The Canadian cannibal killer / 1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by dUb, Jun 4, 2012.

?

1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick

1. I have watched it

8.3%
  2. I haven't watched it but want to

13.9%
  3. I haven't watched it and never want to ever thanks

77.8%
  1. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I'd love to get into one of your point picking debates, but despite everything I find the whole process rather TRAVIS.

2. cwej

cwej User

I'VE MOVED ON TO STEPHEN GRIFFITHS SINCE THANK YOU. Ian Huntley is dead to me.

[​IMG]

3. cwej

cwej User

Then why did you disagree in the first place? What a strange thing to say.

It's OBVIOUSLY the first time that the general public have had access to this kind of thing en masse, but you felt the need to come in and argue with that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

PHWOAR

5. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

In 20 days we meet for the first time in 10 years. I'm not rising to this.

6. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I have no intention of watching the video. But the fact that within a few finger clicks and probably about 15 seconds I COULD I do find sort of worrying. It's almost as if I feel I have to be protected from myself as in a moment of weakness I might do it.

7. Mats

Mats User

don't get any ideas from this thread now, both of you

8. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I'm gonna fuck his arm.

9. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

I'm quite glad to be able to say I have ZERO desire, repressed or otherwise, to watch a clip of someone being dismembered or whatever. But then I refused even to watch that 2 Girls 1 Cup thing or any variant thereof. Why do that to yourself? Some things can't be unseen!

10. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Could not agree more!

11. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

For once I am in utter agreement with Jark. I can visualise it and it's bad enough.

12. lolly

But I never WOULD do it. I was just in a roundabout way agreeing with cwej's point. It's just that I very easily COULD, and that frightens some paranoid part of me. And I'm sure some people would, just by virtue of the fact they can, and it's so easy.

13. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Likewise! I haven't watched either and would actively steer clear of doing so.

Watching Scream 4 is hardly on the same level in my book.

14. Dinlo

Dinlo Gypsy Princess

Now you see I disagree with this. I think there are very different motivations between watching a horror film and watching a snuff film. I think being able to watch a horror film and know that what you're seeing isn't real and is just pretend shows a healthy level of rationalisation. NO OFFENSE, but the people that can sit and calmy watch a genuine snuff film (or even get enjoyment out of it) show a disturbing inability to separate fantasy from reality. I'd keep an eye on any pets I had if I lived near someone like that. I'm not talking about people that give in and click on the video, only to duck out after a few seconds, I mean the ones that actually get a kick out of it. I remember teaching a couple of teenagers (brother and sister) who sat giggling at their computer looking at pictures of real dead bodies. Something was fundamentally wrong with them.

Also, I completely agree with Jark.

15. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

You are all pussies. WATCH THE FUCKED UP PSYCHO.

16. Mats

Mats User

meh, over it already

17. Suomi

Suomi User

Look, ever since you got a little peek at Janet Leigh having the worst shower of her life in "Psycho", audiences have been pushed and pushed by the media to take on more and more. So contextually by 2012 we're pretty out there in terms of what we can stomach, and then there's that thin (getting thinner by the year) layer of reality that separates our day-to-day lives from what is all up on the interwebs. We may know that it actually happened, the people may all be real, but we can still make it all go away by closing our monitors. And that's just not real life - although i'd love it if i could get out of stressful situations like Suomi the Teenage Witch by clicking my fingers or tapping my toes together three times like Dorothy when the Scarecrow gets a little full-on in one of the deleted Wizard of Oz scenes.

We'll always want to see what's bad for us, because curiosity is a powerful tool for natural selection. I certainly can't watch a real life video of a man getting killed by a hammer, but then I can't watch the Saw movies either. If we were early man i'd be hiding in the cave crying, hoping that the more curious hunters came back with something good to eat.

18. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Curiosity gets the better of me alot of the time. I'm a sucker for sites like Snopes.com or Rotten. One video I saw showed footage where a guy jumped off a cliff and his head split open down the middle and somehow he survived. He's seen in the operating room talking (well, mumbling and groaning) and its shockingly grim. He died sometime later.

Not especially graphic but disturbing is a video freely available on youtube of an Indian guy at a press conference who, mid-sentence, stops talking and dies. The life drains from his face instantly. It's not something I want to see again but I guess that some people get their kicks watching this stuff.

19. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Tommy Cooper carking it, is my upper limit.

20. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Actually R Budd Dwyer, but that was so long ago, it doesn't do anything for me now. I really wanna see that woman who shot herself reading the news. I don't know why. I am quite immune to some stuff, but this one is just too much.

21. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Just Google'd that, really bizarre moment... if I didn't know he actually died I would've guessed it was just part of his act like the laughing audience. What makes it worse is that the site said he was left lying their for precious minutes until they finally figured out what had happened, if they acted right away he could've survived.

22. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

The woman shooting herself in the news really is morbid stuff (not that the other stuff isn't but how she PLANNED the on-air suicide in line with her own reporting of suicide in the same segment). Her family obviously requested the tape never be showed again, if it had happened now instead of the 70s it would be all over the net in minutes regardless.

Watching that video Rhythm Bandit talked about led me to this one... the man who is quite clearly already dead and the news reporters have to cheerily carry on with their cue cards. A camera man quite insensitively decides to ZOOM IN on his dead face. :| Somehow I can watch these but not the sadistic serial killer videos, what does this say about me cwej?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S8GUYRRjJLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  23. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

Isn't that a spoof?

24. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Oh on further investigation it's from The Onion. Oops :D

At least my faith is restored in local news TV reporters

25. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

You genuinely thought that was real?

26. That One

That One User

OH DEAR pop

27. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Here's the video I was referring to.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9L8M5CzMhk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's another video but the screen grab is of him mid-way through his death.

28. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

"ignoring Iraq" I didn't pick up on until afterwards but yes it's very obvious in hindsight :(

29. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I totally forgot about this when I saw the Netflix documentary the other day.

30. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I only bumped cos a PERVERT guest was looking at it :)

Penelope likes this.
  31. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I watched the documentary and couldn't even remember this thread or the case. The Basic Instinct obsession was just bizarre... and his mother still thinking he's innocent and has been manipulated into doing these things.

I loved the methods the cat group used to find him though! I want in on their group for further cases.

32. lolly

Poor Ellie :(

Ag, Ellie and Penelope like this.
  33. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara GET HIM REG

Did we ever chat about the FRIENDLY BEARDY SANTA one who was apparently a lovely man with a warm personality, kind to pets, etc. and liked chopping up the gays or some such? I mean we’ve ALL met the sort...

34. dUb

dUb IFFY

35. cwej

cwej User

I too completely forgot this thread when I watched the documentary, which I thought was excellent. The Basic Instinct stuff (his questioning in the police station for example) was insane. And the use of Sharon Stone's character's ex as his alter-ego... it was so clever. Like a genuine mystery movie... but it was a documentary.

36. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

Another out of movies situation happening now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rcmp-weapon-lockdown-portapique-1.5537598

37. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Same, I actually searched the name of the documentary (Don't Fuck with Cats) on Moopy after watching, but couldn't find anything. I found the "Manny" character somewhat genius (in a serial killer type of way) but he was clearly acting alone. The Basic Instinct parallels at the end of the doc were chilling.