The By-elections Thread - 2015-2017 edition

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Sharla, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

No one's died yet but things are getting quite juicy in Scotland.

Post election, Alistair Carmichael admitted he lied about not having been involved in the leak of the document that said Sturgeon wanted Cameron instead of Miliband as Prime Minister. There's been an SNP activist led campaign to force him to resign and for the election to be re-run with the possible outcome that the Lib Dems lose their last seat in Scotland and the SNP take Orkney & Shetland to make it 57 out of 59 seats. There's no date yet for a court hearing.

HOWEVER.

There's a real stink about Michelle Thompson, an odd looking MP for Edinburgh West, who has built up a buy-to-let portfolio of 17 HOUSES, apparently buying homes from vulnerable families in debt below the market value. There's a link to a dodgy solicitor who has been struck off and possibly a lack of honesty from Sturgeon about how much she knew about Miss Thompson's property dealings which hardly fit in with the populist FOR THE ORDINARY PEOPLE message they've been screaming and shouting. She's already resigned the whip while matters are being investigated and from today's Guardian article:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...mp-michelle-thomson-suspicious-property-deals

http://order-order.com/2015/10/01/sturgeon-swerves-scandal-questions-at-fiery-fmqs/#:SIJbJckyfeBNCA

MT won the seat from the Lib Dems with a majority of 3000 or a 39% share.

[​IMG]

2. Penelope

Penelope SMIRKING LESBIAN MOON

Of course, the Bless├ęd Nicola can do no wrong (despite the court review of the document leak finding the transcription of her Cameron comments was accurate!), so it'll probably be a double win for the SNP. However Edinburgh West was one of the ones the Lib Dems came closest to holding, so if they run Mike Crockart there again and squeeze the Labour vote they could be in with a shout.

3. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

It's so fucking depressing that the SNP are so dominant now. I did have to laugh the other day when I was at my mothers and we were watching TV and Nicola came on a news bulletin and my mum just blurted out 'I cannot stand that woman. What a cow' :D

4. Penelope

Sharla to write the next chapter of the dystopian parallel universe wherein Kala has become the QUEEN OF THE RESISTANCE in an independent Scotland

5. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I can't see the SNP taking Orkney.

6. Penelope

They were only 800 votes off doing it in May! And having a...dedicated fanbase is always an advantage in lower turnout by-elections.

7. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Is everyone claiming to know about Orkney voting demographics now?

This is just like Eurovision, add some ethno tit-shakers and suddenly everyone's got an angle on the relative popularities of Belarussian drum & bass vs dance pop

8. Penelope

Well it has been a Liberal seat for all but two elections since 1837, so it's not *that* out there for Eileen to predict it to stay that way.

9. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The unknown would obviously be how the non Lib Dem voting unionists from May vote.

Hopefully Alistair Carmichael will use as part of his defence Salmond's blatant lie on the legal advice he didn't receive on EU membership post independence Scottish government which he spent TAXPAYERS MONEY on fighting FOI requests to keep hidden.

The Michelle Thompson case could potentially implicate Mister Sturgeon as the SNP's Chief Exec as he blatantly knew something about MT's (I want to call her ET for some reason) shenanigans.

10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Who said anyone has to back their prophecies with anything?

Not really singling you and Ei out, if anything you have the info and try to crush any resistance with it.

And if there's anything Eileen knows about, it's the obscurest stuff

11. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

BREAKING NEWS: The SNP have stopped selling their high quality branded "56" products on their website.

Bitter nationalists will no longer be able to buy a loathed unionist colleague a tawdry looking mug for their upcoming secret santa.

[​IMG]

12. Eileen

I'll keep this brief because Ethiopian WiFi is shit but those islands are nominally protestant meaning historically they're unionist.

But let's see what happens.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  13. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

So Oldham West and Royton will be going to the polls soonish. A safe Labour seat but UKIP came second last time.

14. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The five main parties have announced their candidates for next month's Oldham by election.

There's a Jane, a James, a Jim, a John and a Simeon. All a bit predictable as to who is standing for who.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  15. Eileen

16. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

So The 56 are now down to The 54 with another financial scandal which has left the police sniffing around. You'd think the SNP were a party taken aback by their sudden rise in popularity and unable to vet the people standing for them, a la UKIP, not a party of government for 8 years.

And speaking of UKIP I really hope they do badly in Oldham, even if it means one less crisis for Corbyn to navigate jis way through.

17. Penelope

I think it's mostly as a lot of them were fairly high up in various independence campaigns, so they might have been assumed trustworthy from prior reputation. And in fairness stuff like the McGarry thing takes a while to come out in the wash, so it probably wouldn't have come up in vetting even then.

18. Penelope

Labour's in and UKIP have TANKED :disco:

19. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

Paul nuttall is on this week complaining loads about postal votes. Apparently they shouldn't be allowed

20. Penelope

I love that Ukip still haven't got the hint that winning on the day if you're shit at winning postal votes doesn't make you the victor. They've been trotting that one out at every by-election for THREE YEARS NOW :D

21. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

Pretty comprehensive labour win. Of course, it says very little given the constuency, the candidate and the turnout

22. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I take comfort in the fact that UKIP haven't been able to make any significant impact. And I've just read that it was the UKIP candidate's FOURTH second place in Greater Manchester in two years :D

23. Eileen

HOORAH

24. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

25. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Fantastic result although I suspect not the referendum on Corbyn's leadership that is being bandied about.

I do find the discussion around "the muslim vote" quite uncomfortable though. The whole idea that muslims/ethnic minority communities need to be treated differently to win or maintain their support, be it through postal votes or gender segregated audiences at official party meetings, is not the way forward.

I used to work with a (white working class) woman who's father used to fill in the family's postal votes for them. She actually asked him once "Who did I vote for this time?"

26. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Hopefully the by elections will start to show a turn around in fortunes for the left. I wonder if the Lib Dems will be even slightly competitive between now and oh twenty

27. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

The MP for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough has died. It's another safe labour seat.

2015 General Election: Labour 57%, UKIP 22%, Conservatives 11%, Lib Dems 5%.

28. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Ogmore is another by election coming up where Labour had over 50% of the vote last year. When is there going to be a nice juicy marginal seat up for grabs?

29. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Safe seats but we can get a sense of swing. Sadly it's no indicator of the next election because there will be a new PM.

30. Penelope

We can get a sense of swing, but given last year's general saw Labour go up loads in safe seats but get murdered in marginals we can't really pull much out of it to show that trend isn't carrying on.

31. Madison

I guess we have to wait for a Tooting by-election.

32. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I could have sworn Sharla made a post in here.

33. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

There was a "wrong thread" post - I assume someone deleted it.

34. ThunderThighs

ThunderThighs BURSTING OUT ALL OVER

FOUND IT AT LAST! I REITERATE:

TODAY IS THE Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough BYELECTION :disco:

35. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

It truly is an underwhelming election FRENZY today!

36. Madison

Don't forget the fictional constituency of OGMORE

37. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Oh I'd forgotten about Ogmore. There'll probably be another gay MP with a beard heading to Westminster.

38. ThunderThighs

Ooh is that today too? IT'S ALL GOING ON

39. ThunderThighs

It's enough to make you want to stay up all night with someone who isn't David Dimbleby :david:

40. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

You get James Naughtie on Radio 4...