynamite are brushed off (i can't believe that's all we got from the dinner with stan and the good father).

it's all there otherwise, the story and the characters, though they can play so much more with the 80s stuff.

also, i can't warm to russel or rhys at all still. guess it's just not going to happen on that front.

just started season five. can't wait to finish it at this point.

27. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

If I remember correctly, season 4 ends in a very muddled way. I stick with it cause I like the cast and every now and then there's an amazing episode like the one with the old lady at the shop where they were fixing the mail robot.

28. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Also the art of each season is really pretty.

29. ameraal

yes! that's the thing, it could just be so much better than it is. there is some really great stuff in there.

30. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Do Mail Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep (said episode) is absolutely the high point of the show. I did rather enjoy season 5, probably because I watched it back to back in 2 days, but I do agree that it COULD be so much more. Keri and Matthew are always excellent though and it's still lovely when Character Actress Margo Martindale pops up to do some character acting.

31. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I enjoyed Margo in season 1 but since then I felt her schedule didn't allow them to use her properly and she became a bit of a weakness.

32. ameraal

she doesn't do much at all anymore apart from showing up in the odd scene with gabriel where she says one thing and he says the opposite and everyone watching the show says whatever.

33. ameraal

i think i've enjoyed the martha and nina storylines the most. some brilliant moments in there.

34. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Ugh, Gabriel. Just no.

35. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I really loved the season 6 premier. More tension than all of season 5, I also love where they seem to be going. Elizabeth looks a hot mess.

36. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Oh god, I’m so worried after watching the preview of next week. Only four episodes left and I don’t think they’re gonna make it.

37. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Loved the finale. Such an excellent television episode. It definitely got more uneven in later seasons but the second half of this one really ramped up.

Poor Oleg, left sat there. The drive at the end was so tense too.

38. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

That train scene was everything. The final episode is probably one of the best episodes of the six seasons.

39. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

On yes, so many moments in that scene without the main characters speaking. Keri Russell's disguise should have been fooling no one though.